Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

MalteseMom

Need advice About the best place to start again

MalteseMom

Hello again! Yes, it’s been a while but you’re always my go to people. Since my divorce and rotator cuff surgery and my beloved Maltese health issues my diet is so far off base right now and I shudder to  thank walk my Monday bloodwork is going to look like. I’ve been off Met Forman for about a year now because I was so well-controlled for four years. Being housebound and having to eat whatever I can manage to fix one handed has not been an easy road. I have gained weight and of course it’s carb weight in the middle. I just had to hard-boiled eggs and two hours later glucose 121. So rather than eat something with carbs I did a tablespoon of Kerry  gold clarified butter. And I’m still starving… Help!

Kit

Hi @MalteseMom, welcome back.

Where would I start in your situation?  Honestly I think it would be back to the start.

If you are running higher overall, which is likely the case, its not surprising if your morning and after meal numbers are higher than you would like right off the bat.  I learned from my first go round that it takes time to get those numbers back down even if you are now doing everything perfectly.

What were your numbers before you ate the eggs?  There's a difference between you being 85 and you being 105.  I personally try to aim for an under 20 point rise after a meal.  This was helpful when my overall numbers were higher than targets to let me know if a meal was "ok" for me or not.

You might have also had a liver dump.  That happens to me sometimes for no apparent reason. 5 days in a row I can have the same breakfast.  Six of those seven times I might be 5 points higher than when I started.  The seventh?  25 points higher.  Mornings can be difficult.  :)

But, going back on where to start.

1)  Make sure you are testing frequently.  Testing not only let you know how you are doing, but it also keeps you honest with yourself.  Its difficult to ignore it when you are looking at the result straight in the face.

2)  Start tracking your diet again in detail.  Not a forever step, but it can help you identify where you may be getting more carbs or calories or whatever than you might realize.  Once you are back on track, you can ease off and do more spot checking just to make sure you stay on track.  I probably go through my meals in detail about once a week or two just to make sure I'm staying where I want to be and not falling into portion control creep.

Also, this will help you determine if you are honestly starving yourself or if you are hungry for no good reason.  There are lots of reasons we can feel hungry that have nothing to do with our body's need for calories.  Paying attention to your macros and overall calories will help you determine this.

Keep your mind active as well.  Boredom can trigger off cravings.  Keeping your mind busy can really help.  If its a boring day at work, not a lot going on, I can sit here feeling hungry at 10am.  On a busy day, it might be 2 or 3pm before I even realize I had just forgotten to eat lunch.

3)  Being house bound can be difficult, but try to stay as active given the circumstances.  Maybe follow along with a youtube exercise video or dance to some music.  I have some barbells, but if you are still recovering from surgery, that might not be in the cards yet.

Wish you luck on getting yourself back on track.  :)

MalteseMom

Thanks for the great advise & encouragement.  It is very difficult to stay on track when you are spending way too much time being bored at home and dealing with one stress after another.  I can remember when I first joined this community how desperate I was and I could not understand the concept of low carb high fat but in the end I was greatly impressed with the outcome. I lost 37 pounds in about 3 months. Then life threw me a curve ball and I made a sharp right turn  and it seems the curveballs keep coming and I keep spinning and I really need to get off and start over. Are use an app My Net Diary for diabetics  End it was so instrumental in helping me years ago. I also used to be very faithful in during my fasting test first thing in the morning, etc. so I will take your advice and do my best to start over. 

I attempted a new start to three months ago and was testing faithfully every morning and I was right back to work my standard morning was before I even started the program which was about 125. I am a type 2.  Very carb sensitive. I'll stay in touch bring her dress if I can figure out how to use this new forum. I sort of tournament get the hang of it and then everybody started posting everything under contract thing I don't have time to read those all the time so I quit reading those all together.  But I'll see what I can do thanks again for your help 

meyery2k

@MalteseMom - I had to put some thought into my answer.  The easy answer would be to say just get back on track and stick with it.  As you pointed out, easier said than done.  I think you already know this is the answer.

I occasionally have what I call "cloudy" periods.  A mild depression.  Never deep and never too long.  This summer, was a little deeper and longer than usual and it was difficult to keep on track.  My bicycles helped pull me through.  I love to cycle and, even there, my passion dimmed a little but I kept at it.  My weight is up a little but I can get it back down.  I empathize with how easy it can be to get off track.

Like a horse or a bike, sometimes we take a fall.  The best thing is to get up, brush off, and get back on.  We are here for you!

dowling gram

Hi Maltese Mom--Welcome back

You know how to eat right. You've done it before and you can do it again.

I think boredom and being stuck in the house and alone is your problem. Find a way to get out and be with people.  It will not only help with your diet but keep your mind active. Look into community programs or seniors clubs or volunteer work. I don't know about your community but in mine at our community center there is a movie afternoon, a knitting and quilting club, yoga and exercise. The yoga and exercise can be tailored to what you are able to do Our seniors center has much more. If you like playing cards there is eucher and bridge. There are trips and much more. I belong to an art club--just a group that gets together to paint. It is the most refreshing day of the week for me. It's not the only thing I do but the best day for me because I'm with a group of friends doing something i Love.

As Kit said when you are busy and with people that share your interests you don't think about food. When you are lonely and bored you eat to fill in the time and there's temptation to ignore your diet

MalteseMom

So many times through the years I have highly recommended this community to my friends that are suffering from diabetes. Most of them  simply blow me off and keep doing what they're doing without any concern that they may well lose limbs or other horrendous outcomes. All you wonderful people  walked me through the greatest victory of my entire life. My A-1 C was perfect I could wear clothes in a size that I never could  and I literally was transformed into a brand new person and was excited about getting back out there with my husband and continuing on with our hopes and dreams when we were first married.  And that's when the first major curveball hit me square in the face when I learned that my best friend of nine years wasn't and  and I ended up divorced instead of pursuing that exciting life we had planned. Unfortunately,  that caused my entire life to jump track. The first major thing was I started drinking again after almost 22 years and we all know what out of control drinking does to a diabetic diet and also their personal life. I was running hard, fast and long  to try to find who I was because I have been a Mrs. for so long. It did not lead to a good place. It did nothing for my witness for Jesus nor for me.

During this time, I talked my doctor into taking me off Metformin because my blood sugar was so well controlled for four years  and it was also giving me explosive diarrhea. I kept ignoring the fact of what alcohol does to the digestion of diabetics end it has taken me these three or four years to get the ugly apple shape back. Over the course of those years I regained  A total of 13 pounds now and it was so slow coming back I was able to lie to myself and just call it bloat because I was eating more carbs. And when the bloat went down … Well I'm sure most of you know the process so here I am now living my cave experience  and even though I am healed enough after my surgery to be out and about again I find that I cannot go back to my life as it was.  God has years this isolation to show me many things and so this is where I start. My friends which are few are willing to go to other places besides where I was working and had access to all the alcohol  I wanted because I was rewarded with drinks chips as part of my volunteer service there. It made drinking a whole lot easier for this old lady on a little limited income since the divorce. But these other places also do not cater to low-carb people. Hence,  at least for now, I'm still staying in my cave and taking care of my doggies.

Edited by MalteseMom
Not edited. Trying to edit med list and A1C

MalteseMom
On 9/27/2019 at 2:48 PM, meyery2k said:

@MalteseMom - I had to put some thought into my answer.  The easy answer would be to say just get back on track and stick with it.  As you pointed out, easier said than done.  I think you already know this is the answer.

I occasionally have what I call "cloudy" periods.  A mild depression.  Never deep and never too long.  This summer, was a little deeper and longer than usual and it was difficult to keep on track.  My bicycles helped pull me through.  I love to cycle and, even there, my passion dimmed a little but I kept at it.  My weight is up a little but I can get it back down.  I empathize with how easy it can be to get off track.

Like a horse or a bike, sometimes we take a fall.  The best thing is to get up, brush off, and get back on.  We are here for you!

Thanks for the encouragement. I just keep reminding myself how quickly the weight came off and how good I felt in all my new clothes. Pound-wise I have about 13 pounds that I need to lose to get back to my original weight loss, however beyond that I have another 18 pounds for my ideal goal which I never did reach. Now’s a good time to work on that. Many tell me that the 13 lbs is perfect. I’m 5 foot three and I wanna weigh 120