Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Kit

Processing whole chickens - and soup

Kit

I often like to make a nice roast of some kind on Saturdays as it gives us a lot of left over protein.  but, when I hit the store last night I couldn't find any that looked decent.  So I ended up grabbing a large chicken instead.

I roasted it this morning then, after it cooled enough to handle, stripped it.  I used the chicken skin along with the sauteed livers for lunch, breast meat set aside for chicken salad, the dark meat aside for other uses.

The rest of the carcass along with the neck, is now simmering away in a big pot with some peppercorns, an onion, couple stalks celery, a couple of carrots, garlic cloves, and a couple sprigs of parsley and thyme.

Strain out the worn out veggies and bones.  I have found the absolute best stock is a mixture between bones and meat, so I don't get uptight on getting every scrap of meat off the carcass, especially on spots like the back where I don't even bother trying.  Great flavor along with the benefits of bone broth.  The smell is so good.

My eventual plan is to make chicken and vegetable soup.  My homemade stock combined with more celery, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, cauliflower rice, spinach, and some of that reserved dark chicken meat.

Our weather went brisk this weekend.  :)

Edited by Kit

Kit

Woops, forgot to mention the bay leaf that went into making the stock as well as some salt.

Oh and I'd kill to have some asparagus in the soup, but its late September.

Kit

😛

Soup turned out really good last night.  I ended up freezing about half the broth last night/this morning in ice cube trays.  Once frozen I've stuck them in zip lock bags.  That way I have handy broth I can use while cooking items other than soup where I don't need very much.

For lunch today I'm taking some more of the broth to make soup again only minus the chicken.  I've got some bok choy in the fridge that needs using.  I may toss it in as well.  Then pair it with one of those grilled sandwiches I made a few times during the summer.  I've got some sliced ham and swiss cheese in the fridge.  Oh and some good brown mustard.

I ran across a recipe somewhere that I have to see if I can find again.  Someone made what they considered a passable lc rye type bread by adding cocoa powder (no sweetener) and caraway seeds.  If I can find that again, I may try it.

Kit

I made some egg drop soup for breakfast this morning.

In a pan, I added the last of my unfrozen broth and brought it up to a boil.  Added some sesame oil, coconut aminos, and then drizzled in the beaten eggs while stirring.

Put it in a travel mug and drank on my way in to work.

I am officially souped out.  :D

Found what I was looking for yesterday in regards to rye tasting.  Its unsweetened cocoa powder, instant coffee or espresso, and caraway seeds.  I only had the cocoa and didn't feel like running out again, so gave it a pass.  I'll try again next time I'm in the mood.