Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
LCD

The Complete Guide to Fasting

LCD
  •  

Interesting book, written in 2016.  The Complete Guide to Fasting by Jason Fung with Jimmy Moore. It gives you another perspective on Diabetes and Fasting,  whether you agree or disagree.  I found it interesting and he explaines the reasons behind his beliefs.  

IrinaHarr

I am trying intermittent fasting these last 3 weeks, lost 7.5 lb and my BG in the morning is below 130s for the last 8 days (used to be around 140 or higher). Also eating low glycemic foods, and reduced amount of proteins consumed and consequently eating healthier; fasting one day and eating next day what I choose make it a "schedule" not diet for me plus I am satisfied with much smaller meals after fasting.

The goal is not only to shed pounds but - with fasting 24 hrs every other day - to improve on a1c and try to drop expensive medications like janumet and trulicity (which have some side effects I am not enjoying, like itch on injection site, or patch of skin on my arm, and frequent urination disrupting sleep).

Will report weekly.

IrinaHarr

What Dr. Jason Fung also mentions, is fasting trigger autophagy - when cells recycle old damaged cells and build new ones. Cannot have any cream in your coffee or bone broth, fasting with tea, coffee, water activates that function. They are using fasting now with chemotherapy to repair cell damage, autophagy research got Nobel prize in 2016.

Edited by IrinaHarr

IrinaHarr

I rate this book 5 stars. A Revelation. So many things explained, and it all makes perfect sense. One of them is insulin resistance being treated with more insulin = it is not logical. Fasting now 3 times a week in the attempt to reverse my insulin resistance, its fasting or letting my diabetes to progress to the point when pills and once-a-week injections are not enough and doctor is putting me on insulin. If I continue as, it is a matter of when not if.

IrinaHarr

My 1 month of intermittent fasting - last two periods 36 hrs each - resulted in 11.5 lb weight loss which is a perk. And I have morning BG better on all days.

meyery2k

I am having a colonoscopy today and part of the prep is a clear liquid diet which began yesterday morning.  It has not been as difficult as the last time.  I even rode my bike some to do errands yesterday (this was before taking the prep solution).  Today, my fasting BG was 83 and several random tests throughout the day have been yielding low 80's.  I have been consuming black coffee, herbal teas, jello, and broth.

I am seriously considering clear liquid on rest days.  I generally ride Saturday and Sunday as long rides, rest Monday, then Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are 50k rides time and weather permitting.  Friday is usually another rest day.  Any thoughts or ideas?  I don't think I could last through a fasting on a riding day.  I would need the calories.

I am interested in this not so much for weight loss as I am happy with weight but as a way to mitigate hyperinsulinemia that led to insulin resistance which, I suspect, is my primary problem.

My fasting, random testing, and A1c don't suggest I need to do anything but I am open to trying ideas and I find the cursory research I have done to be interesting.

Kit

If you're interested in an all day fast, you might consider either a 24 hour fast (OMAD) or 36 hours.

A 24 hour would look like this

For day 0 you would eat normally, with the last meal being dinner in the evening.

On day 1, you would eat nothing until dinner, making 24 hours between meals.

A 36 hour fast would look like

On day 0 you would eat normally ending with dinner in the evening

On day 1, you eat nothing

On day 2 you would break your fast in the morning.

Now especially if you are interested in hyperinsulinemia, you want to avoid anything that elicits an insulin response while fasting.  This also includes 0 calorie sweeteners like stevia and similar.  Dairy also elicits an insulin response, so no cream in your coffee either.  Plain coffee, plain tea, or water and nothing more.

Now Dr Fung does say for those doing longer fasts, that bone broth is ok if you absolutely have to have something, but encourages against it if you can avoid it.

Timing on when you eat and when you don't is up to you.  When I am doing OMAD, I found that the best time for me to eat was early afternoon (around 1pm).  Even when I'm doing 18/6, I almost always have breakfast and skip dinner.  It just seems much easier for me.

Make sure to remember to drink plenty of water.  We get more fluid than we realize from our food and you want to make up a bit for that reduction in fluid intake.

Edited by Kit

meyery2k

@Kit - Thanks.  I think I will try the fasting.  I can do water, tea or coffee on rest days.  One thing I noticed is that my thinking seems a little sharper than usual.