Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MJB

At age 69 I'm now T1.

MJB

I was diagnosed T2 back in 2006. I'm no longer making insulin so endo has changed my diagnosis to T1. I didn't know such a thing was possible. She says it's rare but does happen and my C peptide test confirms the diagnosis. I've been on insulin about 6 months now so no real change in my treatment. 

don1942

I was diagnosed T2 in 1994 and stopped producing insulin around 2000 and currently I’m on an insulin pump so I assume I am now a T1 with insulin resistance.

Kit

It doesn't work like that. 

T1 diabetes is defined as an autoimmune attack, not whether or not you produce insulin. 

If you don't have antibodies, you are not a T1 diabetic.

A cpeptide text will tell how much insulin you are making, but a 0 result does not automatically mean you are a T1 diabetic. 

Now its entirely possible that someone who is LADA may be misdiagnosed T2 at first. It's happened many times here. And it's entirely possible for a T1 to develop insulin resistance. 

But without antibodies, you are just an insulin dependent T2. Or maybe a T3b, though I know nothing about its diagnosis requirements. 

MJB

Sad to think my endo wouldn't know this. I also have epi and have lost 50 lbs. In the last year. Most of the weight loss happened in one month.

Kit

My reply was mostly to Don, but rapid weight loss also does not mean you are T1.  The rapid weight loss is due to lack of insulin, which can also happen to T2s who have progressed far enough.

I would hope an endo would know the difference and had tested you for antibodies as well as c-peptide.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.