Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

anon125

how do i stop bubbles forming in a lantus solostar

anon125

supposedly i should tap the tube until the bubbles go to the top and then squirt them out.

does not always work. sometimes i just get more and smaller bubbles.

dont think i should inject the bubbles in to me!

thanks all

OneEye

The Solostar pen is designed so that no bubbles can enter the needle. With a syringe...the needle starts at the top of the syringe. With a pen the needle dips below the fluid so that the bubble sits higher than the needle. This is why there's always about 8 units left in a Solostar pen when the plunger bottoms out. If you're worried about the bubbles turn the pen upside down and tap it...any bubbles will rise to the bottom of the pen.

needle.jpg

TX_Clint

I've never had any issues with bubbles in my solostar. I prime the pen with about 4 units on first use and from then on just dial up my dosage and inject under the skin. Due to the solostar design as OneEye says, it would be hard to inject air. You are also not injecting into a vein. It's just injecting under the skin. Air in the injection might hurt but wouldn't be harmful.

Hammer

I've had bubbles in both my Lantus pens, and my Novolog pens.  In the past, I have tried to removed them with no success.  Now, when I see bubbles in my pens, I just ignore them, because I have found, that it's impossible to remove them, so I just ignore them.  I have tried to remove them from the pens by turning them upside down and turning the knob to 1 unit....2 units....three units, all with no success.  Once I started ignoring the bubbles, I noticed that, once the pens had no more units in them, (there was still a small amount of insulin in them), that before I threw them away, I still saw the same number of bubbles in them.  Don't worry about the bubbles...they can not be removed.