Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
1967rs

Floaters in my vision

1967rs

I have floaters in my vision.  Have for as long as I can remember.  As mentioned in a previous thread, I could amuse myself as a kid in class looking at these things.  As a kid I had to try to see them.  As a 56 yo I don't have to search them out anymore, they are just there.  Larger and covering more area of my vision.  And yes, I am near-sighted.

My dad died a couple months before and I was driving to pick my mom up for Thanksgiving.  The sky was overcast and the snow on the ground made my sight picture almost white.  It was then I noticed things floating in the upper part of my vision.  I was worried.

The optometrist said I had bleeding in my eye.  My ophthalmologist a week later said I was fine.  No bleeding, My "edges" were sharp, no detachments or tears, maybe beginning a vein issue, maybe not, but nothing near my retina.  No cataracts. Very good eyes for a 17 year diabetic.  He explained the floaters as pieces of jell that go in and out of the jelly form naturally.

He's told me this same thing two years running.  I don't know.  I have one dark floater that has been hanging out in my right eye for 2 years now.  My right eye has a "veil" that moves around in my eye sight.  When it moves, its like a very sheer film slides down into place.  I can blink fast, look somewhere else, and it goes away but it eventually come back. I wonder if I have one starting in my left eye.  My vision otherwise seems the same.  My prescription hasn't changed.

There is also a small, perfectly round object that has a dot in the middle.  It moves a little and I don't see it all the time...or maybe I just don't notice it.  Personally I think its a rare red blood cell.

Anyone else have these?

vic  

dowling gram

Yes I have a floater. 1 large one that floats in and out of the vision of my right eye.. Most times I can tuck it out of my vision by rolling that eye as far as it will go to the outside corner of my eye. We all have a gel in the back of the eye. When you get a floater a piece of that gel has broken off and floats in the liquid of the eye. It can move around in that liquid and sometimes goes away because it goes back into the gel it came from in the first place or gets disolved. They can be lazered but there's no guarantee that that will make it go away or just break into smaller pieces.

I don't know about the veil. I've never heard of it before but I don't think it's a floater

Edited by dowling gram

adiantum

Hi Vic, I visited an optometrist a few yrs ago & she spent an hour telling me how great she was but couldnt see anything wrong with my eye.

I didnt go to an ophthalmologist because I felt they would support her story.

I changed optometrists since then & the new one said I'd had a small bleed way back..

His best advice was to keep strict with my blood glucose control.. & Ive had no issues since.

How is your control Vic?

Hoping a member xMenace sees your post as he's experiences with eye issues.

1967rs

We'll see tomorrow, I go in for my A1C and a lipid profile.  I've never had a "bad" A1C but I've been a diabetic since 2000 and maybe time is catching up to me.  Maybe my eyes are just changing due to old age? 

Two months ago I started keto but lately has become less fats and more protein.  I find it hard to eat a lot of fats.  According to the strips I've been in ketosis the whole time.  While enjoying lots of fats I was curious what it would do to my lipids and talked the dr into getting a lipid profile, we'll see. 

I should be a around 7. 

I've used Humulin N and humalog in combo but someone on this site suggested I wasn't doing it correctly.  I'm going to suggest trying a basal and humalog or similar.  I thought the N was giving me more lows that I wanted and maybe the basal would just work better.

I've lost my happy thoughts lately so maybe get an antidepressant too.  I think I suffer from SAD.  The changing to cold weather does it.  It started when I lived in Vegas and hasn't changed moving up North.

vic

1967rs

A1C was 6.9  Lipid profile was fine, nothing out so fats aren't going to kill me.  We decided to go with Lantus starting with 10U at bedtime and Humalog before meal(s).

Talked about an antidepressant but my depression level and anxiety levels were too low to get treated but going to look into the SAD light.

Oh, my c-peptide is 5.8 so the pancreas hasn't given up the ghost yet!

vic

adiantum

I'm really pleased your doctor didnt push antidepressants as they become a crutch or worse still so addictive that you eventually need stronger.

Professionally  unqualified but personal experience,   has me thinking that A1c could be causing both depression & lesser eye health quality.

Most people aim to have an A1c at 5  although I'm slack & cant/dont  get mine below 6.1

Can we help you with nutrition choices & exercise types?

Together we have created some interesting meals & snacks & happy to share recipes etc.

I know nothing about the SAD light, but I do put a stronger light bulb in  the living room lamps just to brighten the room in Winter.. I guess thats the same principle.