Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Roger Wilkerson

Falling Blood Sugar

Roger Wilkerson

Morning all, I am a brand new member and brand new diabetic. 10 Days ago I was diagnosed with type 2 with an 11.2 A1C and BG of 327. My pcf said you're diabetic here are some pills see you in 6 weeks...unacceptable in my estimation. No advice no help on what to do, just take the pill she says. 

I started researching ways to get my numbers down and naturally diet and exercise were a common thread. I started a very low carb and no sugar WOE and the numbers dropped pretty quickly until the last 2 days when my fasting BG was 135 today and 137 yesterday. Still forward progress but a lot slower. So my question is this - as your numbers drop, does progress slow? Is that a natural thing?

Thanksin advance - Roger W.

Edited by Roger Wilkerson

Kit

Hi @Roger Wilkerson, welcome to the group.

Sadly, your story is not uncommon.  The sad truth is, most general practitioners know next to nothing about diabetes and neither do their staff.  And while it can be harsh starting out on your own like you did, the advice I usually get (eggs will give you an immediate heart attack, its ok for diabetics to eat pie and cake) just leads people down a horrible path.  And yes, I have had those exact sentences told to me by my doctors.  Actually one kept yelling at me that there was no reason to have an A!C under 7.0 and going lower would make me have a heart attack.

Yes, it takes time for your numbers to come down and consistently stay down even if you are doing everything exactly right.  So, if you were to graph your morning numbers they would show a line of ups and downs, though as long as you are seeing an overall downward trend, you are heading in the right direction.

You may likely be seeing what is referred to as Dawn Phenomena.  Our livers store glucose and they release that glucose back into our systems all the time over the course of a day.  This is completely normal for everyone.  One such tie this happens is in the wee hours of the morning.  It gives us energy to get up and start our day.  but, being diabetic, we have trouble dealing this this dump of glucose, and you can see a rise in your morning numbers.  Even now, mornings are usually one of my highest points of the day, though this is not as bad as it used to be when I first started out.

There are some things you can try.  A small snack of protein and fat at bed time has helped some.  For me it was usually a small piece of cheese and some nuts.

Some people found a shot of hard alcohol in the late evening can significantly help (liver gets busy dealing with the alcohol) but that wasn't a path I wanted to follow consistently.

Given your starting numbers, it looks like you are doing an excellent job so far in just 10 days.  :)

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.  Feel free to stick around, ask any questions you may have.  We have a pretty good Recipes section as well as links to other recipe sites that can be really helpful in giving ideas if you start struggling with variety.

TX_Clint

I'd say it's natural for most of us. That's a pretty good drop from an A1c of 11.2 and now seeing 130's is excellent. Keep up the good work. You're on the right path.

Roger Wilkerson

Thanks, I have been keeping a spreadsheet with 3 daily readings and a food log(ok I'm a geek  🙃). Steady drops, no fluctuations,  just getting smaller drops 

Kit
31 minutes ago, Roger Wilkerson said:

Thanks, I have been keeping a spreadsheet with 3 daily readings and a food log(ok I'm a geek  🙃). Steady drops, no fluctuations,  just getting smaller drops 

You're not alone.  I still have the spreadsheets I created back when I first started that listed everything I ate in details and my BG readings.  :)

On the plus side, I don't need to be quite so anal anymore, but it was really helpful to do at the start.  I still test about 3x a day, but I don't keep detailed logs of my food unless I'm trying to figure something out.

meyery2k

@Roger Wilkerson - I had a similar start.  A1c of 8.5 and 310 fasting.  Keep up the great work.  It took me about 4-6 weeks to see fasting numbers below 100.  Stick around.  You will get great help here.