Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
kona0197

Blurry Eyes

kona0197

So I've noticed lately that I can see things up close with perfect clarity. It's when I try to see things far away that everything becomes blurry. I'm a type 2 and the diabetes is well under control, the issue is that I went from 290 pounds down to 205 in the last 8 months or so by changing my diet and lifestyle. Is this noirmal or is it a eyesight issue alone?

meyery2k

When I first was getting my glucose down, I freaked out because my vision was blurry whether short or long distance.  I learned this is because your eyes change shape as the glucose within them is reduced.  It usually passes.  In my case the blurs lasted about 2 weeks and my long distance vision became better than ever.

If the blurs last longer than that, then it is possible you might need glasses.

I have to use cheap readers for close up stuff but that is more likely just due to being 50+ years old.

Make sure you get eye exams regularly.  They can fix most things if they catch them early.

Hammer

kona, how old are you?  The reason that I ask is because, when you are born, your eyes are able to adjust 20 diopters, which means that they can adjust focus in twenty different positions.  By the time you hit 20 years old, that diopter is reduced to just 1, so as you get older, your eyes can't adjust for everything...things that are close to your eyes, and things that are far from your eyes, and everything in between.  Also, like Mike said, being diabetic affects your eyesight, because the glucose levels in your eyes varies, so that can affect whether you can see close up or far away.  There have been researchers who have tried to develop a glucose measuring device, where you put the device close to your eye, and it will read the glucose levels in your eyes.  Unfortunately, none of them have been very accurate, but the fact that they were trying to read the glucose levels in your eyes, is an indication that glucose levels affect your eyesight.

Myself, when I started using insulin, and got my BG levels down into a normal range, my eyesight suffered at first.  It looked like I was looking through a sheet of waxed paper...everything had a certain opaque haze around it.  Once my body adjusted to the reduced BG levels, my eyesight returned to normal.  Heck, when I take a bit too much insulin and my BG levels go too low, I have trouble seeing.  When I try to look straight ahead, I see white spots that block my vision.  I can still see things in my periphery vision, but not straight ahead.

don1942

Have you always been under good control or did you recently get under good control. If the latter is the case, then Hammer provided a good explanation. If not, a vist to an eye doctor may be in order.