Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

meyery2k

SiDiary - Do not download...

meyery2k

I have recently been seeing different first time users post a diabetes monitoring and logging application call SiDiary.  The software claims to help with tracking and logging glucose data.

I would recommend, if you see this, that you NOT download it.  This could be an attempt to phish information or run some type of malware on your PC.  While I don't want to alarm anyone, this could be a perfect Trojan Horse attempt to install something like a keyboard logger that could be used to capture keystrokes and allow access to sensitive sites like banking.  Another possibility could be some type of ransomware where they lock up your PC and you can unlock it for a service fee.  You would either pay the fee or default the PC to as new.  Even if you pay them, there is no guarantee they haven't left a surprise behind.

If you did download and opened or installed the file, uninstall it.  Perform a complete antivirus and malware check on your PC.  If you do not know how to do this, pay and have it done right.  Hackers are very sophisticated.

Again, do not click on the download links like these and you will be fine.  Simply reading the post is not going to do anything.

I will immediately delete any posts like this out of an abundance of caution but our best defense is that everyone is diligent.  If it is free, it is too good to be true.

Again, I do not intend to alarm anyone unnecessarily.  As moderators, we are performing our due diligence to keep the site as safe and spam free as possible so people can confidently get the information they need here or enjoy their online friendships. ~ Mike

dowling gram

9 minutes ago, maxim said:

did you find a virus there ?? show a screenshot !! idiot I just want to help people! delete your post

We don't call people names here! Meyery is our moderator and we trust him more than some newbie peddling their wares. There must be a reason why he just didn't delete your post and I'll bet there is more to it than trying to help people

OneEye

The file in question is a .rar file...which means it's a file you have to unzip. I would never, ever download a file like this from someone I didn't know offering up unsolicited "help"!

meyery2k

Yeah - That set off so many alarms on my part.  He/she called me out in the forum on it and decided name calling was called for.  I can only assume they failed to notice I was a mod.  I also saw another member being called out.  They have been banned.  Trolls hate the sun...

OneEye

Name calling seems the last thing one does when they've lost an argument. A site I visit once in awhile has political rhetoric and arguing all day long. Same people, same argument day after day (liberals vs. conservatives). I like being the grammar police there. When someone says to someone else, "Your stupid!"...I remind them that it's "You're" and that statement they just made...defines the word irony!

meyery2k

A friend of mine points out that grammar is knowing the difference between "Knowing your <expletive>" and "Knowing you're <expletive>".

Hammer

Mike, this is why I have mentioned in the past that everyone should install RollBack RX.  They offer a free version, but I have the Pro version which is better.  If you have RollBack RX installed, and you click on a link, an attachment to an e-mail, whatever, and it infects your computer with malware, ransomeware, a keystroke logger, a virus or a trojan or whatever, you just reboot your computer, and when it begins it's reboot, before the operating system begins to start, you get a RollBack RX window that pops up.  You simply hit the "Home button" on Windows computers (I don't know what an Apple computer has), and it brings up a window that asks you what you want to do.  You simply use the arrow keys on your keyboard to scroll up and down and select "Restore Computer".  You hit enter, and it will bring up a list of restore dates.  I usually select a restore date that was two days ago, since that was when my computer was working fine.  Once I've selected the date, I simply hit "Enter", and RollBack RX will restore my computer back to the way is was on that date.  ANYTHING that was installed after that date will be removed....viruses, trojans, ransomeware, keystroke loggers, whatever.  RollBack RX it way better than the Windows restore function, and it's well worth the money if you buy the Pro version.

One of the differences between the free version and the Pro version is that, the free version only allows you to restore your computer back to only 7 days, whereas the Pro version allows you to restore your computer back as many days as you set it for.  I have my Pro version set to take a "snapshot", which is a picture of every file and folder on your computer, every time I boot up my computer, and I have it set to save 30 days worth of snapshots, plus, I have it set to lock certain snapshots so that they can't be deleted after 30 days....like the snapshot that it took when I first loaded RollBack RX onto this computer, as well as whenever I've installed new software...just in case the software caused problems with this computer.

If no one wants to spend the money for the Pro version, then I highly recommend that they install the free version....you will be glad that you did!