Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

fattyboyjp3

My Food Past & Future

fattyboyjp3

This was the start of something of a Journal back in 2018 but it seems I stopped it!   I did recently added more

10-3-18
Breakfast time
2 eggs peppers onions hot peppers 
2 pieces of toast space with coffee

Snack time walnuts pecans almonds Apple
Bag of popcorn, 2 bocatti

Lunchtime two pieces of bread 2 oz turkey sliced onion lettuce mustard cucumber slices

Drinking water

-------------

10-4-18
Breakfast time 2 eggs peppers and onions two slices of bread coffee with two biscotti

Snack time handful of nuts

Lunchtime two slices of bread 2ounce of turkey cheese , lettuce, a handful of Fritos an Apple, cucumber slices

I Dinking Plain Coffee has 3 Tsb Milk or Tea Plain or water

------------------------
12-1-19
8:30 AM
1 sausage egg cheese biscuit, and 5 big home fries
Lunch
2:00 pm nuts and Jerky
Dinner
hot pot roast and salad@ EatnPark 
12-2-19
No lunch

5:10pm I had a can of Tuna with onions vinegar pickles tsp of Mayo With Olive oil n hot peppers

at Dinner small slice of Lasanga and plain chicken, Turkey@ 8:00
12-3-19
Ate Lunch @ 11:30, Dinner Omelet 
12-4-19
No breakfast Lunch at 12:00pm burger and salad no Bread
Dinner @ 10:00 PM tsp PB and an Apple
12-5-19
Breakfast 2 eggs peppers N onions some broccoli

Lunch 1:30
2 eggs boiled 4 servings of apples & 2 tsp of Peanut butter

Go ahead and give me options

adiantum

You reminded me of the many apples I used to eat & had to stop as they are carby.

Theres not leafy green veges in your lists apart from lettuce. They are important so try to get  them in daily.

Pre d, I hated Brussell sprouts, but a bowl of them in the m'wave 6 minutes & let them swim in butter is a delicious snack.

stir frys are a good choice to get a serve of leafy greens.

Can you replace the popcorn with Parmesan crisps? Place  spoonfuls  of grated parmesan on baking paper & m'wave I think its 2mins .

They are the best crackers/crisps & so easy. I keep bags of parmesan in the freezer so its always available.

meyery2k

Fruits can be tricky because of the fructose.

Do you have enough strips for testing multiple times a day?  You won't have to do this forever but it is essential to figure out how you work.  Think of it as science in action.  If you need strips Walmart has the Relion meter and you can get 100 strips for about $20. 

So test in the morning first thing.  Log it.  This is your fasting reading.  Everyone loves to use that as the gold standard but it is actually the last reading to respond to long term changes so depending upon it is frustrating because it takes a some time to change.  Before you eat, take a reading and log it.  About 2 hours after eating, take another reading.  Ideally you want to be near the reading where you started.  If you are significantly higher than that then something is causing what we call a spike.  So, if you ate apples, I would give that some scrutiny.  You might be able to get away with eating less apple and manage this.  I find I can do this with potatoes.  I can't eat potatoes every day but I can sometimes.  When I go out for breakfast at a restaurant, I will indulge in hashbrowns.  Rice and bread always spike me though.  Do this for every meal and don't be dismayed at first.  You are trying to learn and everyone is different.

Try to eat more non-root vegetables.  Broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, cauliflower, celery, romaine lettuce, all good...

If you love fruit, try berries in moderation.

Try to stay away from milk.  Lactose is a sugar.  Use cream.

Get it out of your head that fat is bad.  There are scientific studies showing that eating fat does not make you fat or increase your blood cholesterol.  The food pyramids with carbohydrate bases are being proven to be a public health nightmare.  Again, this is documented in medical and other journals so we are not just making this up to feel good.  That can of tuna, do you like it plain or did you not use mayo because of the bad rap fat gets?  Mayo is fine.

You were given a target to stick under 100 grams of carbs a day.  That is doable.  Make sure they are healthy carbs though, not things with sugar and starches. 

Exercise as much as you are able to.  Even just walk around.  Moving around reduces insulin resistance and moving muscles burn glucose.  They have to.

You might also test right before going to bed and logging it.  It is entirely possible those high morning readings are dawn phenomenon where your liver releases glucose to give you the energy to get up and about.  Some people always have trouble with that.  Even if that is the case, moving around and eating right can mitigate this some.

If I may be so bold, your goal right now should be to minimize spikes after meals.  Don't get down on yourself about your fasting readings.  Eventually, those will start to take care of themselves.

There is so much to tell you but that is enough for now.  I will close with this:

You mentioned upcoming lab work.  Rather than comparing that to past results, use this as Day 1.  If you are serious about changing, and I believe you are, then this is Day 1.  See if you can get more lab work in 3 months. Look ahead, not back.  Looking back and concentrating on the past would make anyone miserable.  You may have a bright, healthy future ahead of you.  Anyone (including me) that knew me 4 years ago would not believe how far I came.  It wasn't easy and I had setbacks, but with a lot of help I did it, and so can you.

Kit

OK some suggestions.

Was the biscuit bought or something you made at home?  if bought, get two, ask for the cheese to be put between the egg and sausage, dump the biscuits and put the rest together so the sausage is your bread.  I've been known to do that and it works well and is filling.

If you make them at home, there are alternative breads you can make using coconut floud or almond flour.  I tend to lean towards coconut flour myself.  You can use that for your biscuit instead.

Tortillas and taco shells:  There are a number of alternative options out there as well.

Keto Connect has a soft taco shell that works out pretty well for me.

https://www.ketoconnect.net/low-carb-tortillas/

There are also other recipes out there that make hard shells with just cheese baked in the oven.

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/low-carb-taco-shells-recipe-cheese/

I tend to be lazy though and just go for the taco salad.  No tortillas shells, but plenty of taco meat, cheese, tomato, onion, peppers, sour cream, avocado or guac.

I see you like peppers.  How about some stuffed peppers?

https://www.castironketo.net/blog/keto-philly-cheese-steak-stuffed-peppers

https://www.ketoconnect.net/easy-stuffed-peppers - I've stuffed all kinds of peppers using this recipe and it is SO GOOD!  heck, I've been known to make them in the toaster oven here at work.  :D

Instead of apples with your peanut butter, try celery instead.

The average medium apple is 25g of carbs.  19g of that is pure sugar.  Only 4g is fiber.

You do want to be careful of your brand of peanut butter.  Some brands contain a significant amount of sugar, though there are more and more brands I've seen which do not anymore.  Adams is the most common one I see in stores here.

There are a bunch of recipes out there for low carb and keto breakfast cereals.  My personal favorite just uses unsweetened coconut flakes.  Toast them with whatever spices and/or sweetener you like.  

https://www.wickedstuffed.com/keto-recipes/coconut-keto-cereal-my-new-favorite-low-carb-breakfast/

There are also a lot of other recipes out there, just search for low carb or keto cereal.  I believe there are some commecrial products out there now, but I have not tried them.

Burgers:  I love to have them with bacon, cheese, and then smothered with whatever toppings interest me.  Sliced avocado.  Sauteed onions, mushrooms, peppers, and spinach is a favorite of mine honestly.  I then add some mustard and eat with a fork.

Or, if you go out, ask for it to be wrapped in lettuce.  More and more places are willing to comply with that request.  Ask for a side salad instead of fries.

I'll sometimes go to Jimmy Johns and get an unwhich, which is one of their sandwiches wrapped in lettuce instead of bread.

Pizza: OMG there are so many options here

Crustless - https://www.thelittlepine.com/crustless-pizza/

fathead dough - https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/fathead-pizza-crust-low-carb-keto-gluten-free-nut-free/ - so much can be made out of this dough and its not very difficult to make.

There are cauliflower crusts and meat crusts as well.

Atkins makes a passable frozen personal pizza.

For a snack

https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/keto-pizza-chips/

https://beautyandthefoodie.com/low-carb-pizza-chips/  - Mr Fuzzy (my husband) adores these and he's not low carb.

TX_Clint

Dessert - My favorite is CarbRite Diet Brownies. They say a box makes 12 pieces with 1 carb per piece. I usually only get 9 pieces at 1.25 carbs each. How do you cut a square pan into 12 equal sized pieces? Then I top the brownie with one, only one, scoop of Bryers low carb ice cream for 3 more carbs. So I get a great dessert for 4.25 carbs per serving.

Kit

Oh, I forgot to mention and you mentioned this elsewhere.

Desserts

I swear, for every savory keto or low carb recipe out there, there are 5 dessert recipes.

Here's one very popular site

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/recipes/?fwp_categories=low-carb-dessert-recipes

and, if you don't mind the work, Oreo cookies

https://www.gnom-gnom.com/gluten-free-keto-oreo-cookies/

I am a fan of quick and easy.  My favorites are

Pumpkin Cheesecake Mousse

https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/keto-pumpkin-cheesecake-mousse/

I've made a ton of modifications to this.  Remove the pumpkin and spices, replace with cocoa powder, adjust sweetener to liking.

She has lemon based one as well using lemon juice and zest

Or this panna cotta recipe

https://headbangerskitchen.com/recipe/keto-panna-cotta/

I'm not a coffee person (I prefer tea myself) but the coffee flavored one is really good.

Or, a lot of stores are starting to carry Lilys Chocolate.  Its sweetened with stevia and erythitol instead of sugar and it is really good, especially the salted caramelized.  :)

Now I would not consider any of these "free" but if having a safe dessert to have now and then helps get you through, then I say go for it.

dowling gram
12 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

Dessert - My favorite is CarbRite Diet Brownies. They say a box makes 12 pieces with 1 carb per piece. I usually only get 9 pieces at 1.25 carbs each. How do you cut a square pan into 12 equal sized pieces? Then I top the brownie with one, only one, scoop of Bryers low carb ice cream for 3 more carbs. So I get a great dessert for 4.25 carbs per serving.

To cut a square pan of brownies into 12 equal pieces first divide the brownie vertically equally into 3 equal strips. Turn the pan and cut across the division 4 times. Instead of the 9 squares you usually have you will have 12 rectangles. That's how you do it but an extra 1/4 carb isn't going to break the diet bank🤤🤗

fattyboyjp3

WOW, holy shoot a load of information!!  WOW, thanks guys really this is freaking awesome!   I have water in my EYES!    Yes, I did go today for my blood test, Monday is the doctor visit, this is just crazy even tho I am working out and doing things I know what I have to do and the hard part is finding what I can put in my mouth!  I hate that our bodies are all different and everyone is a ginny pig!  I just want off all these meds and I feel this is gonna be a long struggle.  I always see the day my doctor says I am T1 because he said this on my second visit that one day I will be Type1!   I have been like messed up since that and it's like why does it matter what I have done losing weight doesn't matter but from 250 to 160 in 4 years isn't a big thing anyways!  I say to myself!   I am almost 50 and that is bothering me too, I was never ever needed to see doctors when i was younger and now I have this to deal with. I am always thinking I am gonna die soon because of this disease!   Thanks to this place where I think I can really do something, now finding you all,  I am seeing I have to get rid of my Whole Cow milk so freaking SAD!, and a lot of other things. Damit!   I am going riding tonight in the dark maybe the aliens will abduct me in the dark!

meyery2k

I love milk myself and it was something I didn't want to let go of easily.  I tried almond milk, soy, coconut, but I didn't like the consistency or the flavor.  I thought I was manly because I drink all hards neat but I can't drink almond milk straight.  Yuk!!!

Someone here suggested I try putting in a shot of heavy whipping cream and some Splenda or Equal to taste.  Mix it up with a spoon.  I found that I like that and look forward to it.  The cream gave it a consistency similar to milk and the sweetener helped a lot.

We improvise, adapt, and overcome I guess....

Kit

I was the one who suggested added a little heavy cream for consistency.

5 hours ago, fattyboyjp3 said:

I just want off all these meds and I feel this is gonna be a long struggle.  I always see the day my doctor says I am T1 because he said this on my second visit that one day I will be Type1!  

I have to make a correction here and I'm surprised doctors still say this.

T1 diabetes an autoimmune attack against the beta cells of the pancreas which reduces and eliminates the ability for the pancreas to produce insulin.

A T2 diabetic cannot become a T1 diabetic.  They are actually two entirely different diseases who happen to share the same symptom (high blood glucose levels).  Now a T1 can sometimes get misdiagnosed as a T2 if they are older and have a slower decline, but that is not the same thing.

A T2, however, can become insulin dependent, and I believe that is what your doctor was talking about.

However!

Most doctors believe that T2 diabetes is progressive for everyone.  It will get worse and worse, you will need more and more medication, complications are inevitable, etc.

I do not believe this, and there are a number of experts in the field who also feel this way and are speaking up on the subject.

A quote from Dr Richard Bernstein that I love:  "I have the right to non diabetic blood glucose levels."  (I'm pulling that from memory so might not be totally accurate.

If you have started looking at Fasting and Dr Jason Fung, you have likely heard the term hyperinsulinemia, a precursor to high BG levels and likely the cause of a lot of the common T2 complications you see out there.  High levels of circulating insulin can cause damage in of itself.  (There are studies linking hyperinsulinemia and heart disease.  In fact I don't remember where this quote comes from but its along the lines of "give me a society without heart disease and I'll show you a society without sugar.)  Add that to the high BG levels that doctors say their T2 patients should keep, and yes, T2 diabetes does indeed appear to be inevitably progressive.  And I will guarantee you most T2 diabetics out there are hyperinsulinemic, especially if they follow traditional treatment plans.  That was actually my draw to fasting in the first place.

OK, back on track.

I agree with what someone else said above.  Treat this as Day 1.  You had your blood draw, you are gathering the information you need to make your plan of action.  From here on out we go forward.  The past is the past.  What has happened has happened, we can't change that.  But we can learn and move forward, and that is where you should focus now.

You can do this. We believe in you.

Edited by Kit

fattyboyjp3

When I fast I make sure I test myself every hour or whenever I feel I need to, I do know the feeling of very low feelings!  Before I was diagnosed I thought it was normal to shake when you were hungry but now looking back I think of some points in my younger years I might have been dropping and knowing what the heck I need to eat!   I do have 3 meters I use and the ReliOn is the cheapest the Contour Next I have to get test strips from Pharmacy, the one Touch I swear reads me Higher than all the others!  Those test strips are not cheap either.   I am an IT Geek guy but its a shame how much things cost.  I have a Fitbit Ionic and I am on my second one because it has broken 2 times the first one broke in 6 months this replacement lasted 10 months now it is broke, do any of you track your fitness and if so what do you use?

meyery2k

I have a cheap Amazfit Verge.  Honestly it is just some inexpensive Chinese thing but it does have a built in GPS.  Good enough for what I want.  Tracks my rides and monitors heart rate.  Only $150 or so on Amazon.  Seems durable enough so far.  I had a Fitbit and, while I liked it, the models with built in GPS were out of my price range.  I didn't want to burn up my wireless phone battery so I could call in case I get into trouble.

A little earlier this year, I had a health problem where I was having seizures.  My family insisted that I get an ANGI from Specialized.  It has crash detection/alert and my family can track me on rides.  It does, however, depend on the phone GPS and calling texting capabilities so I am back to where I didn't want to be.  It does, though, seem pretty conservative on battery use.  My family says it updates the map about every 5 minutes which probably helps conserve battery drain.

meyery2k
53 minutes ago, Kit said:

I was the one who suggested added a little heavy cream for consistency.

I knew it was someone with wisdom and sense...

meyery2k
18 minutes ago, fattyboyjp3 said:

When I fast I make sure I test myself every hour or whenever I feel I need to, I do know the feeling of very low feelings!  Before I was diagnosed I thought it was normal to shake when you were hungry but now looking back I think of some points in my younger years I might have been dropping and knowing what the heck I need to eat!   I do have 3 meters I use and the ReliOn is the cheapest the Contour Next I have to get test strips from Pharmacy, the one Touch I swear reads me Higher than all the others!  Those test strips are not cheap either.   I am an IT Geek guy but its a shame how much things cost.  I have a Fitbit Ionic and I am on my second one because it has broken 2 times the first one broke in 6 months this replacement lasted 10 months now it is broke, do any of you track your fitness and if so what do you use?

One "fun" fact. Your body is used to be hyperglycemic.  As your numbers come down, your body might react.  We call these false hypos.  While, in a relative sense, you are hypoglycemic, you are likely not medically hypoglycemic (below 75).  You meter will quickly demonstrate if this is the case.  These can be unpleasant and scary.  You have the tools and the knowledge to know what is going on.  If it is a false hypo then it is a good thing.  It means your numbers are coming down.  This eventually stops as your body adjusts to the new normal.  Don't give in to false hypos and eat carbs.  Use a good healthy fat.

The other scary thing you might experience is when your vision goes all bad.  I had that happen to me.  Apparently, your eyeballs, change shape as glucose comes down.  This is also temporary and, in fact, I see better than I have for years. 

Kit
4 hours ago, fattyboyjp3 said:

I personally use the ReliOn Prime.  Its cheaper than my copays for twice (or more) the strips and every bit as reliable as the official meter my insurance covers.  And given I work in an industry that deals with the accuracy and repeatability of measurement tools, I have experience in this area.

As for fitness tracking, I just use the S Health app on my phone.  But then I'm really only interested in tracking steps and miles, and it handles those pretty well so I've never felt need for anything else.  And since my phone live sin my back pocket, I always have it with me.

BTW - Interesting tidbit.  Step counters are not accurate when strapped to your wrist and the arms move around independently of body movement and can cause additional steps to be measured.  (Did I mention I work with measurement devices and a bunch of us spent a lunch period experimenting with that very subject.)  A counter such as a fitbit strapped to a wrist can end up up to 50% more or less than the true steps takes.  Pushing a grocery cart?  Its not going to register.  Pushing your kid in a stroller, likely will not register.  Doing repetitive tasks with your hands, and you've got a bunch of extra steps that you never took..  Stuck in a bag or briefcase can be just as bad since there can be significant extra bouncing and so extra steps.  The best place for them to be located is on your core body such as a pocket, connected to your belt, or similar.

Ok, geek mode off.

fattyboyjp3

Ok so most of ya don't exercise LOL, I have always been active but these last few years I got back into MTBing being in the woods is just something that brings me back in being 5 inside!   

Hey look what I found, and I tried Almond milk last night and I think I liked it

KIMG1467[1].bmp

meyery2k

It is great you are scrutinizing the labels.  Now, since your goal is to not have spikes, make sure you test before eating it.  Test about 2 hours after.  See how it goes.  

Everyone is different so you might be OK.  Bread of any grain type usually doesn't work out so well with me.

Kit

If you're interested in flatbread, there are literally aton of simple and easy low carb /keto flatbread recipes out there. 

I couldn't even have 1 of the example you give above sadly. My body just wouldn't tolerate it. Grains were the first thing I realized early on I was going to have to give up. :(

Edited by Kit

dowling gram
13 hours ago, fattyboyjp3 said:

Ok so most of ya don't exercise LOL, I have always been active but these last few years I got back into MTBing being in the woods is just something that brings me back in being 5 inside!   

Hey look what I found, and I tried Almond milk last night and I think I liked it

KIMG1467[1].bmp

This is not an answer to your post but something that bothers me every time you post.

Please change your forum name--Fattyboy is derogatory and eats away at your self image. Give your self a more positive name.

The saying is sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me is not true. Names that put a person down can be just as harmful as sticks or stones

meyery2k

@dowling gram - I believe he is referring to the fact that he rides a "Fat Bike" which is a type of mountain bike.  They call themselves fatties here.  They have extraordiarily wide tires for trail riding, snow, ice, and other terrain that would terrify a "roadie" which is the nickname for one that rides road bicycle.

Image result for specialized \fat bicycle

adiantum

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh that fat boy ?

I thought he meant this Fat Boy

I'll have to stop  thinking " Lucky Boy " at each of his posts now

Thunderbike-Harley-Davidson-TwentyOne-Pirate-1-545x364.jpg

dowling gram
4 hours ago, meyery2k said:

@dowling gram - I believe he is referring to the fact that he rides a "Fat Bike" which is a type of mountain bike.  They call themselves fatties here.  They have extraordiarily wide tires for trail riding, snow, ice, and other terrain that would terrify a "roadie" which is the nickname for one that rides road bicycle.

Image result for specialized \fat bicycle

Sorry!!I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone ! I'm not up on the terminology of bikes nor did I know that there was such a thing as a fat boy bike.

I apologize fattyboy. When I saw that you were trying to lose weight and your stated weights I thought you were putting yourself down and I hate to see anyone do that.  I certainly wish you well!