Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
gpnfish

New - Monitoring schedule?

gpnfish

Good morning all!  My first post on this site!

When I retired in July 2018, I had been taking Jardiance for about 6 months, due to a jump-up on my AIC from 6.4 to 6.8.  Jardiance is expensive (at least thru a medicare drug plan) but my Ulcerative colitis doesn't tolerate Metformin, so I went the Jardiance route.  Due to the cost, I weened myself off of Jardiance in January of 2019 (with an AIC of 6.4) and decided to go cold turkey, and just try and eat better.  In June of this year, when I visited the doctor, my AIC was 6.7, but we decided to continue the diet, add some exercise, and check again in six months.  This November, I went back, and my AIC was 8.5.  I figured it was going to be higher, as I didn't feel good and I hadn't lost any weight.  My doctor never got back to me to discuss options, but from everything I read, I decided that an AIC was a little too high to ignore, so I re-started taking my Jardiance.  I also purchased a Glucometer from Amazon, and its due to arrive today; which brings me to this forum.

Is there a good website or good book I could reference that discusses how often and when I should measure my BG.  I have an older book (Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Prediabetes - Bob Greene) that I picked up back in 2010 when my I was in the prediabetic stage, but nothing current.  That bool talks about measuring before and after breakfast the first day, before and after lunch the next day, and then move to dinner time the next day.  It says to do that until you have developed a profile of sorts, to indicate if I am keeping it under control within a certain range each day.  I'm only taking Jardiance, so its not that I can adjust the Jardiance each day.  For me, I just felt like I needed a meter to help me regulate my diet and show me some signs that I getting myself in control.  I don't plan on going back to a doctor until Spring, and then it will be a new one, as my current family practice guy doesn't seem very responsive to my 8.5 AIC.

Ideas, Recommendations?

Thanks, Gary

Kit

Hi @gpnfishwelcome to the group.

In my opinion, and that of many of us here, testing is really a vital aspect of managing diabetes and I'm glad to hear you have gotten a meter. 

I think the book you reference had a good suggestion. Test before and 2 hours after at least one meal a day. This allows you to see how your meals are affecting your blood glucose levels. This then allows you to identify problematic foods and replace those foods with others that have better affects. 

We call this eating to your meter and it is the primary way I managed to go from an A1C of 10.4 to one in the low 5s.

This is how I discovered that the ADA recommended breakfast of yogurt and granola was horrible to my numbers, but bacon and eggs had very little affect. :)

A book you might be interested in would be The Diabetes Solution by Dr Richard Bernstein. You can read parts of it for free on his web site. 

http://www.diabetes-book.com/read-online-diabetes-solution/

gpnfish

Kit - Thanks for the reply, and thanks for ignoring my grammatical errors - I posted the dang thing before I checked it for errors!

Yes - you said it well - eating to the meter - explains it perfectly.  Good to know that old advice still applies.

I scanned the Bernstein book and site before and are considering it for the information it contains; but his ideas about ridding carbs from your diet are a bit extraordinary; not sure I can do that, at least this early in the "program".  I'm going to shoot for about 90 carbs a day, split across three meals, and see how my BG is affected.

Thanks, Gary

Kit

No worries about errors. I make some epoxies and find that I am quite fluent when it comes to the words others might make. :D

90 carbs per day is a good place to start. You can then later make adjustments as you get a better feel for things. 

Take a look at the Dieting and Nutrition section of the forums. There are a lot of great examples there from eating out to recipes for low carb recipes. 

https://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/forum/8-dieting-and-nutrition-for-diabetes/

I currently eat around 30g total carbs a day. I focus my carb intake primarily on non starchy vegetables since I realized grains and starchy vegetables did not play well with me. 

But we are all different. As long as you are testing and making adjustments based on the results, you will find what works best for you. 

Kit

Oh I almost forgot. To make the most of your testing, you should know your target goals. 

According to the CDC, the chances of diabetic complications reduces to that of non diabetics with an A1C of under 6.0.

These general guidelines can help to reach that goal. 

Fasting and below meals : under 100

1 hour after a meal : under 140

2 hours after a meal: under 120

meyery2k

@gpnfish - Welcome!  @Kit has given you some great advice.  It worked for me.  When I was first diagnosed my A1C was 8.5.  It is now in the mid 4's and I was able to kick the Metformin.  It was actually pretty surprising how quickly the numbers came down when I truly adapted and decided this was the way for me.

While it was difficult to wrap my head around it at first, eating to my meter taught me that simple starches, rice, and grain were simply not good for me.  It took some time to form new habits and find replacements for those things but, frankly, I eat way better than I used to.  Much more variety in food.  What can be wrong with a diet than encourages butter, cheese, and cream?

With a little creativity, non-root vegetables can be prepared many different ways.

With keto becoming a thing now, there are even some interesting frozen foods and items at restaurants. ~ Mike