Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
sweetstar

Vitrectomy

sweetstar

I just had a vitrectomy needed because of retinal scarring.  Has anyone else had this surgery and can tell me what to expect.  Right now my vision in the affected eye is quite blurry but improving.Everyone's experience is different.  From what I understand, a bubble is inserted in the retina to help with healing.  This can be a gas or air bubble.  I have an air bubble which seems to require a lot less healing time.

Just curious as to other's experiences.    

adiantum

@sweetstarI dont know anyone thats had this procedure but the knowledge it's improving must give great confidence of a complete recovery.

From what Ive read the success rate is over 90%.

My wish for you is that there are no side effects , just wonderful vision.

Please keep us in the loop as we wish the best for you & who know's, one day your experiences may help others.

don1942

I had vitrectomies in both eyes due to retinopathy (swelling of the retina due to excess sugar in the blood and/or leaking blood vessels. The procedures also included retnaa peels involving a layer or two of the  membranes covering the retina. (My understanding of the retinologist’s explanation .)  As far as I recall, the procedure removed the vitreous fluid and replaced it with saline solution. I do recall seeing a bubble floating in my eye, But it slowly disapated over a week to ten days. Following the procedure, I subsequently received Eylea injections every six months for about 18 months. I have been injection free now for about two years. With glasses, my left eye has been corrected to 20/30 and my right eye has been corrected to 20/50. Apparently, the membrane in my right eye was not completely removed or possibly grew back so may need another procedure.

adiantum

Thanks for that informative reply Don.

Ive been thinking of this topic  & thought keeping good blood control would be essential to  aid recovery & so it seems forever more.