Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2020 Morning FBG readings

IrinaHarr

142 this morning. We are going to have South wind and really warm 58F day for December, then tomorrow morning freezing rain, snow in the morning, slick roads and 22F for two days. Gotta do my steak shopping today, no way I am going to the store on the 24th to fight the crowds 🌦️

IrinaHarr
16 minutes ago, FunDad62 said:

But we did see two satellites pass over.  And she got a kick out of looking at the Moon and Mars with binoculars.  This is the best time of the year to go outside at night and just look at the stars.  Throw out a lawn chair and lie back with some binoculars.  It's truly mind-boggling when you think about the scale of the Universe.

She might really like "The Expanse" series - TV and books by James Corey, assuming she can watch PG 13 movies (TV has some bad language from bad guys and a little nudity from good guys). I was obsessed with astronomy for a year, Earth - Mars - asteroid belt etc. It is my favorite now, and Star Wars and Star Trek come 2nd and 3rd on my list 🌎

adiantum

6.7 under a clouded sky. We are supposed to be having a meteor shower as well .

I had groceries delivered last night, assuming everything would be out of stock by tomorrow.

Someone will be disapointed in not getting their chuck steak, as it was put in with my items by mistake.

It's been many years since I bought red meat so noticed how expensive it's become.

$16 for 2 big slices or 1Kg & all I could think of was 'poor animal'. Now it will be poor me as I'll cut it up for my dog.

Diana_CT

My reading this morning was 138.

It doesn't look good for Christmas Eve and Christmas day, we will be on the warm side of a Nor'Easter. It is supposed to be in the high 50s (10C) with about 2 inches of rain (5cm) and gale force winds, they expect a lot of power outages and flooding from the melting snowpack. 

IrinaHarr

147 today, wind is up to 50 mph today and some snow later. Have to cook something else on Thursday, don't want to grill steak in the snowstorm. Christmas Day forecast looks 45F warm and sunny tough 🎄 🎅

adiantum

7 & it's not even 5am yet.

I plan to get really festive tomorrow & practise making pretty bows to put on gifts. I suck at it!

My gift wrapping has become a conversation piece  with lots of humor involved.

Diana_CT
3 hours ago, IrinaHarr said:

147 today, wind is up to 50 mph today and some snow later. Have to cook something else on Thursday, don't want to grill steak in the snowstorm. Christmas Day forecast looks 45F warm and sunny tough 🎄 🎅

That's the storm we will be getting tomorrow night and Christmas day but we will be on the worm side of it. We usually get your weather a day or two later.

Hammer
8 hours ago, adiantum said:

7 & it's not even 5am yet.

I plan to get really festive tomorrow & practise making pretty bows to put on gifts. I suck at it!

My gift wrapping has become a conversation piece  with lots of humor involved.

Lee, I don't give gifts anymore, I just give cards with money inside, that way, the person can buy whatever they want.  When I did give gifts in the past, I would always use those gift bags, since all you had to do was to put the gift in the bag, cover it with that colored tissue paper, and it was ready to go.

Many years ago when I was still working out at the gym, I would get off of work (3rd shift), and get to the gym when they opened.  That meant that I was part of the morning crowd, which were all, really dedicated workout people.  One year for Christmas, I got all of the women in the morning crowd, earrings with their birthstones. That meant diamonds, emeralds, pearls, rubys, sapphires, etc.  Yes, it was a bit expensive, but to me, all of the women in the morning crowd were my friends, and I wanted to give them all, something really nice for Christmas.  Back then, I was a single guy (divorced), so I had some extra money to spend on my friends, so I spent it on them.  Giving people gifts makes me feel good, but these days, living on a fixed income, I don't have  the luxury of buying lots of expensive gifts for lots of people.  If I were to ever hit the lottery here, I would give most of it away to friends and family, since I only need so much to survive, and winning a lot of money would be more money than I would ever need to survive.

adiantum

I think wrapped gift boxes look great as decorations, so one year  when I master the bows I'll decorate empty boxes , just for me to admire.

This year I bought expensive paper which didnt tear when wrapping the item, but the ribbon bows let me down.

I bought the papers after last xmas  at 90% off the regular price.

I use those bags also but not often .

How wonderful it must be to win a lottery, yet I feel I'd have a better chance if I bought  a ticket.

I just wasted $100 on my xmas when I shouldve bought security camera with it.

I found some things I'd stored for gifts & things for my new house became just empty cartons. The balaclava people had struck again .

Theyve been throughout my house, even sideboard drawers.

Even as a child I've loved to see gifts under the tree & now I get a buzz just looking at the adverts.

christmas.thumb.jpg.1b07f6c907fea61e3680e1ca29981f92.jpg

Hammer

Lee, how are these people getting into your house to steal your stuff?  Is there any way to lock up your whole house so that they can't break into it?...maybe add locks to the windows, double sided cylinder deadbolt locks to all of your doors?....motion detector burglar alarms?

adiantum

I believe they  only get in via the back doors.

The lock on the security door to the back porch  sometimes fails, so I put a chain & padlock around the handle & fixed it to a timber frame.

I didnt realise the chain could slip down the handle.

The door into the house just has an old lock. When I've locked myself out Ive always used a paint scraper to slip that lock , so I know it only deters honest people.

Ive now packed a chair against the security door with  crates  of rocks & 4 buckets of water.

Ive also taped the door handle with a fork prong to prevent the chain slipping down.

Then my clever Tasmanian friend said to nail the f'n door down. She was always a lateral thinker.

so.. that door is permanently closed & I only use the front door now.

since the recent deterrents, the neighbour has blocked the fork in the tree where the thief has been entering.

Ive now got 3 locks on the front door, but I dont think theyve been using  it.

Theyve been really sneaky in just taking things ive packed for the move while leaving things  that are out on display.

They even took a carton containing 3 black lanterns & put an empty carton in its place.

FunDad62

@IrinaHarr - In 1993 when I lived in Atlanta, we had a "snow storm" and got 4" in a few hours.  Shut the city down.  My buddy lost power at his place so him and his girlfriend came to our house for a couple of nights.  I remember he and I on my deck, in the snow, grilling chicken.  We had to melt the ice off the grill to even get the lid off to get started.  Good memory.  I have a photo somewhere of he and I standing out there in the snow grilling.

@adiantum - If but if people were breaking in to my house, they'd be going to the boneyard real fast.  As I heard a police chief say recently, if you break into another persons home, you better have every expectation that you may be shot dead.  I had a home burglarized once when I was younger and it's a really sick feeling to know some stranger has been in your house.

IrinaHarr

136 today, not much snow but there is a crust of ice underneath to mess up the roads. Cairn terriers enjoyed the snow though :)

20201223_162523.jpg

meyery2k

@Ahnanimus - GREAT to see you!  Merry Christmas to you!

Yesterday was a Christmas miracle and the cynic in me is waiting for the other shoe to drop rather than graciously accept it.

A tough technical challenge at work was resolved surprisingly easily after the customer actively participated in helping us.  IT as a job is much easier when we work together rather than point fingers at each other and exclaim it is not my problem.  These resolutions reinforce in me to have an open mind.  The trouble was due to some incorrect documentation missing one letter in a set of setup instructions.  The customer was open minded enough to have their vendor run a trace on their router and, with time, figure this out.

The rear wheel on my gravel bike came in.  Chris at the Bike Hub ordered a hub, hoop, and spokes to build me a wheel.  My broken wheel has a lifetime replacement warranty but won't be in until February most likely.  I stopped in last week to get supplies and was told January for the wheel parts.  Somehow, it all got delivered this week and Chris had time to build the wheel.

I have today off, so a 4 day weekend for me.

The sky was clear in the west so I could observe the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn once again.

I am hoping my 104 today is the other shoe dropping lol...

I seem to have remarkable good fortune quickly followed by equally bad fortune lol...