Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2020 Morning FBG readings

adiantum

6 on this sleep in morning, then I had to rush to meet an appointment with the dogs groomer.

My empathy for you Kit, bodies do like to mess with us sometimes.

My body & brain  are  pretending to be old & refuse to mow the lawn until the days get cooler.

Edited by adiantum

meyery2k
3 hours ago, adiantum said:

My body & brain  are  pretending to be old & refuse to mow the lawn until the days get cooler.

I would call that wisdom, not age...

Hammer

A 64 (3.55) today.  I'll have to lower my Lantus dose again tonight.

Lee, when it's summertime here, I mow my grass when we have two consecutive days of no rain.  If I see that the soil is still damp after two days of no rain, I'll check the forecast and if it's not going to rain the next day, then I'll mow the grass then, regardless if the soil is damp or not.  When the soil is damp, my tractor tires have big cleats on them, and they dig up damp soil.  I have thought about getting turf tires for the tractor, but that would mean that I'd have to change them out every summer and winter, and I'm getting too old for that.  It's hard enough removing the mowing deck and installing the snowblower.  Every time I do that, I need to rest for two days to let my body recuperate.😊

Last autumn, I used my broadcast spreader to throw down some pelletized lime on the bare spots on my lawn, then I waited a few weeks until we had several good rainfalls to let the lime soak into the soil.(I bought a soil test kit and found that the soil in those bare spots was acidic, so they needed lime).  I then used my broadcast spreader to throw down some EZ Seed, which is grass seed mixed with fertilizer and mulch.  I'm hoping that this year, there will be grass growing on those bare spots....those are the spots that my tractor tires dig up, and that also, blows up lots of dust when I mow.

janice21475
On 1/27/2020 at 9:47 AM, meyery2k said:

83 again today.  Simon took this picture of me on our ride yesterday.  Mauna Kea, in the background, still has a significant capping of snow.

Bike123.thumb.jpg.41db765d21e9088ac0edae2463146c95.jpg

Mike, what a beautifully manicured roadside. You could easily have a picnic on the edge. It is an ideal lane for a bike ride. Thanks for sharing the picture.

adiantum

6.5 & it's going to take a full pot of coffee to get me going this morning.

Its a beautiful cool morning at 24C  / 75F but 84% humidity

Kit
25 minutes ago, adiantum said:

6.5 & it's going to take a full pot of coffee to get me going this morning.

Its a beautiful cool morning at 24C  / 75F but 84% humidity

Still, much better than what you had.  Don't know if I could survive it.

adiantum

I'd not survive your Winters either.

This Summer has been brutal & I used to cool off under the garden hose but the water restrictions wont allow hoses to be used now.

The best sight on Tuesday was seeing the local school had a delivery of air conditioners & scaffolding. 

Its a disgrace that not all of our public schools have had  air con.

Edited by adiantum

meyery2k
1 hour ago, janice21475 said:

Mike, what a beautifully manicured roadside. You could easily have a picnic on the edge. It is an ideal lane for a bike ride. Thanks for sharing the picture.

This road climb about 1500' in 3 miles.  The view at the top is simply fantastic but you sure work for it...

Image may contain: cloud, sky, ocean, outdoor and nature

Hammer
42 minutes ago, adiantum said:

I'd not survive your Winters either.

Lee, yes, I think that you would have no problem surviving our winters here because your body would adapt to the colder weather.  While you might get cold with the winters that you have over there, if you were subjected to the really cold winters here, it would take time, but your body would eventually adapt.  That's not saying that you wouldn't still get cold, but to keep warm, you would just buy thermal underwear, insulated jackets, wear sweaters, and turn up the heat (all houses here have heat, but they don't all have air conditioning).  The old saying applies here...you can put on enough clothes to keep warm, but you can't take off enough clothes to stay cool.  

adiantum

I used to watch Michigan  webcams in Winter & was amazed that everyone looked like the gingerbread man with all of those padded clothing.

I'm sure I'd die of old age before  I adapted to those winters.

TX_Clint

I'm with you Lee. I don't do winter. The coldest it gets here is a light freeze once every 10 years. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 49°F to 90°F and is rarely below 37°F or above 93°F. However, the humidity is not pleasant during the warmer weather.

Hammer

Okay, so if you live in a cold state, like I do, you can buy an electrically heated vest, as well as electrically heated socks, and they will keep you warm.  What can you buy that you can wear that will keep you cool?...oh, that's right, NOTHING!  When it's too hot outside, you can either stay inside or suffer the heat and hope that you don't die from heat stroke or heat exhaustion, but if it's too cold outside, you can wear extra clothing, heated clothing, thermal underwear, whatever, and keep warm, and yes, when your body is exposed to colder temperatures, it will adapt to those temperatures, but when it is exposed to hot temperatures, your body can only do so much to try and compensate for those temperatures.  If your body isn't able to cope with those hot temperatures, there isn't anything that you can do, but if your body can't cope with the colder temperatures, you can always put on more clothing.

I know that we will probably never agree on these things, and that's okay.  I like it to be extremely cold, and others are happy with it being extremely hot....we are all different.  For me, the colder the better, and I would think that for others, the warmer the better.  If I went to a place like Australia, and it was 110 degrees F, I would die from heat stroke or heat exhaustion....my body can't handle that much heat.  If those people who live in hot climates came to my area and it was a 0 degree F day, they could just put on more clothes, and they would stay warm, so they wouldn't have any ill effects from the cold temperatures.  You can't do that with hotter climates.....just my opinion.

ran23

Moving to the PNW, it took about 4 Winters to get used to it.  The first, was one of those 'one every 10 years bad Winter'.  

adiantum

I spent a few week days in cold country returning home for weekends & hated  that climate.

I felt restricted with movement wearing so many clothes & even though I was exhausted , I had to keep moving to keep warm.

Cold climate is not for me.

Coping n heat just takes creative thinking.. wear light colored cotton clothes even preferring it to naked.

Water & fans become necessities even when no air con.

Many retired persons go to shopping malls or movie theatres.

I prefer to swim but no longer have a pool &  my dog doesnt like me to leave him on the shore while I swim.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-29/how-to-survive-a-heatwave-tips-on-how-to-stay-cool/11907310