Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2020 Morning FBG readings

Kit

Where the heck did that come from!? 

New eye doctor yesterday, old one retired. Also some new staff members. They listened to me this time and went light on the drops. My vision is still a little extra blurry and light is still bothering them more than usual, but I don't feel lime I'm being stabbed in the eyeballs with ice picks. I would call this a massive improvement. 

What I want to know is why can't I find gps like I find eye doctors. She comes in "oh yes, you are well dilated (meaning more drops were not necessary). She looks at my chart and says I don't expect to see anything given my a1c history. Calls me barely diabetic (still on metformin). Tell her I was diagnosed at 10.4.  She's shocked and praises my hard work. 

By the end she says "according to your eyes, you are not diabetic" and jokes that she should use me as a spokes person. I tell her a little of what I do. She agrees. She says "now you are still diabetic if you go back to your old way of eating". I respond of course and she says "so many don't understand that". 

Given the environment at work, I've been having a lot of issues with dry eyes (we all have). We talk a little about eye drops (use ones with oil in them, tears ones do nothing but dry you out more. 

And then she says eat oil! Salmon, avocado, flax, eggs, and similar. 

Why can't I find a GP like my eye doctor?  I've had great eye doctors. 

Kit
14 hours ago, adiantum said:

7.4 at 4am then after going back to bed  until 9am it was 6 .

Crikey Kit......... why the pain & lengthy blindness , do they poke you with a stick ?

Ive never experienced pain & just have to wear sun glasses for an hour afterwards. 

I guess theres other tests then those I get.

It's the drops they use to dilate my eyes. I react to them very strongly. Using fewer drops seems to have significantly improved things,though 18 hours later my near vision is still a little blurry. And it seems to be another overcast day so that should help as well. 

meyery2k

86 today.

@Kit - Funny you mention that.  My eye doctor is the same.  Tells me to keep up the work and don't go back.  My eyes are great and we want to keep them that way.  I remember he had a new nurse and she asked my last A1c.  When I answered, she was skeptical that I even had diabetes.  I explained that I started at 8.5  She said I should talk to the other patients lol...

Last Saturday, the Grand Princess (if I remember the name correctly) was in port.  I remember having the sarcastic thought of hoping it wasn't a plague ship.  Yesterday, we found out there are likely some cases here in Hawaii from the ship which is now quarantined off California while they test everyone.  I suspect the panic buying will start in earnest.

I have medicine, peanut butter, cheese, Atkins shakes, cream, butter, and lots of other things in ample supply.  Even toilet paper lol...

Hammer

A 77 (4.28) today.  The last time I went to get my eyes checked so that I could get a pair of glasses (my existing glasses frame broke), I didn't want to get my eyes checked, but the opticians have a racket going where you HAVE to get your eyes examined if your eyeglass prescription is more that two years old.  They have you fill out a form that asks all kinds of health questions, which I felt were none of their business, so I lied about everything....I mean, I'm getting a pair of glasses, not a physical, so just place me behind that machine where you look through and they turn the dial to place different lenses in front of your eyes while you read off of a chart.  That's all I needed, but no, they want your whole life history, so I made up one.  When they asked if I wanted drops put in my eyes, I said no, and told them that I didn't even want my eyes examined, but I couldn't get a pair of glasses if I didn't have the examination, so I wanted them to do as little as possible to allow me to get my glasses.  Once I got the prescription, I went online to Zenni, and bought 6 pairs of glasses, that way, I should never have to get another eye examination again.

Edited by Hammer

adiantum

image.png.10c737edf1fc3b603ff11bb6e7e562d7.png=

Happy IWD

7.2..I caused that.

Panic buying here started with hand sanitiser,then  canned foods eg baked beans & then toilet paper. Its possible that they all go well  together.

The most recent empty shelves is where rice used to be.

I bought long life cream for the first time, so i'll still be able to have Mushroom Stroganoff

Ive ordered 5 bottles Zinc +C but I do that every year when we go into Autumn. 5 is to see me through till Spring with one lot of postage.

Ive not been in public lately apart from the dogs park so Ive not seen any wearing face masks but according to the media theyre impossible to buy now.

How easy it is for a virus to spread...

An Australian GP was unwell with a runny nose  when he flew from Denver to San Francisco Feb 27th  then arrived in Melbourne 29th .
He returned to work March 2 to 7  where he saw 70 patients plus 2 residents in a nursing home. 
His coronavirus Dx was confirmed & he is in isolation at home.
There are now a lot of people in isolation with many more being notified of their contact.

Diana_CT

It is a bad year for maple syrup production! 

What the farmers need is nights in the 20s (-7C) and days in the 40s (4C). We haven't had nights cold enough and the days are too warm. 

As a result the sap is too thin and lower quantities. Normally it takes 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of AAA syrup but this year it is more than 50 to 1 ratio.

Maple syrup is like poison for us but it is interesting to watch them make. 

When I was little you used to see buckets hanging off the maple trees and the farmer had to collect the sap from over a hundred trees over many acres and it was very labor intensive but now they run plastic tubing between the trees into a 100 gallon tank.  But now they have to worry about sap rustlers that come in the middle of the night and pump the tank dry. 

adiantum

I dont think I deserved this 8.

Last nights dinner was a bowl of broccoli with butter, then 4 boiled eggs.

Enjoyed watching the maple syrup harvest. Thanks Diana.

We've never seen panic buying like were experiencing now. Theyve put a limit of toilet paper to  1 pkt per customer .

The home delivery of online shopping has increased immensely & the store is on overload.

I put an order through last night  but cant get a delivery for 3 days instead of next day.

Diana_CT

Today for the first time since fall it is supposed to be above 70 (21C). It was the first time sleeping with a window open... spring is coming to the winter that never was. The frost never settled in to ground, the lakes never froze over, and we only had 2 snow storms with a total of about a couple of inches. 

We had more snow in December than we had the other winter months. 

Kit

93 here

Deaths in state are up to 19 (as of yesterday) with 136 confirmed cases and now 6 or 7 counties are involved.

Emerald City Comic Con has been delayed until later in the summer.

Some schools have closed.

Universities are stopping in person classes and holding lectures, etc online.

A call has been made for employers to allow employees to work from home as much as possible.  Still voluntary at the moment.

Edited by Kit

adiantum

another 8 for me. ive chewed on many zinc+C tabs the last few days to  reduce the effects of a slight cold.

A friend called in almost 2 weeks ago with some bug that had her coughing & sniffling.

why do people visit when they have something contagious. She know I have D .

The gov is looking into fining people that are Dx with coronaviris yet ignore quarantine orders by going shopping etc.

I can understand one victim wanting to stock up on supplies before he went home, but it does put the community at risk.

FunDad62

On 3/6/2020 at 12:10 PM, meyery2k said:

With all that is going on with COVID-19 and other troubles...

REM is from Athens, GA (home of UGA).  I went to a college a few hours drive from there and they came and did a show once that I went to when they were fairly new in the late 80's.  I think tickets were $3 and there were maybe 500 people there.  Lol.  It was fun though.

janice21475
1 hour ago, Diana_CT said:

We broke 70 yesterday for the first time since early November.

Diana, Was that a BG reading or Temperature? :)