Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2020 Morning FBG readings

adiantum

Ive been feeling smug because I shop online &  dont have to get involved with the public brawls over toilet paper... i can just have it delivered to my door when I need it. Well thats what Ive been thinking but now the stores have changed the rules of the game.

Theyve stopped online shopping because the demand increased beyond their capabilities.

Theyve identified the first hour of trading to the aged & disabled, so maybe I can sneak in with them. 

@FunDad62, are you legally covered when working from home?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-16/coronavirus-working-from-home-legal-liability-employment-law/12056942 

Ahnanimus

102 today.  I'm almost out of strips and not sure I  want to venture out to get some. Of course I can get them from the pharmacy, but the Diabetes Association sells them at half the cost. 

adiantum

I stocked up on strips early Summer & am glad I did now.

I pay 60c  instead of $34 but have to get a doctors referral every 6 months for them.

I still have enough to last about 4 months, so I wont be visiting any doctor soon.

Budgeting is the new game to play.

Ive not been so wasteful with toilet paper & instead of boiling 3 eggs for breakfast I cut it back to 2.

I dont want to shop in store. 

FunDad62

Woke up at 1:30 am and felt low.  Tested at 45.  Drank a small soda and ate a chocolate cake thingy.  By the time I got back to my bed I was sweaty, shaky and just collapsed on to it.  No clue why it happened.  I stopped at Walmart yesterday after work, mostly out of curiosity.  All of the sandwich meat was gone.  All chicken, pork....gone.  Of course no TP or hand sanitizer.  Oddly the juice isle was pretty empty too.  The funny thing to me is there were plenty of fruits and vegetables.  People buy the unhealthy stuff first.

@adiantum - Interesting article.  Thanks.  We do have a WFH policy but it's being done pretty informally here.  My home is safe and I have no concerns about that.  And my company would stand behind me if anything happened.  There's only been 5 cases here in the city where I work and only 1 in the county I live in.  And that one person wasn't even in my county when they tested positive.  That's out of 142 for the entire state, the bulk of which are 500 miles from here in the Miami area.

IrinaHarr

133 today, first time ever I have not lost any weight after 36 hr fasting. Must be staying at home sitting on my tushy all day instead of walking around the store. I used to take a break and go walk around the store couple times in inclement weather. Cannot do it anymore - not too often anyway. Have to go get couple things today, Its second business day about 9:15am store should not be crowded; will report if shelves stocked ot not. Last week I have not noticed much difference. 

Kit

Our California office is affected by the shut downs.  We're wondering if the same will be happening here.

Only 5 of us here yesterday and so far I'm the only one here today.

meyery2k

96 today.  WE are now seeing the first of what they call the community spread cases in Honolulu.  Still working.  Have a couple field calls in Kona.  

Diana_CT

I have been drinking juices high in Vitamin C. 

All places of public gatherings of 20 or more have been closed. Nursing homes and Long Term Care facilities are closed to visitors, a friend's sister is in hospice and she has to stay outside to talk to her sister. She doesn't see why, her sister only has days to live, her organs are failing and she is not allowed to visit her. 

Ahnanimus

92 today.  We now have 5 confirmed cases. I'm a bit worried about my daughter's situation as she's on dialysis but has still gone to work since Monday. 

Hopefully, she should have things in order to work from home by Thursday. 

adiantum

The stores shelves are bare here. Long keeping vegetables are in demand ,like potatoes,onions etc.

Frozen fruit & vegetables are all sold. The meat units  are empty. 
it's so bad here that theres not even a can of Spam on the shelves. I had no idea we had so many Hawaiians living here :rofl: 

A woman has been convicted of theft after stealing quantities of test kits,masks & sanitisers. She works for the uni but was a guest lecturer in a hospital.

Before sentencing the judge gave her 4 days to supply documents confirming her mother is critically ill overseas.

TX_Clint

Forgot to post this morning. 93 today and the news from the island

Galveston Mayor Jim Yarbrough has ordered all island amusement parks, museums and bars closed and is limiting all restaurants to take-out or delivery only until further notice.

Hammer

A 99 (5.5) today.  Now I'm getting angry with this coronavirus panic that is happening everywhere.  Today, in my state, the government has closed all state run facilities until further notice, and in my state, that means all of the liquor stores, since they are state owned.  Geez, now I'm going to have to drive to a neighboring state to get my whiskey.☹️

adiantum

I've been walking around  the last few days with a huge smile on my face because the postie delivered a bottle of good whiskey...

a gift from my favourite friends !!

Not only are they generous & ultra kind, but they're  the smartest people I know. 

Living overseas didnt stop them, they ordered it online.

Tra la la la la... they sure know how to make a girl happy.

6 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Geez, now I'm going to have to drive to a neighboring state to get my whiskey.☹️

IrinaHarr

146 today, ate late on Tuesday night. I went to the store yesterday in SW Omaha and in Target it was a bit depressing - milk, eggs, pasta, paper products isles were almost empty but the were restocking at the time so I got almost everything I needed. Cheap store brands were gone but more expensive items were still there like free range organic eggs, or Ecco pasta. Then I went to Walmart and it was really well stocked after the closed night (24 hr stores now close at 11 and open at 7am) and that included produce. I got head of cabbage, carrots, spud and corned beef brisket for my instant pot - me and hubby had our St. Patrick's Day beef and cabbage dinner. Also got some exrtas for pantry, stopped by at SAMs and got large bags of frozen berries, frozen vegetables, beef hot dog, breakfast sausage and canned goods. I expect most of canned goods will end up at church food drive later, which would be a good thing; will mean this worrisome time is over.

As for liquor - if you are going to buy some, make it hard liquor like whiskey or rum or vodka. Should you need something you can always barter for your bottle of liquid gold. I lived through shortage of everything for like 3 years in the former USSR when stores were empty and we had rations cards for butter, eggs, pasta, meat. If you have something other people want you can barter for what you want. Like a bag of spuds for couple rolls of toilet paper :)

Kit

There were two of us in the office yesterday.  I suspect it will be the same today.  Funnily enough, the two of us here yesterday are the two introvert shut ins of the office. 

meyery2k
18 hours ago, adiantum said:

I had no idea we had so many Hawaiians living here :rofl: 

That's Aloha, lol...

94 today.

ran23

A lot of Hawaiians are moving to our local retirement center, prices are cheaper here in PNW.  

adiantum

Bartering is a great system but theres nothing I need  worth my  gifted whiskey.:D

Ran ,I can understand anyone moving to your retirement centre  knowing they serve great food on special days but your winters are brutal.

Stores here closed early to allow packers to stock the shelves. All thats been left is almond milk  :rofl:

That new stock  will have the crowd queuing to shop this morning. These queues are so long that the extend past the mall & into the carpark.

Costco called the police yesterday to do crowd control.

Theres no way I'll get involved with that so if I get desperate, I'll drive to the country for eggs . It will be a nice day out of the house.

Kit

This just boggles my mind.  There are no shortages other than what is caused by people hoarding.

I get frustrated watching people do incredibly stupid things.

adiantum

I can understand why some families are hoarding but I still cuss them.

what else can a mum,dad with 4 kids do?

Kids have to stay home from school..they eat like termites.

if a parent has corona & has to be quarantined , they must stock up.

Stupid cant be fixed!!

a few panic buyers have realised theres no money left to pay bills

or

they realise they will never use the huge amount of food theyve hoarded

so.. they took it back to the stores hoping for a refund.

All stores have stopped refunding them & suggest they give it to a charity or their neighbours.