Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2020 Morning FBG readings

adiantum

A Shih tzu I once had had to stay in hospital overnight, so I came home , took my pillow case off its pillow & returned to the vets with it for them to give to her. The vet commented on how she had snuggled into it.  Ive had some wonderful dogs.

Hammer

A 103 (5.7) today.

Fundad, that's correct.  The owner's manual for your car will tell you when to change the oil, but the numbers that they give are very conservative.  When they first developed synthetic oil, they tested it against regular motor oil.  They had two identical car engines mounted in a lab, and they ran these engines non-stop for 75,000 miles in the lab.  When they tore down the engines to inspect them, they found that, normally, there are the manufacturer's ID makers in the engine that typically wears off in the first few thousand miles.  Those ID markers were worn off in the engine that used the regular motor oil, but they were still there in the engine that used the synthetic oil.  That was an unheard of thing, but it showed the researchers just how good the synthetic oil was.

If you only drive your car for 1,000 miles a year, then check your oil at the end of that year.  If it uses synthetic oil, and it looks milky white, that means that it has water in it, so it needs to be changed.  If it doesn't look milky white, then there is no need to change it.  Of course, if you want to change it anyway to give you peace of mind, then go ahead and change it.

Edited by Hammer

Diana_CT

I was thinking where did this reading come from, I didn't have anything high carbs... but then I remembered the chocolate milk shake. 

We (I have company for the weekend at the cottage) went into to P'town (Provincetown) and we walked around the town. Everyone was compliant with the requirement of wearing masks, it was from what I saw was 100%. The restaurants were open with outside dining, and most of them have patios overlooking the harbor.

Thursday we ate at a restaurant on the pier in Wellfleet just down from the road from the cottage, I like their New England Clam Chowder because they don't use any flour or corn starch to thicken it,  a lot less carbs.

On the agenda for today... roasting on the beach.

FunDad62

Happy country-in-turmoil Independence Day to everyone in the USA.  To everyone else, happy Saturday! 😀

@Hammer - The owners manuals these days will not give an oil change schedule.  They tell you the dash info screen will let you know when to change it.  Most go by a percentage, starting at 100 and decreasing as you drive.  It was tough for me to "wait" until my car told me because I grew up old school changing the oil myself every 3,000 miles.  I love the synthetics now.

Hammer

A 107 (5.9) today. (too many cashews again.)

Fundad, yes, I forgot that today's vehicles have that "Service" light on the dashboard to tell you when to change your oil.  What I don't like about that,  is that when you take the vehicle in to get the oil changed before the "service" light comes on, they won't reset the service light, so it will come on sometime later on, even though you've had the oil changed.  On my Durango, if the service light comes on, I just need to push the "Start" button without putting my foot on the brake, and that will cause the "Accessory" light to come on.  Once that light comes on, I just need to full depress the gas pedal slowly, three times in less than 10 seconds, then turn the ignition switch to off by again, pressing the "Start" button without putting your foot on the brake, and that will reset the light. (and the dealer wants to charge us how much to do that?)

Edited by Hammer

FunDad62

Got my blood work results yesterday.  Every single thing was withing range.  I don't remember that ever happening.  The only thing I've changed in the last month is eating 85% whole food, plant based.  Meat, poultry, fish, cheese, etc maybe two meals a week.  It will be interesting to see how the endo interprets these results on Tuesday.

adiantum

Whats your opinion... I bought referees whistles to give to an elderly  eccentric neighbour to use to get my attention if she is in an emergency..fire,ambulance or police. She is a recluse , has no phone & a soft voice. Could it become a legal issue if I dont hear that whistle & dont respond?

It'd be awful if she died with a whistle in her mouth while I'm sound asleep .

Thanks Diana, That was a lovely e-walk along that track. Theres a great photo gallery within that link.

I even enjoyed seeing views of the Atlantic ocean instead of regular watching the Pacific ocean.

Edited by adiantum

Hammer

A 90 (5.0) today.

Lee, maybe get your neighbor one of these.  I have one, and I have it set to the Westminster Chimes (the fourth chime in the video) which is very loud.  The push button transmits up to 450 feet (137 meters). If you gave your neighbor the doorbell push button, she could tie some string to it so that she can wear it around her neck so she'd have easy access to it.  I have two push buttons, one on the front door, and one on the side/back door.  When the front doorbell button is pushed, the unit flashes the red halo while it chimes the Westminster Chime.  When the side/back door push button is pressed, the unit flashes blue and the Westminster Chime plays.  I could change the unit to play a different chime for the back door, but I like the Westminster chime the most, so I have the unit set up to play the Westminster chime for both doors.

Edited by Hammer

adiantum

Thanks Hammer but she'd not cope with it. I'd buy her a cheap cell phone but she'd not cope with that either.

She has poor mental health.

I have a similar set up as yours at my front gate which she occasionally rings if she wants to use my phone.

Shes not some sweet lil old lady doing it hard.. she's a millionaire living in squallor with restricted services because she wont part with money. She's always been a nasty piece but  when you realse it's her mental health I feel as if I cant ignore her .

Edited by adiantum

Diana_CT

I don't understand why my FBG is creeping up. What I could normally eat before I had readings in the 120s now the same meals gives me readings in the 140s. Is it because of the heat and humidity? Or because my weight is climbing up? I have been doing more walking here on the Cape than at home.

Yesterday I went to Newcomb Hollow beach with some friends visiting, it was supposed to be partly cloudy but the overcast never cleared out. The temp was 74 but with the wind off the ocean and the overcast sky it was cool (people were wearing jackets and sweatshirts) so we only stayed for about an hour. The next land is Spain some 3000 miles away, people think that England is the same latitude as the Cape but it is really Spain, England is across from Newfoundland and Labrador.

IMG_20200705_135722.jpg

Yesterday I posted a photo of the Salt Pond at the Cape Cod National Seashore, well here is another view and I think that it came out better than yesterday's photo.

DSC_4739_40_41_Painterly-3-denoise.JPG

IrinaHarr

131 today, another 90F day. Walked in the park at the sunrise while its cool, at 6am in the morning the place was full of runners and bikers and dog walkers that had the same idea :)

adiantum

Two more great pics Diana. I spent ages yesterday looking at that cottage with the grey roof..shingles?

I've only seen that once before  but the shingles have since been replaced with metal because of lead contamination from a nearby industry.

Even as a small child I admired that roof so it was sad to see it replaced.