Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2020 Morning FBG readings

Diana_CT

148 again. 

I forgot to take my Januvia and my evening meds last night 

@adiantum Almost all of the shingles here are asphalt. I see metal roofs around here but they are probably less than 10 percent of the roofs. My house and cottage both have asphalt shingles, I replaced the shingles on my house about 5 years ago and the cottage needs a new one within 5 years.

Edited by Diana_CT

IrinaHarr
On 7/6/2020 at 5:41 AM, Diana_CT said:

I don't understand why my FBG is creeping up. What I could normally eat before I had readings in the 120s now the same meals gives me readings in the 140s. Is it because of the heat and humidity? Or because my weight is climbing up? I have been doing more walking here on the Cape than at home.

Water, more hydration needed is my guess, especially with walking in Summer. Once you get a little dehydrated, BG level creeps up which triggers more dehydration, etc. it takes effort to break this circle, extra glass of iced water and staying in AC room. I also noticed if I stop eating at 6pm my morning BG is better 'cuz it is 12 hrs between evening meal and checking BG in the morning. 

FunDad62

Just got home from the endocrinologist.  I saw the PA and she said my blood work was "amazing" and the doctor was going to be really happy.  My A1c is down from 7.2 to 6.6.  She said I get an A++ on this appointment.  I wore the Libre patch for two weeks and my average was 122 during those two weeks.

Woo hoo!  I'm a happy boy!

adiantum

Happiness is sleeping 8 hours unbroken.

Most roofs here are tiled although mine & most old houses have corrugated metal.

Todays googling will be asphalt shingles. I do like that subtle look.

YAY @FunDad62 !!!

Edited by adiantum

Hammer

Another 82 (4.56) today.

I also have asphalt shingles.  I had them replaced about 25 years ago, so they are getting close to their 30 year lifespan. (I had them install 30 year shingles.)  I've read that a metal roof lasts a lot longer than asphalt shingles, but I can't imagine the noise you'd get when it rains or hails.  I also wonder how hot your house gets in the summer when you have a metal roof.  The asphalt shingles I had them install are white, like in the picture below, to hold off the heat in the summer.

silver-lining-gaf-roof-shingles-202736-64_1000.jpg

Edited by Hammer

adiantum

Ive never seen shingles like those Hammer.

Roofs here had a high pitch with enough roof in the centre for a tall person to walk through without stooping. 

Then people added cellulose bats between the rafters  to prevent heat on the ceiling. Whirlybirds are on many roofs to take the trapped heat out.

The hot air rising causes the vents to spin.

The sound of rain on a metal roof is wonderful. One feels cozy  indoors, yet excited to have rain at last.

Ive noticed many replace their tiled roof with metal but also recall neighbour disputes when a white metal roof  puts out a lot of glare for those on higher ground.

• CSR 300mm Bradford WindMaster Natural Roof Vent Metal Rotary ...

colorbond-roof-perth_orig.jpg

FunDad62

Be aware...if you get a metal roof, they're notorious for blocking cellular signals.  Every time I go in to Lowe's I lose signal.  I have friends with a metal roof and they have a hard time with signal and there's a tower less than a mile from them.

Hammer

Lee, that is a beautiful house, I'm sorry that you weren't able to get it.  That whirlybird, as you call them, we also have over here, but most houses, mine included, have electric attic fans that turn on at a temperature and humidity that you set, to remove excess heat and humidity from the attic.  Another concern that I'd have with a metal roof....static electric shock.  There is a high voltage transmission tower behind my house (one leg of it sits in my neighbor's back yard), and it gives off static electricity.  My previous neighbor had aluminum siding on his house, and he had to install ground rods at each outside corner of his house, and run a wire from the siding to each ground rod to drain off the static electricity.  I'd need to do the same with a metal roof.  Of course, if I did that, considering that I live on a hill, lightning would be attracted to the grounded metal roof.😊

adiantum

I've been thinking about that insulation against the roof in that pic..it looks wrong to me.

It would hold condensation within the layers & the roof would soon rust. The insulin I have is packed between the rafters.

Elec attic fans are available here too but I dont know anyone with one. I told the salesman I didnt want one & that I dont like to depend on electricity. 

The main reason is that it is sourced from coal fired generations & I'd rather our coal stay in the ground & enjoy clean air.

Another reason is in the event of a power failure, life can be uncomfortable without fans or air cons when its 110F.

This house has a ground rod as did the house I grew up in. I assumed all houses had one.

I prefer really old houses & that house is beautiful & its just 10mins from the ocean. I imagined sitting on those verandas & the fantasy ended with a thud... theres no view,  but to look into a neighbours house or a village post office across the road. It sure needed trees to break the view.

Old houses are built with the environment in mind. Ceilings are 9 or 11 ft high with air vents up the top for the heat to escape.

I have a ( rusty ) metal roof here & have no problem with cell phone coverage.

Theres a public/pay phone right out on the footpath.. Ive not seen one in years.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-coopernook-120852357

The old general store was established around 1880-90's sometime shortly after the primary school and post office. The town set off the back of timber milling and shipping was one of opportunity and travellers. It has been said that this home was known as "The Coach House" as travellers would stop in with their horse and carriage during this time.

image2.jpg

Edited by adiantum

Diana_CT

@adiantum I had my house re-shingled about five years ago and I used architectural shingles. They also installed a ridge roof vent, I already had soffit vents and 24 inches of insulation was installed on top of the 2nd floor ceiling joists (the floor of the attic) when I built the house in 1991.

I'm off to the Cape just waiting for the last load of wash to come out of the dryer.

adiantum

Nice shingles & I like that system Diana.  Wishing you a great time in The Cape.

Its an early park visit for us. Ive booked the car in for work & roadworthy inspection & dont know how to explain that to the dog.

The car might have to stay overnight as theyre busy & squeasing me in as last minute.

Hammer

A 90 (5.0) today.  I went in for my usual 4 month blood work on Tuesday, and I received the results on Wednesday.  My A1c went up from 5.8 to 6.1, which I figured would happen, since my wake up readings have been in the 80's, 90's and low 100's, as opposed to the 60's and 70's. (I'll need to increase my nightly Lantus dose to get back down to those lower numbers.)  I had planned on starting the trimming of the bushes in front of my house today, but when I walked down to my mailbox to check for mail, it was so hot and humid, that I decided to hold off till it gets cooler.  It was so hot and humid that I could hardly breathe, and that was just walking down to my mailbox, so instead, I opted to pedal my exercise bike that's in my basement family room.