Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2020 Morning FBG readings

Diana_CT

Fireflies
I was sitting out on the deck at dusk (Hoping that the citronella oil lamps would confuse the mosquitoes) when in the corner of my vision there was a flash.
Hun? What was that? Was I seeing things?
Flash…
Flash, flash…
Ah… fireflies!
Within twenty minutes the wetlands was a miniature light show.

Oh… and the citronella oil lamps didn’t confuse the mosquitoes.

FunDad62

Didn't take any meds last night.  Doing a little experiment to see how it affects my sugar, pulse and bp not taking them for 24 hours.  I feel like I don't know what normal feels like anymore having taken all these meds for so many years.  Side effects galore.

IrinaHarr

132 today, looking forward to cool down tonight. And free water for the garden - from above :)

IrinaHarr
2 hours ago, FunDad62 said:

Didn't take any meds last night.  Doing a little experiment to see how it affects my sugar, pulse and bp not taking them for 24 hours.  I feel like I don't know what normal feels like anymore having taken all these meds for so many years.  Side effects galore.

FunDad, it will take a week or two to get all meds from your system, I think they are designed to linger.

Hammer

I increased my nightly Lantus dose last night, and today I was at 79 (4.39).  Let's see how long I stay at that level.

Diana, I think that the only thing that works at keeping mosquitoes away are those electric bug zappers.  You hang one up in the air at each corner of your deck, and they usually work pretty well.  If your deck is a large one, hang another zapper between each of the corner zappers, to give you three zappers per side of the deck.  The zappers are also good for zapping flies, fleas, moths, and pretty much any insect that flies.

Diana_CT
2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Diana, I think that the only thing that works at keeping mosquitoes away are those electric bug zappers.  You hang one up in the air at each corner of your deck, and they usually work pretty well.  If your deck is a large one, hang another zapper between each of the corner zappers, to give you three zappers per side of the deck.  The zappers are also good for zapping flies, fleas, moths, and pretty much any insect that flies.

We had one of those Mosquito Magnet at our cottage in New Hampshire and it worked pretty good but you needed to fill the propane tank once a week. Those UV bug zappers I found only attracted moths.

Hammer
16 minutes ago, Diana_CT said:

We had one of those Mosquito Magnet at our cottage in New Hampshire and it worked pretty good but you needed to fill the propane tank once a week. Those UV bug zappers I found only attracted moths.

I have one of those bug zappers, but I have never used it outside.  What made me think of the electric bug zappers when I read your post, was that, years ago when I was working in New Jersey, I would be driving to my room and I would pass by a house that had an outdoor swimming pool, and two bug zappers mounted outside above the pool's walk around deck.  It was around 9 pm when I would pass by this house, and the bug zappers looked like fireworks going off.  It was a non-stop sparking spectacle.  I can't imagine what that guy's electric bill was, but those zappers were zapping hundreds of mosquitoes per hour.  The thing is, the zappers need to be placed above the area that you're sitting in, and they need to surround the area, so as to attract mosquitoes from every direction.  Also, a lot of the zappers come with a chemical scent that you apply to post that is mounted inside the electric grid, and that scent attracts mosquitoes.

adiantum

7.5 following a lazy Winters day by the heater, it was too wet to even go to the park.

Those elec zappers are  cruel  as they kill innocent insects as well as mozzies. If you enjoy birdlife then dont kill their food supply.

I take a power board outside on summer nights & plug in a pedestal fan, plus a turbo fan on the ground level to keep mosquitoes from biting ankles.

FunDad62

I agree with Lee.  Down here in the mosquito and gnat capital of the world, the best defense is some bug spray and a fan.  I live near the Okefenokee swamp and I think that's heaven for them.  Or you can just have me come over.  If there's a mosquito within a mile, it'll find me.  Even my friends talk about how I attract them more than others.

IrinaHarr

144 today, another late night and late dinner. I walked on grass patch while walking dog in the park, a day later - chigger bites on my leg, thigh, back etc. For those who might not know, its a no-see arachnid family bug (so small one cannot see them with naked eye). Each red spot itches horribly, have to use poison ivy spray to keep myself from scratching in public places. Although all they care about right now is Covid symptoms, I sneezed once in the supermarket and all people in the vicinity changed their shopping carts course to give me 30 feet distance :) I did wear mask though.

janice21475
20 hours ago, Hammer said:

good for zapping flies,'' fleas'', moths, and pretty much any insect that flies. 

Frightful to consider fleas at 'bug zapper' height.

adiantum

I like it when you folk mention regions for me to explore. Thanks  FunDad , theres many links to Okefenokee swamp .

What an amazing environmental system!

Each of you have such interesting experiences, like seeing chiggers, fireflies, wild orchids & fleas that can jump over buildings in a single leap.

Since our drought & fires theres a serious lack of insects which is why Ive been feeding the birds.

Almost feeling left out of it ,  but a sailor I was chatting with this week said he saw a seal around the boats moored off the dogs park. 

I'll have to watch where I walk yet watching the water at the same time.

I've not seen a seal there, but dolphins are a visual  treat as was  a 4ft King fish leaping out of the water.

adiantum

The KIng fish wouldve only been 3ft but it felt like my fishermans duty to exagerate.

I'd forgotten about the spittle bugs I see in the park.. interesting critter that grossed me out when I was a child, but now I admire their capacity to survive. 

The nymph creates spittle for its protection.

Spittlebug_Foam-584b45e73df78c491e74a8a7.jpg

FunDad62

157 (stupid honey bun; a week moment)

@adiantum - Okefenokee is an Indian word that means "trembling Earth" as pretty much any solid surface you stand on is floating in the swamp.  I camped out there a few times when I was in the Boy Scouts as a kid.

IrinaHarr

132 today, delightful walk in the park 63F foggy. Dog enjoyed it more than me, he was getting overheated at 75F last week due to thick fur coat. We have 68F in the house (Summer or Winter), seems like temp I am most comfortable with. At 72F in Summer humidity increases and I do not like it...

meyery2k

97 today.

@adiantum - A species of spittlebug has been recently introduced to Hawaii and there is some concern as to how it might affect the local environment.

https://www.biisc.org/wp-content/uploads/Spittle-Bug-Alert-March-2017-ver-5.-Final-compressed.pdf

adiantum

I've never seen damage from the spittle bug & have only seen them in the Casuarina's. Perhaps the birds keep them under control.

Strong winds could easily assist their migration to Hawaii.

Two beautiful horses walked through the dogs park yesterday. My boy had never seen a horse before & their size mustve overwhelmed him.

He was terrified as he ran back to me.

FunDad, I noticed the spongy ground in one of the videos. I also saw aligators, yet your scouts group camped there. Hmmmm : ))

Edited by adiantum