Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2020 Morning FBG readings

adiantum

My condolances FunDad.

I was told that a woman that lived 3 mins away was a fatal  victim of the covid from the Ruby Princess.

Almost 700 covid cases has been linked to that ship & a class action is being persued . 

I didnt know pickles were actually good for the gut... & I do love olives.

Hammer

A 100 (5.56) today.  I don't think that these higher numbers that I get from time to time are actually my wake up readings.  When I get up 3 or 4 times a night to go to the bathroom, then lay in bed for several hours trying to fall back asleep, only to decide to get up and stay up, then go and take a reading, that the reading that I get is a wake up reading.  It's more of a "been awake for hours" reading.

Pickles, I like pickles, but they contain too much sodium, so I had to stop eating them.  I'd eat them for a quick snack, from time to time, but the sodium forced me to stop eating them.

Diana_CT

I had my 6 month endo appointment yesterday.

My lab results were stable, they hadn't changed since the winter, my A1C was 7.1 slightly down from 7.2. My kidney function was the same... everything was just about the same as 6 months ago.

We both agreed that the Januvia is not doing anything and since I just got a 3 month refill I will continue take it until I run out and then at my 6 month appointment we will see how my numbers are. She thinks that my kidney function is strong enough to try metformin.

She left me with these words... exercise and drink more water.

adiantum

In a past life I used to pickle many vegetables & even eggs yet never added salt.

Vinegar, olive oil,pepper corns mustard seeds & garlic cloves to prevent spoilage but no salt.

rustie237

9.5 mmo/L today - I can't seem to get my fasting blood sugars down.  Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm Type 2 on Metformin, Atorvastatin and Sitagliptin.  I'm low carbing with 3 meals per day and no snacking.  Very disappointed.  Help!

adiantum

Hi rusty, you have my empathy with the frustration of high  fasting b glucose.

Its not a one size fits all situation... so dont beat yourself up.

I also get high readings  at times especially after a late night snack yet others have better results if they snack.

I even suspect dehydration causes my higher numbers if I refrain from drinking after dinner.

Try testing, then drink water & test again in an hour before food & see if that makes a difference.

My numbers can be  decent if I exercise the previous day.

I even suspect it is rocket science as I cant find the answer, but whats a girl to do but keep trying.

Welcome to the forum,

~Lee

meyery2k

@rustie237 - You could consider talking to your PCP and being tested to see if you are a Type 1.5.  There are blood tests that look for markers to help diagnose that.  In the early stages, it can look much like T2 and respond well to diet, exercise and medications until the pancreatic function has decreased to where insulin might be needed.

Hammer

A 78 (4.33) today.  Lee, your pickle recipe sounds good.  I wonder if there are any commercially made pickles that use a similar recipe?  I checked the nutritional qualities of pickles, and it states that pickles are high in sodium, but they contain probiotics that help with digestion.  They also contain antioxidants, and can help to lower blood sugar.  Since vinegar is one of the ingredients used to pickle them, they help with muscle cramps, although you can just drink apple cider vinegar to get the same results.

IrinaHarr

121 today, cooler weather. They say it will be 61F Monday morning for my walk :)

FunDad62

154  🙁

@adiantum - After the subject came up I googled it and it turns out "pickling" with vinegar actually kills off the good bacteria.  So only fermented things provide that benefit.  Like kimchi.  Which I also love.

adiantum

I didnt know that FunDad, but those days I only ate to please my palate & my brain.

Everynight was a party... antipasto ,fruit, cheese & wine. The best was brandied cherries & whisky.

Diabetes was a cruel joke to play on a girl that loved this way, while people that had to write a note to remind  them to eat get off scot- free. :rofl:

Diana_CT

122 @ 7 AM

I am up at the Cape and it is muggy! Everything is damp and sticky, when it was in the 90s (32C) it wasn't bad but now it is 72 (20C) and you feel like you just got out of a stream bath.

IrinaHarr

137 today, great cool morning for a walk in the park, dog enjoyed it a lot and I tried to walk faster for aerobic effect but of course he had to stop to sniff every bush and cock his leg :)

adiantum

6.6 ...must be the pumpkin that has me below 7.

Its low carb ,low cal , a diuretic & on special at $1kg & can store for months.... which is why Ive bought 20 the past 2 weeks.

Having them delivered from online shopping is also a benefit as those babies can be big & heavy.

6 more to arrive today :rofl:

ran23

I used to luv to eat pumpkin turnovers.  glad I do not have a bakery near my house anymore. 

FunDad62

Anyone ever drink hibiscus tea?  It's supposed to be good for blood pressure.  I bought some and have had it several times and I just can't get used to it.  Very strange flavor.  Really odd.  The best way I've come up with so far is to steep a few slices of ginger, then add the tea bag, let it cool and put it in the refrigerator overnight.  Drink it with some lemon juice the next day.

I've never even thought about making food from a pumpkin.  I don't think it's very common in the US.  What do you make with them?