Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2020 Morning FBG readings

Diana_CT

I can't wait until my company leaves and meals return to normal.

From last night.

Sunset from Herring Cove, CCNS with Race Point lighthouse. Red sky at night, sailor's delight. (Yes, that is a windmill to the left of the lighthouse.)

DSC_4900_1_2_3_4_Photographic-denoise-1.

adiantum

A big 8 for me..that had to be from being woken by dogs barking at the arrival of my online grocery order.

Then it was a rush to get the frozen & chilled  stuff packed..all before coffee.

Today is Fathers Day here,  so its filled with warm fuzzies as I reflect on what a wonderful dad I had.

Hugs to all the dads here.

Hammer
2 hours ago, adiantum said:

Today is Fathers Day here,  so its filled with warm fuzzies as I reflect on what a wonderful dad I had.

Hugs to all the dads here.

Lee, as a dad, I never thought that I was a good father because, when I was still married, I was working 7 days a week on third shift, so I didn't get to see my daughter that much.  When I got divorced, I would pick my daughter up on Sundays, even thought I only had gotten 3 hours of sleep, and we would always go to the movies...I'd let her pick out the movie....she was 9 years old.  I wanted to do other things with her, but when you are only getting three hours of sleep, you don't have a lot of energy, so you do what you can to spend time with your child.

What made me feel really good, was when I had taken my daughter to see yet, another movie, and during the movie, she would ask me, like she always did,  what was going on.  Being tired, I wanted to just say to her, "I don't know, just watch the movie!"  I never said that to her.  If I didn't know what was going on, I'd tell her that I wasn't sure yet, so let me see more of the movie, and once I understood what was going on, I'd explain it to her, which I did.  As we left the theater, my daughter said, "Dad, I like going to the movies with you, because you explain everything, so that I can understand what is happening."  It was at that moment that I was so happy that I had never lost my temper with her because I was tired.  From that day on, I never, ever lost my temper with her for anything, even though I was still working 7 days a week, and was only getting 3 hours of sleep when I picked her up on Sundays, then after dropping her off at her mother's house, I would go back to work, dead tired, but to me, it was well worth it...spending time with my daughter and seeing that she enjoyed the time that we spent together.

As a side note, before we went into the movie theater, we would go into a store in the same shopping center that the theater was located in, and buy all of the candies that she liked, since the movie theater didn't have all of the candies that she liked.  We would stuff them into our pockets, then go into the theater...my daughter liked doing that, and so did I...she really like Sweet Tarts and Cherry Licorice (cherry Twizzlers), which we got at the other stores....it was our secret thing.😊  I really miss those days....even though I was exhausted, I enjoyed spending those days with her.

adiantum

Loved the pockets filled with favotite lollies story . You were & are a great dad Hammer.

Parent these days have more time to enjoy with their kids & usually lots more money then was available when in my fathers day.

Just being beside my dad was the safest place in the world. After dinner was story time as we sat beside the fire in Winter.

The story was always my choice, which was mostly " the old woman and her pig".

Ive been watching an interesting series on tv that reflects life in a designated period of the 40's,50's  or 60's etc.

A family would dress appropriately to that period & the house was modified to match.

The most recent series was set in 1900 . No electric lighting in the house, no refrigeration, no sewer system....they were hard times.

back in time for dinner.jpg

adiantum
Lighthouse!! Diana you have nailed it .. you have put the final touch to the scariest childhood experience.

Refreshing memories of my dad yesterday brought an incidence to the fore. 
At about 13/14ish years, I used to climb out my bedroom window at night to meet up with others to go parking along a deserted tree lined  road.
Someones brother had a car & we all crammed in it...about 12 or more. It was uncomfortable but we were too scared to get out.

At each visit, high up in the trees at great speed, a ball of light would go through the tree tops a couple of times & then head towards the car.
It never touched us as the driver took off at great speed with his passengers screaming in absolute terror.
We discounted car lights,flashlights etc so it had to have been a UFI or a ghost. 
It took us days/weeks to calm down enough to return.

I missed it one night because dad was waiting  & made me climb back in .

Google & Dr Karl dispelled the UFI theory when describing  the Min Min Lights suggesting it was ...

Professor Pettigrew has proved a layer of cold air just above the ground between the distant light and the observer could trap light.

“This layer bends the light and keeps it close to the ground, so it can be seen over great distances,” he said.

“This layer of cold air can also concentrate the distant light and stop it from spreading – so it doesn’t get weakened by extreme distance.

It can be from 300Km / 186mi” away"

So, the repetition suggested a stable light source.. a lighthouse!! Thank you Diana.

7 for me  

min min.jpg

Hammer

An 81 (4.5) for me.  I always wanted to live in an isolated lighthouse.  One where it was unreachable by land, you had to get to it by boat.  I like the isolation of a place like that, where it's just you and no one else.  You have supplies shipped in every month, and of course, you have electricity, since the light needs to have power to operate, and maybe have some type of internet connection....maybe DSL since the lighthouse would need to have a landline in order to be able to order supplies.

11649102.jpg.588df363ba6b2002fdbdb15541a48c5c.jpg

adiantum

Hammer that light house is too isolated for me.. I need to see trees. 

Theres one South end of Tasmania that advertises for a keeper. Not sure if its for 6 or 12 months, & supplies come in by helicopter.

Ive been up this one at Nora Head many times as a child.

FunDad.. I'm really sorry.. thats got to hurt.

Grounds-1 (1).jpg

Diana_CT
5 hours ago, adiantum said:

Hammer that light house is too isolated for me.. I need to see trees. 

Theres one South end of Tasmania that advertises for a keeper. Not sure if its for 6 or 12 months, & supplies come in by helicopter.

Ive been up this one at Nora Head many times as a child.

Not all lighthouses are on island and some that are on island there are towns on the islands.

Lighthouse rentals

Edited by Diana_CT

adiantum
I think Hammer's dream was to live on an island lighthouse  where the only access was by boat.

The one pictured which  I used to climb is in a town of more then 1,000 people  & just 40mins from Sydney.
I'd certainly not cope with the steps these days, I had a hard time with the risers when just a little girl.

A former keeper on the Maatsuyker Island wrote his memoirs ..
The last Lighthouse Keeper

Some of Tasmanias Lighthouses...

1 hour ago, Diana_CT said:

Not all lighthouses are on island and some that are on island there are towns on the islands.

Lighthouse rentals

Theres some lovely lighthouses within that link Diana

Hammer

An 86 (4.78) today.  I had been looking at the most isolated light houses, and some of them are really isolated.  Most of these light houses are automated now, so a light house keeper isn't needed.  The first and third pictures makes you wonder how hard it was to build those two light houses...

image.jpg.44c48ae72e9ed7d4c2d05bbf60e1634b.jpg0c0de70daa6516498d_stgeorge2.jpg.cbfab461c8a203abf829d822dfd37dbf.jpg099e0410ecc6ef3f9c8f5d410d481b3d9284eab5.jpg.65f3b393a31a18b480d8ff1d909f7ae6.jpg

Ricros

Good Morning,

Well had a nice three day weekend for Labor Day.  No computers or phones it was nice.

113 this morning due to all the inactivity I think.  I had one day of indulging but did not go over 250 for that mistake.  I hope everyone has a god day today.

Diana_CT

@Hammer That lighthouse on top of that rock, I would like to stay there for a week or two.

@adiantum The Coast Guard here in the state sold many of the lighthouses and they opened as Bed & Breakfast inns

148 :(

Yesterday was a really bad day. I don't know if I mentioned that I was in a minor an accident a week ago Sunday.

118318388_10221403341986698_704061027928

[Copied from my Facebook post]

Yesterday the ride home was a highway to heck! [Hmm... It will not let me post h*ll, it changes it to heck. Somehow "Highway to heck" doesn't have the same impact as "Highway to h*ll"]
From the accident I taped up the damage but when I was on the highway there was a buzzing noise of something scraping the tire... SH*T!
I pulled over and put more duct tape on the damage.
Started to drive off and it started to buzz again.
I drove down the highway doing 40 mph with my 4-way flashers on.
Pull in to a Dollar Store and bought more duct tape and added more tape however, it started to buzz again. I used up all the tape and still the tire was rubbing. (Now I know why it is a dollar store the tape was only 3 yards long.)
Stopped a Staples and bought a 10 yard roll... and it still rubbed!
So I sat down to see what was rubbing, it was inside the wheel well, the plastic liner.
There was no way to tape it up, it had to come out!
Hmm, how do you get the liner out?
Cut it out.
There was a Lowe in the plaza, so over there I went.
Met a nice saleperson and told him my problem. He thought for a moment and said I think I got just the tool for you. He was just stocking the shelves with linoleum cutters. So out to the car and I spent an hour in the hot sun sitting crossed legged on the parking lot cutting away the plastic fender well.
The 4 hour trip turned into a 6 hour adventure... but I'm home in one piece. However I can't say the same thing for the car.

Edited by Diana_CT