Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Oski

Hi all

Oski

35 with type 2

Was depressed and thought it was the end for me when diagnosed.   Have meter, on metformin 2 a day 500 mg.  It's been rough on me with selecting types of food.  Really hard being Asian and rice is a main source of food for me.  I have not been eating rice since and let me tell you that's hard for an Asian person.   Lol.    Lower reading then before.  Exercise is mountain biking and walking on rainy days.  Now around 200 or below.   Was at 300 above.   Still learning all about this.

So glad I stumbled upon this forum!!   I've read some stories and ideas here and I believe it's amazing.  Too many false info for money making I was giving up hope until i found this forum.  Now doc wants to see me again and use insulin injection?????    I'm not sure which is better?  I know metformin will slowly hurt my kidneys.  If anyone went from pills to injection please share some experiences.   I will continue to read on here for tips and tricks.   Hope is to get off meds, I never wanted maintenance drugs.  Again this forum has given me more hope.  Thanks in advance for tips.  

Kit

Hi @Oski, welcome to the group.

Metformin hurting your kidneys is a misconception.  High blood glucose levels hurt your kidneys.  When your kidneys become damaged, they can no longer filter metformin from your system.  This build up can become dangerous as its greatly increases the chances of lactic acidosis.  Because of this, diabetic patients who have kidney damage are taken off metformin and this is why people think metformin causes kidney damage.

It sounds like you are trying out a low carb diet.  How long have you been doing this?  if its just been recently, I would actually request your doctor to give you a little more time before adding insulin to your regimen.  You've already had a significant drop, and its quite likely going low carb will allow you to drop even more.

Now if you have been doing low carb for a significant amount of time, additional medication may be necessary, at least for the short term.

I was diagnosed with an A1C of 10.4.  I don't remember what my BG numbers were.  I was put on 500mg of metformin.  Some weeks later when I saw my GP, she upped it to twice a day with the plan to raise me to the full dose (2000mg a day) and mentioned putting me on insulin.

About 2 months after diagnoses, I went true low carb.  By 6 months after diagnoses, I had an A1C of 5.2 and I was still on 500mg of metformin twice a day.  I've since dropped down to 500mg metformin once a day and still have an A1C in the low 5s.

Most doctors do not support true low carb diets.  I am always told to make sure I eat lots of whole grains and fruits (CARBS and SUGAR!).  With this advice, patients do get worse over time, have to take more and more medication, and will suffer from complications.  They believe it is inevitable.

To add to this, they recommend diabetics continue to run high BG levels.  Their recommendations still leave patients in levels which cause complications, such as kidney disease.

I believe they do this because hypos can be immediately dangers and lead to the most desired event to avoid, a lawsuit.  High BG levles however, can take decades to cause complications, and, as I mentioned above, its inevitable for diabetics to develop complications, so medical professionals can't be blamed.

This does not have to be true, and as I'm sure you can tell, I am a bit bitter on the subject.

I am not anti medication.  I believe it can be very helpful when its needed.  But I also believe that doctors are too quick to toss drugs at patients because they don't believe diet can actually make that much difference (because their recommendations suck and almost always lead patients to getting worse, not better).

The best way to protect your health is to aim for an A1C of under 6.0.  These general guidelines will usually result in this goal.

Fasting and before meals - under 100

One hour after a meal - under 140

Two hours after a meal - under 120.

As for diet, I am not Asian, but I enjoy a lot of Asian cuisines.  While not perfect replacements, I make generous use of cauliflower rice (fried rice style mostly), zucchini noodles, and shirataki noodles.  Miracle Noodle brand also offers rice made with the same ingredients as the shirataki noodles, though I have not tried it so can't comment on how well it works.

I really enjoy stir fries made with protein of choice, lots of low carb veggies, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, soy sauce, curry pastes, and similar (not always all at once).  I'll usually have them with a generous amount of zucchini noodles, which I toss into the pan near the end of cooking.

Glad you have found us.  Feel free to ask any questions you mean have.  if you haven't already, do searches for keto recipes.  There are a ton of resources out there and I'm sure you will find stuff you will love.  :)

TX_Clint

Thumbs up to Kit's stir fry veggies with either cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles. I also do a mean shrimp scampi or egg plant parmesan with miracle noodles. 

I also take 2000 mg of metformin and basal insulin every night. This combo works well for me but we are all a bit different.

adiantum
Please dont feel depressed over such a diagnosis, with you being so young & committed  to  research , you will ensure a great a great quality of life.

I am close to double your age but feel my life may have been smoother if I'd had an early diagnosis & recognised my inability to process carbs.

I was diagnosed 12 years ago with an A1c of 11.
My doctor suggested I try diet & exercise to control it for 3 months then she'd evaluate my need for meds.

3 months later it was 7 & 6.1 after another 3 months.
12 years later I am still med free although twice I tried tablets but the side effects were dangerous to me. I wheezed better then dart Vader on metformin & had serious dizzy episodes with another.
My A1c of 6.3 is higher then I'd like but I feel  its ok for my age.

You might find your body go into a false hypo with shakes & sweating which can be a concern, but  its just your body getting used to coming down from years of high blood glucose. Relax , keep your fluids up & you'll be fine.

I hope you feel welcome & take part in  discussions .

~Lee

meyery2k

@Oski - Welcome!  This is selfish but I am glad to see a fellow cyclist.  I am more of a gravel rider.  We must trade bike pics. 

I live in Hawaii and we love rice here.  I eventually got to where I don't miss it.  There are so many things that can be done with non-root vegetables like zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, and so on... 

This site gave me the advice to manage diabetes.  @Kit has been my guide and she offers great insight and advice.  Just like you, I was diagnosed and sent off with a pat on the back and Metformin.  When I finally learned what to do, I was able to get my A1c in the 5's and my fasting below 100 consistently in about 6 months.  Eventually, I was able to stop taking Metformin and now control with diet and exercise.  My A1c is consistently in the 4's and my fasting ranges in the 80's to 90's.

My PCP was in the "diabetes is a progressive condition" camp but he has had to concede that he may be mistaken.  Apparently I am the only patient he has had that has gone into remission.  He was extremely skeptical of the low carb/high fat diet but after nearly 4 years mys weight, lipids, and labs would suggest that this has been an excellent diet for me.  I had a lot going on 4 years ago.  Just by working on diabetes, I managed to lose 100 pounds of weight and get the energy back to get into cycling.  I love the sport.  I am more of a long distance and gravel guy than a mountain biker though.  Here are some fun before and after pics to show it can be done.  That bike in the photo is my Specialized Sequoia.  It has 42 tires which really soak up the bumps and still gives a good road ride.  I also have a Sirrus which is a fitness bike.  It has straight bars as opposed to road bars.  I also went to 38s from 35s on this bikre and loved the difference.

Get in the right frame of mind and diabetes may not slow you down at all.  Ironically, I am in the best shape of my life and the healthiest I have ever been because it motivated me to be do so. ~ Mike

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting and indoor

Image may contain: Michael Meyer, bicycle, tree, outdoor and nature

ran23

Giving up rice and rice noodles is the hardest thing for me also.   First I had to switch to Brown Rice to help get off of cholesterol med's.  Then I found myself with a rising glucose.  Coming here helped with my diet and taking the time to exercise more.  Eggs, stir-fry's,  low card bread occasionally, CarbMaster yogurt.   Walking a good 30 minutes at a time brings my numbers down quickly.    No more Mochi unless you walk more. 

Oski

Thanks for the info.   I've just started the keto diet not too long ago.   Wasn't eating anything but salads and lean meat before.  Now I can eat a tad bit differently with keto.  Was at 250ish with salad and lean meat.    With keto I've dropped to the 140ish range on the meter.  Gave me more hope.    

@meyery2k.  I will post a pic as soon as this nasty weather here clears up.   Haven't really had a good day to go out.   

Just found a substitute for rice noodles.   So I'm going to try shirataki noodles!  Thanks kit

Edited by Oski