Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

dowling gram

for sore throat and colds

dowling gram

Hi

Christmas is over but my family left me with a gift they didn't intend to give. My one grandson had the flu and cold before they came but he was over it by that time. They were here for about 10 days and in that time every member of their family came down with it. By careful hand washing I thought I'd escaped it but no such luck. They left on Jan. 2nd and by the 4th I had it with a vengeance but differently than they did. With theirs the flu symptoms came first and then the cold. Mine came all at once.

For 4 days I felt like dying would be better than living with this. I couldn't sleep it off like they did because of the constant cough and tickle in my throat. My sleep consisted of a couple hours at a time in the lazy boy and woke up coughing my guts out. Usually a salt water gargle helps but not this time. This went on for a week. One day I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and I saw the Listerine mouthwash. I thought If it kills germs in the mouth why not the throat. I grabbed it,took a good mouthful and gargled, then spit it out. Instant relief. The tickle was gone (but not forever)and I didn't cough as much. I still had all the other symptoms of a cold and flu but for the first time I got a good nights sleep even though I woke up coughing. I continue with the gargling and it makes things tolerable.

Talking to a friend about it who's in the medical field she told me that doctors often prescribe a mouthwash gargle for patients with strep throat. Nice to know!

Anyway life is almost with living for me. Can't wait until I lick this thing. I think next year I'll get the flu shot

OneEye
2 hours ago, dowling gram said:

Anyway life is almost with living for me. Can't wait until I lick this thing. I think next year I'll get the flu shot

Without the flu shot there's a 50/50 chance you'll get the flu next year if you're around a lot of people. If you do get the flu shot next year there's a also a 50/50 chance you'll get the flu. Influenza evolves every year. There are four types of influenza viruses: A, B, C and D. Human influenza A and B viruses cause seasonal epidemics of disease (known as the flu season) almost every winter in the United States.

Influenza A viruses are divided into subtypes based on two proteins on the surface of the virus: hemagglutinin (H) and neuraminidase (N). There are 18 different hemagglutinin subtypes and 11 different neuraminidase subtypes (H1 through H18 and N1 through N11, respectively). While there are potentially 198 different influenza A subtype combinations, only 131 subtypes have been detected in nature.

So, in order to produce a vaccine you have to know which strain of virus is going to be visiting us. Like the paragraph up above says...there's a 131 choices. Every flu vaccine is a guess.

meyery2k

Flu shots are something I have always been on the fence about.  My uncle and a few good friends swear by them.  They claim they get ill any year they don't get one.  Other friends get ill in spite of a flu shot.  I honestly could not say the illness is something other than influenza since there seems to be many different causative agents for respiratory illness.

I rarely get the flu whether I get vaccinated or not.  I did not get a flu shot this year because I felt my body was challenged enough by my illness in November.  I haven't decided if I will get it now.  Probably not since this does not look to be a particularly severe year.

Like @OneEye wrote, the vaccine is a best guess based upon what subtypes have been observed the year before so vaccination is not a guarantee.  It can, from what I understand, result in a less severe illness even when it is not 100% effective.

ran23

I also was on the fence about that.  My last was maybe 2005, then now on Medicare (2019) I finally had one.   ( Back in 2012?  I was on cholesterol  drugs for many years.  I got tired of that and quit, starting taking Beta-Glucan.  that brought down my LDL from 127 to 97. In all that time I didn't come down with any colds/flus.  When I told my wife (still working in a big office), she wanted to start it.)  

adiantum

Always keep zinc lozenges in your pocket when out in public.

Zinc must be absorbed in the mouth tissue to prevent colds & flu virus or even lessen the effect if already infected.

I put one in my mouth when  getting into public transport, or waiting to see the doctor etc , just in case someone starts sneezing or coughing.

I also have one at the first sign of a sore throat or sneeze, & it prevents  the infection taking hold.

It was a doctor that told me of this.