Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Rad Warrier

What happens when we discontinue Metformin

Rad Warrier

First, a happy new year to all members of Diabetes Forums.

I had often wondered what would happen if I stopped taking Metformin.

I can now say that I have personal experience of the consequences of discontinuing Metformin.

Till a year ago, my only diabetes medicine had been Metformin, 500 mg per day. Many people did comment that at this dosage, Metformin might be contributing precious little to my diabetes control.

Roughly a year ago, my doctor discontinued prescribing Metformin for me.  Her argument was that my blood sugar levels and A1c were good and I didn't need Metformin.  When I stopped taking Metformin, I started testing blood sugar a little more frequently than before.

For the first few weeks I didn't see any significant change in my blood sugar levels.  My morning fasting remained in the low to mid 90 mg/dl (5 to 5.3 mmol/l).  Preprandial (before lunch and supper) readings remained in the low to mid 80's (4.1 to 4.5 mmol/l). Two-hour postprandials were below 110 mg/dl (below 6.1 mmol/l) and by three or four hours they would reach the pre-prandial levels of low to mid 80's.  

After the first few weeks of discontinuing Metformin, the pre-prandial and post prandial readings didn't change, but the morning fasting reading began to increase slowly till they reached about 110 mg/dl (6.1 mmol/l).  Most of the time they remained around 110 but sometimes went even up to 120 mg/dl.  This situation remained for about 3 months.  The 3-month A1c rose up to 5.8 %.  After this, the morning fasting readings began to decrease very slowly.  Now, they are around 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/l) but once in a while I see readings like 108 mg/dl.  No change in preprandial readings - they are still in the low to mid 80's and the 2-hour post prandials are around 100 mg/dl.  The latest A1c is 5.6 %.

In short, except for a small rise in the morning fasting readings, no other readings have shown any significant change, positive or negative, after the discontinuance of Metformin.  A1c's have remained good.  I don't plan to restart taking Metformin, not just because my doctor is against it but also because I feel that its contribution to my diabetes control was not very significant. The less the medication I take, the better it is for my health, because no medicine is absolutely harmless in my opinion.

Regards,

Rad

don1942

About five years ago,  my Endo recommended I stop Metformin (100 mg twice a day)as he thought I was on several other medications (insulin, Zetia, Ramapril, and Pravastatin) and it would be a good idea to reduce my medications. Several weeks later, my BGs started to increase significantly above the BGs I had been experiencing while I was on Metformin. Apparently, the Metformin had been holding my insulin resistance in check. 

After going on my Medtronic 670G/CGM, I again stopped Metformin with little, if any side effects. Actually, my A1c has improved. Apparently, the 670G offsets the resistance and/or the resistance has decreased with age.

Kit

When I dropped from 500mg twice a day to once a day, my A1C went up half a percentage from 4.8 to 5.3.

I still haven't been able to get it back down.

Edited by Kit

meyery2k

I stopped taking Metformin under the doctor's advice with no appreciable difference in fasting BG or A1c.  If I don't exercise for a stretch, or have too many carbs for more than a day or two, my fasting BG will slowly increase

stevenal

Seems odd that doctors and members are looking to get off or reduce metformin. In addition to helping with blood glucose / A1C, it has anti-cancer properties and should probably go in the drinking water instead of fluoride from what I read. 😁 

adiantum

There are so many residents of Michigan peeing out  Metformin that it was found in the fish.

So I guess its already in the food supply.

9 minutes ago, stevenal said:

Seems odd that doctors and members are looking to get off or reduce metformin. In addition to helping with blood glucose / A1C, it has anti-cancer properties and should probably go in the drinking water instead of fluoride from what I read. 😁 

Kit
38 minutes ago, stevenal said:

I don't know if I would agree with it being put in the water but I do suspect something.

Doctors get annoyed and angry with patients who can't tolerate metformin

For those of us who handle it quite well, they want to get us off it as quickly as possible.

In other words, doctors only want you on meds which cause problems.  :D

adiantum

Its been reported from several sources. 

Theyre not just peeing it out but also flushing unused pills down the loo

Its not just Met but also antibiotics & hormone replacement drugs.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/01/13/metformin-diabetes-drug-pollution-lake-michigan/21734507/