Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
fattyboyjp3

Hello All just stopping in to complain!

fattyboyjp3

I have been somewhat busy my Diabetic mother in law passed away 2 weeks ago so we had to go thru all this, I have lost the person that I talked to about this shoot! :( I have been just helping the family out my wife's DAD is now alone so we have to check on him, the good thing they live right up the road!  Trying to help my wife with the loss of her mom.   I found out my son will be deploying to Iraq on Sunday!  2020 has not been so good yet, I am still doing my thing riding my bikes in the cold sometimes eating the wrong shoot, but when I ride or workout it lowers it, pretty fast.  So today this morning at 7 am I made a 2egg omelet with onions peppers and habaneros  so I just now took my blood and I am 199

yesterday before I went on my ride I was 326, because of some crackers and chips I ate.  I know I shouldn't have eaten it I had a can of tuna with no bread. but I ate the other stuff.  So now I am starving I have some OatMeal Fiber& Protein, I will eat this but I know it will spike me again!  For lunch, I have a Breast of Chicken that I made this morning.  SO anyways so yesterday after my hour ride i checked myself and I was 105 once back in my truck.

So anyways Diabetes sucks!

fattyboyjp3

Please let me know if I read this label wrong?  I am thinking this is ok to eat this?

nutrion.JPG

meyery2k

What a rough start.  Hang in there!  I would avoid something with 28g of carbs per serving while there is a significant amount of fiber that some would say offsets that, my own personal journey has suggested that carbs are carbs.  The oats especially would be a red flag since those are simple carbs.

You could, though, try it out and test with your meter.  I have found that I can eat some things in small quantities like potatoes and even a tangerine once in a while and either preceding or following a good bike ride.

fattyboyjp3

Thanks, yea I just wish I could find a good snack during the day, I am going down to the gym here at work for lunch, I will check it when I get back!   

meyery2k

I have found mixed nuts, peanuts, or macadamia nuts to be great snacking food.  Even peanut butter in limited quantity.

Kit

I'm sorry about your mother-in-law.  Its difficult to loose family.  You and your wife have my condolences.

Yeah, even if you looked at just grams of net carbs, 21g is still the vast majority of my carb consumption for a day.  My body just couldn't tolerate it.

For shelf stable no prep snacks, I found the easiest are nuts.  I like to hit the bulk section of my local store and buy a half a pound of all of the nuts I like (walnuts, pecans, almonds, brazil nuts, hazel nuts, macadamia).  I then mix them all together and separate out into single serving containers.  That last bit isn't necessary, but I find its easier to stick to a portion size of nuts if I can only take 1 portion.  :)

If you get them raw, you can season and roast them yourself so you can have all sorts of flavors if desired.  I tend to prefer either raw or roasted and unsalted/unseasoned.

fattyboyjp3

I am finding it very hard to keep eating the same thing over and over again, I think that is why I stray and find myself with a high reading.  So what carb is a good carb number with fiber and Protein what do you guys look for I know we are all different, looking at labels is just a thing we do I guess.  I also look at the ingredients like the first 2 lines, it is hard to only find one Line of ingredients. 

Kit

I will be honest.  If it comes in a package, I likely do not eat it. (There are a few exceptions, but they aren't that common, such as cheese, cream, and similar.))  Packaged foods are full of fillers, chemicals, added sugars, starches, food colorings, preservatives, and similar, none of it stuff I want to have in my body and, to be honest, my body cannot tolerate anymore anyway.

Look at the label you gave above.  I bet you whatever it is is touting high fiber and whole grain.  Yet really look at the label.  75% of the carbs are fast acting carbs, basically just sugar to your body.

Now you don't give a lot of details above, but I get the feeling that you are having problems breaking your dependency on convenience foods (ie processed prepackaged sugars and starches).  This is going to be one of your biggest stumbling blocks and you are going to struggle until you can move past it

Instead of relying on these foods,, plan a head.  Lets say you know that 3 days a week you go to the gym and work out for 2 hours and afterwards you will want a snack of some kind.  Instead of depending on packaged foods with questionable ingredients, make something from scratch that you can bring with you or have when you return home.  Most items can survive a few hours without refrigeration without having to worry.  or stick in a bag with a cold pack to last a number of hours.  Exactly what you make will depend on what you like and what you feel you need.

An example might be a tupperwear container with leftovers from what you had for dinner from the night before.  Or maybe once a week you bulk cook something that will work well.  You can then store in fridge and all you need to do is grab it as you head out to the gym.  I'll be honest, I like to take a large lettuce leaf (bib or whole romain leaves work best for me) land layer with left over meat, spread with cream cheese, add more cheese if you like, bell pepper, or whatever else you personally like and roll it up so the lettuce is the bread.  I then dip this is mustard (I LOVE mustards).  I can make as many or few as I feel I need or want of whatever size I want, stick in a container, and go.  Yeah, the guy eating the granola bar glorified candy bar may look cooler than you, but you are eating real food that your body actually wants and needs, not processed sugars and starches given a name to make it sound like its healthy.

Exact macronutrient ratios do vary from person to person.  Here's mine.

I aim for 30g carbs or less per day.  That includes fiber.  I sometimes go a little over, but that's usually because I ate something really fiber heavy like flax crackers and so let myself go a little over.

I aim for around 60-80g of protein a day.  If I consistently drop lower than that for a while, I start feeling really bad, especially the muscles in my hips and upper legs.  But I'm also a small (5'1") middle aged woman who does not do strenuous activity on a regular basis.  I love to walk and hike, I use barbells at home.  I don't go biking up mountains or seriously lift weights, etc.

The rest is fat.  Usually somewhere around 100g a day.  Some days not so much, some days a little more.  It depends on what I am making.

Ok, after ranting about packaged foods, I'll tell you about some exceptions.  There are brands showing up more and more that are paleo and/or keto friendly and they focus on providing pre packaged foods for people who don't want to break that dependency.  I can't remember brand names, I don't use most of them because they still contain questionable ingredients.  But I do remember one.

Epic has a series of protein bars that are basically just meat and seasonings.  Their Chicken and Sriracha have next to no carbs and are pretty decent.  They have other flavors, but those have more carbs as they usually contain fruit.  Bison with cranberry is pretty decent but at 8g carbs per bar, I don't bother with it.  I usually buy a half dozen of the chicken bars if I'm going on a trip for emergency situations.

And I just can't think of any others off hand.  They exist, I've read about them, but I don't use them so they don't stick in my memory.

I still want to encourage you to break the pre packaged food dependency.  Focus instead of whole real food instead of stuff in packages.  It will be better for you overall, even if you weren't doing low carb.

adiantum

@fattyboyjp3, I hope 2020 will consider you free of stress & sadness for the next 11 months.

Perhaps you could increase  the fat in your diet to keep those hunger pangs away.

Cheese,nuts & olives are  a good standby.

I like havarti cheese because its chewy & travels well on  picnics & packed snacks for my days in the city.

meyery2k

At first, I thought the diet was restrictive.  I found that I was dead wrong.  Once I unshackled myself from the idea of starches, my culinary world opened right up.  With all the meat, cheese, fats, nuts, spices, vegetables, eggs, and so on, there is wondrous variety.

You gotta love a diet where they say butter and cheese are good for you!

adiantum

Hard boiled eggs are a good choice for a snack.

Forget the BS they threw at us that eggs were not good for cholesterol etc.

Olives & cheese are my main choices but occasionally I cook up extra garlic prawns to enjoy as a snack the next day.

Crustless pizza is also a good option. princesslinda posted a recipe for that some time ago.

sausages would also work but take care there as some fillings are very carby.

12 hours ago, fattyboyjp3 said:

Thanks, yea I just wish I could find a good snack during the day, I am going down to the gym here at work for lunch, I will check it when I get back!   

Hammer

My go to snacks are slices of Swiss cheese (I don't particularly like Swiss cheese, but the all of the other cheeses that I like have too much sodium), and cashews, but be careful of the cashews as they do contain carbs and sodium.  I buy the more expensive whole cashews instead of the halves and pieces.  I found that eating the halves and pieces means that you have to pour them into your hand, which results in more than you should eat.  The whole cashews can be picked up one at a time and eaten slowly, so it's easier to control how many you eat.

Another snack is chicken salad.  If you make you own and put it in a tupperwear container, a 12 ounce serving has less than 4 carbs.  I used to buy the chicken salad already made at the Wal-Mart deli, but a 12 ounce container of that has 35 carbs.  Tuna salad is another good one.  I don't put the chicken or tuna salad on anything, I just eat it out of the container. 

I used to snack on pepperoni slices that come in a little bag, but that is processed meat, and has a ton of sodium, even though they have zero carbs.  Another snack is pork skins.  They also have zero carbs, but they have a lot of sodium also. (the barbecue flavored ones are not as dry.)  When eating pork skins, you need to have something to drink so they don't get caught in your throat.

fattyboyjp3
On 1/25/2020 at 6:23 AM, Hammer said:

My go to snacks are slices of Swiss cheese (I don't particularly like Swiss cheese, but the all of the other cheeses that I like have too much sodium), and cashews, but be careful of the cashews as they do contain carbs and sodium.  I buy the more expensive whole cashews instead of the halves and pieces.  I found that eating the halves and pieces means that you have to pour them into your hand, which results in more than you should eat.  The whole cashews can be picked up one at a time and eaten slowly, so it's easier to control how many you eat.

Another snack is chicken salad.  If you make you own and put it in a tupperwear container, a 12 ounce serving has less than 4 carbs.  I used to buy the chicken salad already made at the Wal-Mart deli, but a 12 ounce container of that has 35 carbs.  Tuna salad is another good one.  I don't put the chicken or tuna salad on anything, I just eat it out of the container. 

I used to snack on pepperoni slices that come in a little bag, but that is processed meat, and has a ton of sodium, even though they have zero carbs.  Another snack is pork skins.  They also have zero carbs, but they have a lot of sodium also. (the barbecue flavored ones are not as dry.)  When eating pork skins, you need to have something to drink so they don't get caught in your throat.

Yes most of what you said here I eat I have Chicken today with lettuce, but now the Doctor put me on Jardiance 10mg I am taking the samples they are giving me and man this drug really works!   But now I have to really watch when I bike ride for 2hrs I have to carry candy with me.  I was 85 yesterday when I got home so crazy how low numbers make you feel!   I have a lot of learning the feelings now.   I also have to try to get on a program with this Jardiance it is 500 bucks when you go to get a refill!

stevenal

I find Babybels to be a great snack. Individually packaged, but not with plastic. They last a long time without refrigeration too. Be careful to avoid the low fat ones.

Hammer

Fattyboy, when you dropped to that 85, your body probably gave you a false hypo.  When you're fasting numbers are high, say in the 130's, then you drop to the 80's, your body had been accustomed to being in the 130's, so when you dropped into the 80's, it acted as if you were going too low, so that resulted in a false hypo.  False hypos won't hurt you, they just feel uncomfortable.   When you actually have a real hypo, meaning that your glucose levels drop below 70, your body has a built in alert system to make you aware of it.  What happens is that your adrenal gland releases adrenaline, and by doing that, your metabolism speeds up rapidly.  You might be relaxing in a chair watching TV, then you go low and adrenaline is released.  Your body goes from zero to 100 mph in a matter of minutes.  The results are that you feel hot and begin to sweat, you feel weak kneed, your body shakes, you can have trouble seeing, your lips or tongue get a little numb, and if it's a severe low, you can become incoherent.  A false hypo does the same thing, you can get the same effects, but the difference is that you aren't so low as to cause you any harm.  As your fasting glucose numbers stay in the lower range, say the 80's, those false hypos will stop.

I know exactly what real hypos feel like since I get them all of the time.  I use insulin and if I miscalculate the dose, I can go low.  I've been so low (in the 20's) that I had a hard time trying to get a BG reading on my meter because my hands were shaking so much, that I couldn't place a drop of blood on the test strip.  I've been in the 20's twice, the 30's three times, the forties, fifties and 60's, too many times to count.  I keep glucose tablets on hand for those instances when I go low.  You can use candy also, but glucose tablets get into your system a lot quicker than candy.

meyery2k

85 would be a good place to be at.  When I do my bike rides I stay in the low to mid 80's.  On my last big ride, I had a good lunch on the road and skipped dinner at an attempt to intermittent fast.  The next morning (about 16 hours later) I was still in the 80's.

Kit

Agreed, 85 is not low.  That's normal.  You are feeling bad because your body is not used to normal numbers.

I used to get that feeling as well early on, but haven't felt it for years now.

I highly recommend, do not feed yourself candy when you have normal numbers.  That completely defeats the purpose of your medication.  Instead eat a little bit of real food.  It honestly doesn't take very much.  You will still feel better and you aren't dumping all of that extra unneeded sugar into your body.