Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Kaitlyngrace0992@gmail.com

I have ketones? Am I diabetic?

Hello!

Recently I haven’t been feeling so well and have been using the bathroom much more than usual, I hadn’t noticed any pain but decided to be sure I didn’t have a UTI or something by using a urine test strip. I didn’t have a UTI luckily but it was positive for ketones (in low amounts) I am very skinny and have never been on a diet my entire life, nor do I exercise often... I was extremely skeptical and decided to check again just to be sure and they were still there? It has been three days and they have not gone away, I don’t think its diabetes but my grandfather did get it quite young so I was just hoping to get a word of the wise from people who know much more about this than I do... 🙂

Edited by Kaitlyngrace0992@gmail.com
Poorly written title

adiantum

Hi,

I strongly urge you to  go for a doctors view on this so they can order the right tests to be run.

Being very skinny might suggests your body is burning fat when there's no available  glucose to burn.

meyery2k

Diabetes is the clinical description of excessive glucose in your blood stream.  I have adopted a high fat low carb diet and often have small amounts of ketones in my urine labs.  Apparently this is from burning fat for fuel and is not considered abnormal in my case because I limit the carbs I eat and am very physically active.  

A GP can perform some very simple testing to see if you have diabetes.  If you have a concern, I would agree with @adiantum and at least consult with a GP.

Thank you for the advice I will definitely schedule an appointment soon! 

Eurotoff

Yes, professional advice is really needed for this kind of situation. I hope it is not serious, though.