Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Mirsy

a little insulin at bedtime

Mirsy

Hi everyone, I told the pharmacist/care doc at Kaiser that yes, we wanted to try a little insulin at bedtime.  She is now saying his #s have to be above 160 in am and 200 at bedtime!  She also said his bs goals are before meals 80-160 and at bedtime 100-200!  She said his HAiC goal is below 8% and his was 7.4.  Are all these high goals because they are afraid to give him the insulin incase he gets too low?  

Mirsy

forgo to mention is latest fasting #s were 173, 162, 159 and 158.  His latest bedtime readings were 229 (chili w beans), 148, 160 and 143.   Sounds like he might qualify for the insulin because of the fasting #s but not the bedtime.  What do you guys suggest?  I feel like here she suggested "a little insulin at bedtime" and now she doesn't want to give it to him.  Do I have to fight them for it?

Kit

I'm so sorry.  I don't have any answers for you.  IMO they are murdering their diabetic patients.  It sounds like your husband is in the damage range all the time.  Those are in no way, shape, or form good numbers.  of course he has retinopathy.  More problems will come down the road as well.  My brother simply went blind from retinopathy.  After that, circulation issues, slow healing, kidney damage, eventual kidney failure, dialysis, gangrene, sepsis, 2 amputations, finally died of a heart attack.  There's a big thread somewhere in the archives, specifically about my brother and what it was like as things progressed more and more, faster and faster.

And yes, Diabetics, and their families, have to fight in order to receive decent treatment.

If you can't get decent treatment from Kaiser, go out of network.  My husband currently has Kaiser for his insurance, and none of his doctors are Kaiser doctors or associated with Kaiser at all.  His insurance still pays for his regular doctor visits.  I honestly don't like the Kaiser model because it appears to remove the "second opinion" as an option for patients, and I find that to be criminal.

And I am going to comment here, but mostly just because I don't understand and I have heard this from a number of people.  I have never been shunted off to a diabetes nurse or pharmacist.  I talk to my doctor and my doctor only.  If I do not like the treatment from that doctor, I fire them and find another.  I've been through a few of them over the past 6 years and I have no problems telling them to their face that they are fired.  Remember, you are the one who pays for the visits.  yes, it goes through your insurance, but we pay dearly for that.  You are the customer, they are the service provider.  if you do not like the treatment you are receiving, take your business elsewhere.  They are not donating this service to you.  They are not doing you, or your husband, any favors.  You have not been blessed by the privilege to seeing them.

This is important information.  Do not forget it.  Hospitals, doctors, clinics are very talented at making us forget who is actually in charge.  You are in charge.  It is your health, your life.

I'm going to toss out some additional reading material.  I am a large proponent that diabetics and their families be educated in the disease.

First off is Dr Richard K Bernstein.  He wrote The Diabetes Solution.  He's a T1 diabetic (in his 70s I believe) diagnosed as a child right after the invention of insulin.  He is also a doctor and specializes in treating diabetics.  He is very passionate on the subject (has to be if he's still practicing long after most doctors would have retired) and his book has a lot of valuable information in it.  You can read a good portion of it online for free.

http://www.diabetes-book.com/

It was the first thing I read on the subject that made me feel hopeful instead of wanting to jump of a skyscraper after I was diagnosed.

I also recommend BloodSugar101 (just Google it).  Specifically the section dealing with complications.  She talks about a number of studies and gives hard facts.  Its information you will need to make sure your husband gets proper treatment.

Edited by Kit

Mirsy

Thank you Kit.  I don't think our Kaiser will pay the bills if we go out of Kaiser.  I will have to research this.  I do know that we are not getting good advice from Kaiser right now.  I have Bernsteins book and I will get it out and read it again.