Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
sini

difficulties managing glucose level

sini

Hi guys,

my name is Sini,I have T1D for 40 years.About a year ago I switched to a low carb diet which,in general, changed my life to so much better (my A1C used to be around 6.8%,now it is in the 5.3 - 5.6% range).I am using FreeStyle Libre and FreeStyle Precision Neo to monitor my glucose.

However I do have an issue with glucose level management.

I noticed that approximately every 4-6 weeks it happens that my glucose goes off,usually not higher than 10mmol/l.It used to last 2-3 days and then it would get back to normal.As much as I can remember it started about 1.5 years ago.

Today is the 8th day that I'm out of my normal range and trying to find out how to manage it.

My diet is pretty steady,when everything is fine I keep my levels between 4.0-6.5mmol/l without any problem.

I've tried several things

- increased  Novorapid insulin up to 4 units per meal

- increased long acting insulin Toujeo 3 units

- made sure to change pen needles and check if insulin pen is working properly

- tried to use "new" insulin and started using new pen

- changed injection sites

Unfortunately no change yet!

I would really appreciate the feedback if there are others who experienced the same thing.

Thank you,

Sini

Hammer

As a type 2, I can't answer a lot of your questions, but have you been sick, like maybe a cold, the flu, or had a lot of stress lately?  Any of those things can cause your glucose levels to rise.  Any time your body is under stress with illness, emotional stress, whatever, your liver will release more glucose to try to give your body extra energy to combat that stress.

Kit

Could it be hormone related?  I know from personal experience, that hormones can have quite the affect on your BG levels and its affect can be quite erratic.

I'm guessing you are female.  Is that the case?

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

sini

Thank you for replaying!

I agree that all of the factors above can most definitely affect glucose level.I believe I finaly found what caused it go off - my insulin pen (I've been using it for about 1.5 years) was faulty,not injecting enough insulin.

I got a new ona and my glucose is back to normal!