Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

miketurco

Using Victoza with Insulin

miketurco

My educator recommended victoza and also asked the doctor to prescribe it, which he did. I've got a tube of the stuff in the fridge. My educator knows I'm really cautious when it comes to taking insulin and that I avoid lows the best I can. (I have them once or sometimes twice a month, sometimes not at all, which doesn't seem bad to me.) So I told her I'd be really careful and left it at that.

A little background: Right now I'm taking 50u lantus a day and, oh, 80 to 100/day of humalog for meals/corrections. My A1c is around 6.2-ish (a little high for my liking) and weight-wise I need to lose.

So, now, I'm looking at info online to figure out what to do with my long and short acting insulin. The first thing I see on the victoza site is it says you can take it with long acting insulin. They're not so clear when it comes to rapid acting insulin, and I'm not finding any info about that as I search for information on the google. Also, there's no discussion on whether I should reduce the amount of long acting I take, and by how much and when.

And on top of that, I understand that it takes a few weeks to kick in, as you follow the titration schedule. So I don't know if It's recommended that I decrease the amount of insulin I take over a period of time.

Does anyone have any suggestion, or can you share your experience in this matter? I can email my doctor or call my educator, but feel that doing so without some basic understanding on my part would be a mistake.

Tanks!!

Edited by miketurco

miketurco

I see no replies, so I'll tie this up with my decision on what to do. I'll cut back on Lantus but continue to take it at the same time each night. I'll continue to bolus in the morning. Afternoon bolusing will be a wait-and-see kind of thing, I suspect the amount will go down. New to my routine is taking Victoza at 1pm each day.

OneEye

Where can I get help taking my Victoza® injections?

There are a few ways to get the assistance you need, including talking to your health care provider. You can also call a VictozaCare™ Coach. They’re available at 1-877-905-1126, M–F, 8:30 am to 6:00 pm. And you can download the Victoza® User Guide for complete instructions on how to use your Victoza® pen.

Download the Victoza® User Guide ►

miketurco
1 hour ago, adiantum said:

I'm sorry you had no replies Mike. 

I dont do meds so had no suggestion for you.

No biggie! I'd like to get off some of my meds, at least. """"I'm working on it""" (as always).

Edited by miketurco