Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

randian

What do you do if are stuck without insulin?

randian

There was an emergency plane evacuation at SFO today and I got to thinking what happens if you are then without insulin and test gear, especially if you are in another state where your prescription isn't any good and the local pharmacies might not be in your insurance network, assuming the insurance co will even pay because, technically, you are getting more insulin than prescribed for the month.

adiantum

I imagine it would be unusual for you to travel without your gear,  but surely the local hospital would be the next  step.

randian
7 minutes ago, adiantum said:

I imagine it would be unusual for you to travel without your gear,  but surely the local hospital would be the next  step.

You wouldn't be traveling without gear, but that gear might be stuck somewhere you can't get to it (see evacuation example) or be destroyed in a fire, or something. I doubt the hospital is going to give you a replacement Novolog pen, for example.

adiantum

Fair enough... things would be different here in Australia.

Hope someone from your country replies.

dowling gram
34 minutes ago, randian said:

You wouldn't be traveling without gear, but that gear might be stuck somewhere you can't get to it (see evacuation example) or be destroyed in a fire, or something. I doubt the hospital is going to give you a replacement Novolog pen, for example.

The hospital probably wouldn't give you a pen. They might not even have them on hand but i imagine they would give you insulin and maybe a prescription for your pens especially if you had an emergency situation or forced evacuation

OneEye
23 hours ago, randian said:

There was an emergency plane evacuation at SFO today and I got to thinking what happens if you are then without insulin and test gear, especially if you are in another state where your prescription isn't any good and the local pharmacies might not be in your insurance network, assuming the insurance co will even pay because, technically, you are getting more insulin than prescribed for the month.

My opinion? That insulin is your lifeline to health. Sure, you can pack it up and stick it in overhead or cargo...but in an emergency where you're seperated from it...it does you no good. Be prepared. Store the bulk of your insulin as you like...but keep some on you for cases like this. And by on you I do mean "on you"!

You have to be smarter than the situation!

Edited by OneEye

Hammer

I agree with OneEye.  Keep your insulin on you, not stored somewhere else.  When I flew to Las Vegas for Christmas with my mother, sister, her husband, and her son, to meet my brother and his wife there to spend Christmas together, I took my insulin pens with me in my sport coat's inside pocket.  Not just one pen, but enough pens to last me for my stay in Vegas, plus a few days more.  I kept the pen needle tips in my sport coat's outside pocket (in a zip lock plastic bag) so that I'd have them with me also.

If the situation happened that Randian mentioned, just call your physician, and have him call in a prescription to a local pharmacy where you are staying.

Edited by Hammer

OneEye

Remember, folks...you're either the one in control of your medications, or you're not. If you're on insulin that means something "daily". $#|t happens...don't let that affect you!

Even the Boy Scouts, at their tender age, suggest that one "Be Prepared...". It doesn't take too many times of "not" being prepared to remind you that you're a diabetic and this should be second nature.

To quote Charlton Heston..."From my cold, dead hands!"

FunDad62

I know fanny packs are nerdy these days but if I traveled a lot, I think that's what I'd use.  That way if anything happens in a hurry you don't even have to think about it.  It stays attached to you.

image.png.481a3b311f1d01e21ce058ba089b60c5.png

don1942

You can get insulin and testing supplies at Walmart without a prescription.

OneEye
9 minutes ago, don1942 said:

You can get insulin and testing supplies at Walmart without a prescription.

It is true, but...although you should note Walmart sells human insulin, an older version of the glucose-moderating hormone, whereas most insulin-dependent diabetics are currently prescribed insulin analogs that have evolved to help prevent dangerous swings in blood-glucose levels.

It would behoove anyone considering this as an option to search out what crossover dosages are recommended and pay strict attention to what it's doing to your blood glucose. We're talking about changing from one type of insulin to another, not one type of soft drink to another. "Oh, you don't serve Coca~Cola, you serve Pepsi? Not a problem...they all taste the same!"

don1942

However, we are talking an emergency situation until you can secure your regular medication and I agree close monitoring is essential.

OneEye
25 minutes ago, don1942 said:

However, we are talking an emergency situation until you can secure your regular medication and I agree close monitoring is essential.

I would consider an "emergency situation" going down with the plane and walking out the side of the plane with one less arm and your shirt still on fire. All it takes is a few minutes at home asking yourself, "What if?" The answers that you come up with will then designate whether there's an "emergency", or not.

After 77 years I'm of the mind that one is either "prepared" for things...or they're not.

bespawlerbison
On 3/5/2020 at 8:39 PM, FunDad62 said:

I know fanny packs are nerdy these days but if I traveled a lot, I think that's what I'd use.  That way if anything happens in a hurry you don't even have to think about it.  It stays attached to you.

image.png.481a3b311f1d01e21ce058ba089b60c5.png

This is a great idea. You should buy one like this.