Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
adiantum

Medication Shortages

adiantum

Many medications  will be harder to come by now that India has limited their exports because of the coronavirus.

India rely on China for near 70% of the pharmaceutical ingredients. & now thats an uncertain supply.

The only meds I take  is Aspirin & thats made in India.

USA imports 24  % medications from India plus 31% pharmaceutical ingredients.. so be aware of your med needs & the origins of the ingredients .

This  link names some antibiotics, Vit B12, progesterone & paracetamol .

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/fear-of-medicine-shortage-spreads-as-india-limits-exports/12026762

ran23

My Liposomal Vit C last month for $18.89/ 180 ct, today $32.00 for the same.  ebay prices.   

ran23

The Seller was nice enough to send another bottle if I did a good review.   sure enough.   

adiantum

I'm not sure 'nice ' can be used in the same sentence as that seller.

Ive no respect for those that take such an advantage of others when times are vulnerable.

It will be interesting if you get that 2nd bottle.

adiantum

I'm unable to get zinc + c  chewables anywhere. All online pharmacies are out of stock .

Ive phoned 3 local pharmacies stores & they have none either.

I use these to guard against colds & flu so this shortage is a worry.

Nature's Own Zinc + C 60 Lozenges

ran23

Wow, doing a search for it up my way, and  sold out also.  I have one spare bottle to last awhile. 

adiantum

No luck Ran. Theres some chemists selling on ebay but are they drop shipping?

I ordered through 2 online chemists but Ive not heard  from one & the other emailed saying they hoped to get some in stock this week.

I still have one unopened bottle.

straight zinc might be OK when infected but to prevent infections you need to have  it absorbed  in the mouth & throat tissue which you get  with the chewables.

ran23

those are full size tablets.   Now I have Nature's Way, Zinc Lozenges w/ Echinacea and Vit C. ( Zinc 23mg, C 100 mg).  So those are a chew-able tablet/disc.  They are a popular company in the US.  maybe check if those ship your way,  next time I will see if they are in stock.    

adiantum

Thanks Ran. Ive not seen them before.

I've ordered some through Piping Rock. Its not Australian so delivery might not be this month.

adiantum

An email from Piping Rock US advising my order has been processed & posted.

Thats a mighty relief as I depend on those lozenges to ward off infections.

It also decreases the severity of infections 

Still no luck with the 2 Australian orders.

One chemist hasnt  even replied to my email asking if my order has been processed.

Edited by adiantum

TX_Clint

More importantly can you guys buy toilet paper. The idiots around here have stripped the shelves. I mean how crazy people are. Sure the hand sanitizers and hand soaps are gone but why toilet paper. I just wonder what were they wiping with before the covid-19 virus was announced? 

adiantum

Funny you should mention toilet paper... I was just in the garden this morning checking the suitability of leaves. 

Some were too thin, some too hard & the pumpkin leaves  hairs might irritate.

some people no longer can fit their car in the garage as its filled with toilet paper.

I received an online order Wednesday & commented the toilet paper was out of stock.. he said they get a delivery every night but you have to be there early mornings to get in the queue. I'll not queue for toilet paper!!

Kit
2 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

More importantly can you guys buy toilet paper. The idiots around here have stripped the shelves. I mean how crazy people are. Sure the hand sanitizers and hand soaps are gone but why toilet paper. I just wonder what were they wiping with before the covid-19 virus was announced? 

I've wondered the same thing myself.  I could also understand surface cleaners.  Toilet paper just blows my mind.  :)

adiantum

Panic buying has started on medications now.

The gov has directed pharmacies to fill scripts for one month supply only.

OTC ventolin can only be bought by single unit.

Baby Panadol liquid is to be kept behind the counter with 1 bottle per customer.

supermarkets paracetamol has left the shelves

ran23

Glad I grabbed a 90 day script refill a while back.  Too bad the side effects, I will have to drop it.  

adiantum

Ibought 2pkts Panadol end of April  so I guess that was panic buying my style.

I still have a packet but its use by date was 2012  so I'm not a regular user.

I  thought maybe  aches & pains accompanied coraona so I'd be ready.

ArrowAntoinette

good luck to all of us!