Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Hammer

Coronavirus

Dowling

Hammer--When some people are handed lemons sometimes they make lemonade and others let them sit there until they rot. Bravo to your son-in- law. Family is the most important thing in the world and it's so nice when your kids make you proud. I keep telling my son and his family that they are my gift to the world. The world doesn't need more actors or singers or people with money. The greatest thing this world can have is law abiding, caring people. They are the ones who change things for the better

don1942

As an older person, I am grateful that a guy calls me several days a week to make sure I am ok. I believe he is calling from India and seems to be especially concerned about my car warranty.

don1942

My wife’s friend down the street tested positive two days ago. We had to cancel our grand 

son’s visit until after we are tested on Friday.

meyery2k

A good day is one in which someone else's day was made better because I could help them.  Small or great, kindness is often in short supply.  My daughter and I went to the store today and there was a woman with a baby in the holder, dealing with bags of groceries, stuff spilling all over.  She went and helped get the stuff to the car.  Proud Dad here!  She is younger than me so she beat me to it lol...  COVID and all, she still helps.  She is CNA at a care home now and also performing home care for an individual.  She is going to finally (hopefully) finish college with a degree in nursing.  Her goal is to become a nurse/practitioner.  I can see her doing that.  I think she would be a terrific medic but she is not keen on the stress of that job.  Like what she does now isn't stressful <sarcasm>.

Hammer

Something that I just realized with Don's post.  It's interesting how we automatically know what someone means when they say, "XXX" tested positive".  We don't question what they tested positive for, we just know.

adiantum

The hint there is that its a forum named Coronavirus.  He'd name  it if it was anything else.

3 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Something that I just realized with Don's post.  It's interesting how we automatically know what someone means when they say, "XXX" tested positive".  We don't question what they tested positive for, we just know.

buddy7
8 hours ago, don1942 said:

My wife’s friend down the street tested positive two days ago. We had to cancel our grand 

son’s visit until after we are tested on Friday.

Sorry to hear about your wife’s friend, now the scientist and medical teams around the world, know a little more about the virus, one hopes your wife’s friend pulls through the virus OK.

Makes good sense about your grandson’s visit. I did the same when my daughter tested positive.

buddy7

Our hope lies on the two vaccines we’ve got going for us Pfizer and Oxford Astra Zeneca, why? It would appear things have gone out of control in the UK.

Cases

3.16M …. Deaths 83,203 …. The daily death toll for yesterday, +1,243

2coolChess
5 hours ago, buddy7 said:

Our hope lies on the two vaccines we’ve got going for us Pfizer and Oxford Astra Zeneca, why? It would appear things have gone out of control in the UK.

Cases

3.16M …. Deaths 83,203 …. The daily death toll for yesterday, +1,243

Is something happened with Moderna vaccines? 

buddy7
1 hour ago, 2coolChess said:

Is something happened with Moderna vaccines? 

Not as far as I know? Of late, The UK has placed an order for the US Moderna vaccine.

ran23

Well, a whole household caught SARS-Covid while visiting family in Las Vegas. I have been putting off going down to visit.  This is my Niece's side of her family.  

adiantum

What a sad  yet scary family situation ran. I wish them a speedy recovery.

Glad you refrained from visiting.

I'm amazed at the feedom of travel in your country during a pandemic.

Our states borders get closed  with  an announced outbreak &   police guard the borders

meyery2k

I just found out one of my castmates in "Our Town" lost his father to COVID.  What a cruel pandemic.  

adiantum

I'm glad you will get vaccinated Ran, we dont want to lose you.

..I'll even risk the allergy & get it when it becomes available here.

meyery2k

I know 2 people that are vaccinated.  My friend in the PD said she had no problems except for a sore arm.  My daughter said her arm became quite sore for about 2 days after vaccination and then nothing.

Hammer

I know that people here know that I won't get the vaccine, and here is yet another reason why I won't get the vaccine...well, it's not actually a vaccine, but watch the video.  Fast forward it to 8:20, to avoid all of the boring stuff.

adiantum

Be alert but not alarmed seems appropriate when vaccinations of those in aged care nursing homes.

More than 30,000 people have received the first shot of the Pfizer or Moderna coronavirus vaccines in Norway since the end of December.

The country's medical regulator listed fever and nausea as side effects that may have led to the deaths of some frail patients.

There have been a small number of deaths among older people in Norway who received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and suffered side effects.

The Norwegian Medicines Agency last week reported a total of 29 people had experienced side effects, including 13 who died.

All the deaths occurred among patients in nursing homes and all were over the age of 80.

In its report, the Norwegian Medicines Agency said that 21 women and eight men had experienced side effects.

The country's medical regulator listed fever and nausea as side effects that may have led to the deaths of some frail patients.

""We don't know yet whether [these deaths are] a function simply of age, and people who are older and sadly facing the natural loss of their life, or whether there's any causation," he said"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-17/norway-coronavirus-pfizer-vaccine-reported-side-effects-deaths/13064910

Dowling
On 1/15/2021 at 4:45 AM, Hammer said:

I know that people here know that I won't get the vaccine, and here is yet another reason why I won't get the vaccine...well, it's not actually a vaccine, but watch the video.  Fast forward it to 8:20, to avoid all of the boring stuff.

Hogwash!!!  hammer and a screwed up theory. Yes they think gene therapy may work on many diseases including cancer but that doesn't mean that the same gene therapy is used for every disease mainly because it is not a 1 size fits all.

To get the Moderna vaccine and Pfizer for that matter first they had to analyze the virus's DNA. They found a protein that if they could replicate it would attach to the virus and prevent it  from entering the body's cells. The body's immune system would recognize that virus and attack it again with the same technology and that makes you immune. That is a simplistic explanation but I'm not qualified to give a scientific one.

For cancer they would have to find a gene and a way to stop the cancer replicating itself but it wouldn't look anything like the Covid gene. You can see how gene therapy could help with treatment of many diseases but no one therapy could help with a multitude of diseases. It has to be specific the disease or in this case the virus.

I can't wait to get the vaccine. If I could I'd be first in line!!

2coolChess

I'm also unsure if I'm to take mRNA vaccines as it's literally new and I'm very worried about the side effects it may give after a couple of years. I have heard about traditional vaccines like the AstraZeneca a safer choice if you really want to get vaccinated. Does anyone here decide to use it instead?

adiantum

I'd be more worried about the long lasting effects of covid-19.

The coroners pics of  pox pitted heart & lungs sggests even the survivors will have damaged organs.

11 hours ago, 2coolChess said:

I'm also unsure if I'm to take mRNA vaccines as it's literally new and I'm very worried about the side effects it may give after a couple of years

Congrats Diana, a sore arm is minor so should remove the fears of many.

Dowling
12 hours ago, 2coolChess said:

I'm also unsure if I'm to take mRNA vaccines as it's literally new and I'm very worried about the side effects it may give after a couple of years. I have heard about traditional vaccines like the AstraZeneca a safer choice if you really want to get vaccinated. Does anyone here decide to use it instead?

I have a question for anyone who doesn't want the vaccine. Which is worse getting Covid, perhaps dying or getting very sick and having the after effects that many are reporting. Memory problems or brain fog, Heart problems, muscle pain or headaches, loss or taste or smell or would you rather get a safe vaccine. Millions have been given world wide and except for a handful of people who were treated and then were fine there have been no side effects except a sore arm for a day or 2. When you find our how the Vaccine works you'll know that fear of future  of incidents is unfounded

If you are leery look for a reputable site like the CDC or mayo clinic that explains the Vaccine and find out about it. Knowledge is a great fear reducer

To me it's a no brainer. I've done my research and I'll be first in line to get the vaccine. I can't wait to put the fear of this virus behind me.

Edited by Dowling