Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Hammer

Coronavirus

buddy7
22 hours ago, Diana_CT said:

I just got my second dose.

I got there about 15 minutes early for my second vaccination and I was just sitting down and my butt didn’t even touch the chair when they called my name. I got the shot from a student nurse from UConn and then waited the15 minutes. As I was sitting there waiting I looked around and everyone was staring at their smartphones as I was getting mine out to play solitaire. I was thinking that back in the old days we would be staring at the wall and twiddling our thumbs.
Right now I just have a sore arm and the sniffles but I canceled my dentist appointment for tomorrow and my eye doctor's appointment for Thursday just incase I run a fever.

Congrats Diana, Glad to hear you’ve had your second shot, noted you had to wait 15 minutes after the vaccine. BTW what vaccine did you have Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna. My daughter had the Pfizer-BioNTech and she had the same side effects as you, just a little worse, literally turned her over for a couple of days, she had to phone in sick.

That’s the problem with the smartphone technology, irrespective of the age group, everyone has one these days, so, no one has time for a friendly chat any more, hence, why we all stare into our smartphones these days, I’m afraid those old days will never return. I also cancelled my dentist appointment.

I had my first vaccine shot AstraZeneca in mid-January, and I’m still waiting for a letter of confirmation when to go and have my second shot done.

Edited by buddy7

buddy7

Johnson & Johnson

A new single-dose vaccine has shown to be 66% effective against Covid-19 and offered complete protection against hospitalisation and death in trials.

However, there are signs the jab, made by Belgian pharmaceutical firm Janssen, is less effective against the new variant spreading in South Africa.

The Johnson & Johnson-owned Company is looking at whether two doses will give stronger or longer-lasting protection.

It aims to make one billion doses this year.

The UK has ordered 30 million doses, the US 100 million and Canada 38 million.

UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock said if the jab was approved by Britain's Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) it could "significantly bolster" the country's vaccine programme.

Crucially, no one needed hospital treatment or died from coronavirus after the Janssen…. Johnson & Johnson vaccine took effect in the international trial.

Hammer

I always watch Tim pool's podcasts, and find him to be a very good source of information, since he looks at both sides of issues.  Here is a video of one of his podcasts, where he, and his guests, talk about Dr. Fauci.  The first 7-8 minutes are all you need to watch, as after that, they start talking about other topics.  Keep in mind that Tim is a Libertarian, who leans to the left, but he is fair about discussing both sides of the issues.

Dowling

Another case of baloney from someone who is either a denier of Covid or of scientific precautions or is simply not aware of the full facts. He's twisted Dr. Fauci's words to serve his purpose of making (false news as Trump used to say).. Yes DR. Fauci recommends you wear a mask after you are fully vaccinated WHEN YOU ARE AROUND UNVACCINATED PEOPLE. A vaccinated person can carry the virus in their nose. It won't effect the vaccinated person but it may stop them from giving Covid to others. I've never heard him say never to open up the economy but only to recommend doing it safely. That may mean waiting a while until more people are vaccinated and cases and deaths fall but opening up is not his decision. His purpose is to save lives and that's all he's interested in. Governors decide what to do or not do.

If that's who you are getting your info from I think you should diversify and watch other news as well. I never rely on 1 news source. I watch several stations because even if you have an honest broadcaster they can make mistakes. Watching more than 1 channel gives me a broader view of any situation and I can sort through all the info and arrive at the truth

Hammer

Sorry Dowling, but this guy, as well as his guests, are very well informed on world events, and they do tons of research before they make comments like what they said here.  This is NOT fake news, it's actual reporting, and when anyone says that this is fake news, they have obviously been watching fake news, since they have been brainwashed to believe the fake news.  This is not the only news that I watch, I watch other Youtube channels where people report the real news, and not the phony stuff that the mainstream news media throws out at you.  Everything that Tim said in this video was ACTUALLY WHAT Dr. Fauci said.  You can Google it and look it up.  Fauci is just a hack for the government, and only repeats what he hears from other news sources.  He hasn't done any research these days, he just says what others are saying.  He may have been a great doctor in the past, but all he is now is a hack, and the government pays him over $417,000 a year to listen to his rehashed garbage.  Sorry, but I will NEVER believe someone like him.  His motivation is the $417,000 that the government is paying him.

Did you listen to what Tim was saying?  Fauci said to do this, then a month later he said no, instead do this, then he said no, do this, then he said another month later, do this.  How can the average citizen know what to do, when Fauci keeps changing his mind?  Do I need to wear a mask?....do I need to wear two masks?...is one mask enough?...no, I now need to again wear two masks?  People here are getting fed up with his flip-flopping back and forth, and they don't know who or what to believe.  Fauci needs to be fired, and they need to bring in someone who isn't getting $417,000 a year...someone who is up to date on what is happening....someone who is physically involved with the testing and research of this virus, not some old guy who is out of touch with things, and hasn't done research in years.

Dowling

Hammer Dr, Fauci doesn't do research for vaccines. He only reports on what he reads from the companies developing vaccines and reports from the CDC and other government agencies and draws on his vast knowledge of infectious diseases. Has his message changed over the course of this pandemic. Yes it has. You must understand that scientists went into this pandemic blind and knowledge developed as they went along. The information has changed over the year of this pandemic as they learned more and more about this virus. To diss Dr. Fauci for not knowing everything about this virus from the start is like blaming the wright brothers for not knowing how to make a plane the first time they tried.

That may sound like a lot of money and it is to a regular Joe but Dr. Fauci could be making more in the private sector. In fact he's been offered more money to come and work for an Italian infectious disease hospital and I suspect he has had other offers too. A great many people respect him as being the world's leader in infectious diseases even if you don't

don1942

I heard Dr Fauci say that even if you have been fully vaccinated, you should still practice social distancing and continue to wear a mask until more data is developed because there has not been enough data developed to prove that vaccinated people can not get Covid and subsequently spread it to others. He never said that the claimed effectiveness of the vaccines was questionable. He specifically stated that everyone should get the vaccine whenever it becomes available.

Yes, I did listen to what Tim was saying and it sounded like a lot of spin spouted by a major BS artist - statistics don’t lie, but liers use statistics.

Edited by don1942

ran23

I was hoping for the J&J as the local News said was in town.   Got the Pfizer fist dose yesterday. 

halia

Still undecided on whether to get the vaccine or not, Astra Zeneca has been available here for 2 weeks now. I wish you all who took one a safe ride throughout the process.

Dowling

I got my first shot of pfizer vaccine last Thursday. The only side effect was a sore spot where I got the needle. Not sore that it ached but sore to the touch. 2 days later even that was gone.

I had pulled a muscle in my back 2 days before and it was very painful to walk. I was determined that I was not going to miss my chance for the vaccine and I knew I couldn't walk in to get it.  I called an ambulance and went to the hospital emergency around 10 PM. I didn't get home until 6AM but with considerable less pain from the drugs given and able to walk with assistance. I wouldn't go to sleep in case I missed my appointment so I stayed awake. My neighbour took me in, helped me walk in and I got my shot. I was overtired and on drugs so I never slept. I went to bed at 9PM and slept a full 9 hours. My back is still a little sore but getting better as time goes on and I'm elated that I finally got the vaccine.

I know that there is a lot of misinformation and apprehension about the Covid vaccines but I'm confident that my decision to get it is the right one

buddy7
1 hour ago, Dowling said:

I got my first shot of pfizer vaccine last Thursday. The only side effect was a sore spot where I got the needle. Not sore that it ached but sore to the touch. 2 days later even that was gone.

I had pulled a muscle in my back 2 days before and it was very painful to walk. I was determined that I was not going to miss my chance for the vaccine and I knew I couldn't walk in to get it.  I called an ambulance and went to the hospital emergency around 10 PM. I didn't get home until 6AM but with considerable less pain from the drugs given and able to walk with assistance. I wouldn't go to sleep in case I missed my appointment so I stayed awake. My neighbour took me in, helped me walk in and I got my shot. I was overtired and on drugs so I never slept. I went to bed at 9PM and slept a full 9 hours. My back is still a little sore but getting better as time goes on and I'm elated that I finally got the vaccine.

I know that there is a lot of misinformation and apprehension about the Covid vaccines but I'm confident that my decision to get it is the right one

Had my daughter and son-in-law round on Saturday evening, they both had their Pfizer shot at a walk-in clinic last Friday, gruesome pain at the vaccine site overnight, but the next day when they came around, all was fine, aching pain had gone, and both of them seems back to normal.

So please to hear your neighbour helped you to go and get your Pfizer shot, can only hope the back is much better now.

TX_Clint

It has been a week since my second Pfizer shot. The first shot was a nothing burger but the second one was very painful at the injection site for about 36 hrs.. I don't know if that was due to the shot or the shot administrators technique. All is fine now.

Diana_CT

I have been asked by my Endo to do a Zoom meeting for the hospital about my experience in getting the shot.

And a second member of our family has COVID-19, my grandnephew got it at college.

halia

I hope all is well with you Dowling, still another dose after 21 days. Goodluck.

buddy7

Had my second dose of AstraZeneca vaccine today so far all seems well. the AstraZeneca has been having some bad press of late owing to blood clotting, the UK are once again left with a raft of questions over the safety of AstraZeneca's coronavirus vaccine after health chiefs today recommended it should not be given to under-30s because of its link to potentially deadly blood clots. The government advisory panel says healthy people aged 18 to 29 be offered either Pfizer or Moderna's vaccine instead when the programme moves to younger groups in the coming months. The Government, opposition politicians and medical experts tonight rushed to big-up confidence in AstraZeneca's vaccine, insisting that it was safe and the benefits far outweighed any risks for the vast majority. The National tabloids answer all of your questions about AstraZeneca's jabs, revealing why it is safe for you to still get your second dose which I’ve had today, once in the mind I boggle with it for some time. But looking on the bright side, the Nurse who gave me the shot today, gave us her assurances all will be OK.