Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Hammer

Coronavirus

Diana_CT
1 hour ago, Hammer said:

D.W. Sutherland?  I wonder if he was related to Donald Sutherland, the actor?😊

From Wikipedia 

Sutherland was born in Saint John, New Brunswick, the son of Dorothy Isobel (née McNichol; 1892–1956) and Frederick McLea Sutherland (1894–1983), who worked in sales and ran the local gas, electricity and bus company

Maybe a relative. 

dowling gram

Donald Sutherland is Canadian born and lived for the most part in Canada although he did spend some time in the USA. He was married to Shirley Douglas who's father Tommy Douglas was a Politician in Canada. Tommy Douglas is known in Canada as the Politician who is the father of our health care system and is revered in Canada.

dowling gram

There is hope that this virus can be reduced to a whimper. Scientists around the world have been working on treatments and vaccines for corinavirus ever since the SARS epidemic. SARS was a coronavirus too but not as deadly as Covid19

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/there-is-hope-potential-covid-19-treatment-being-tested-on-200-patients-next-week-1.4882378

adiantum

A great deal of planning mustve been taken by the photographer of this photo.

This ship is the centre of an investigation after thousands of passengers disembarked last month .

12 deaths & over 600 cases of coronavrus have been linked to this ship.

Its crew is of 1,040 with one fifth exhibiting coronav symptoms.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-06/coronavirus-cruise-ship-ruby-princess-docks-in-australia-in-nsw/12124398

The Ruby Princess is seen in the background, a cemetery is seen in the foreground.

adiantum

Someone must be concerned the economy will be so greatly affected  that theyre  increasing their security.

Locksmiths are overwhelmed with the new demands for cameras & deadlocks.

We have an excellent police force to take care of looters.

It's the High Court of Australia that I have no respect for when they can overturn a jury's guilty verdict .

buddy7

adiantum             Posted 2 hours ago

Someone must be concerned the economy will be so greatly affected

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Governments around the world have pledged financial support for all business impacted by the coronavirus, once the virus is all over, I kid you not, this money has to be paid back. I see inflation and recession on the horizon, and no one else but the Taxpayer has to pay back all this money borrowed to prop-up the coronavirus. You most likely will see interest rate rises, from all government, an increase to groceries in the shops i.e. clothing and the list goes on, even all smaller inessential things, even your energy bills. Global markets and businesses not recovering probably as anticipated.

I could see the coronavirus crisis may lead to a new way of economic thinking, fewer jobs and businesses.

adiantum

Buddy,

I counsel you to refrain from  quoting me in your  posts when you know I hold you in contempt.
It has nothing to do with your conversation , you are simply doing it for notoriety. 
At no time have you contributed to a supportive cohesive  community, when in fact it's the opposite and you have caused angst.
Put an end to this nonsense buddy or I will tell you what I really think of you.

Hammer

My friend, the woman that I'm getting 4 cases of booze for, is a first responder.  She told me that her workplace is restricting her access to PPE (personal protective equipment), since it's in short supply.  I told her that, years ago, I ordered some dust masks that I use when cutting my grass, since I get a lot of dust and dead grass flying around, and without wearing a mask, the dust makes me choke.  I've been wearing these masks for years now, which is why I ordered some of them to have on hand.  I never looked until now, but those masks have an N95 rating, meaning that they are good to use for this coronavirus.  I told my friend that she is more than welcome to have a 2 pack of them.  They come 2 in a pack, and I have one opened pack that I am using, and one unopened pack, so I'll give her the unopened pack when I see her to drop off the liquor that I got for her.  Because of the demand, these masks are no longer available, so I guess it pays to buy extra of things, which I always do.

buddy7

The coronavirus (Pandemic) has now spread to nearly every country in the world since it first emerged in China at the beginning of the year. More than 1,441,000 people are known to be infected and more than 82,000 deaths have been recorded - including 7,095 in the UK.

When the coronavirus first began we all were led to believe, it was a disease only for the age 70 plus, the facts today gives us different readings, it is now known today the disease can now be infected by all ages. However in the US the coronavirus seems to have infected younger people, we in the UK have a similar problem as like the US, where most aged people died at the onset of the disease, and of late we tend to be getting a younger age group who has now been infected with the disease. A five-year-old child became the youngest person in the UK to die after contracting coronavirus, in the same breath, a young Brazilian mother, Doctors save the baby, but the mother dies after medics were forced to perform an emergency caesarean on a 33-week pregnant woman with coronavirus.

I’m in complete disarray to say the least, why the scientist-led us to believe in the first place, the disease was only for the aged population? On hindsight now this was utter rubbish, couldn’t they be more accurate where lives hinge on their decision? Shall we put that down to the fact the scientist were dealing with the unknown? 😒

don1942

Toilet paper shortage explained.

Empty TP shelves are not primarily a result of hoarding. Instead, it is a result of Covid-19 restrictions. In particular, the shelter at home request is the major cause of the shortage. 

When everyone was going out and about to work, school, shopping, and public buildings, they were crapping 40% of the time in these public places and using “commercial grade” TP which for the most part is single ply recycled paper. Under shelter at home guidelines, these people are now crapping at home and using “residential grade” TP, which is softer and often quilted for additional comfort.

The manufacturers and supply chain of these two grades of TP are not interchangeable which results in an increase in demand for residential TP and reduced demand for commercial TP resulting in a shortage of residential TP and over supply of commercial TP. Unfortunately, it is not financially practical to switch manufacturing from commercial Grade to residential grade and then switch back again six months down the road.

Stay healthy and wipe on.

Hammer

Buddy, I think that there are a number of things that the scientists don't know about COVID-19 yet, and that might be the reason why the information that they are giving us, is constantly changing as they learn more about the virus.  I can't help but feel that the reason that some people die from it, and some people don't, is due to the present condition of their health.  Some people can get it, and their body's have the ability to fight it off, so they recover, whereas someone else might get and their body can't fight it off, so they die from it.  As we age, our body doesn't have the same strong immune system that we had when we were young, so older people are more susceptible to dying from it.

I liken it to hay fever....some people aren't bothered by the high pollen count during hay fever season, whereas others are miserable during that time.  Myself, hay fever is not a problem for me.  There have been years where the pollen count was very high, and when I was out mowing my lawn, I could feel the pollen in my lungs.  It's hard to describe, but it was kinda like a heaviness in my lungs when I tried to breath, but it never bothered me, whereas a friend of mine suffers with hay fever the whole time.  It's all a matter of each person's biological makeup, and I think that's one component of why the COVID -19 virus is affecting people in different ways.

Hammer
34 minutes ago, don1942 said:

Toilet paper shortage explained.

Empty TP shelves are not primarily a result of hoarding. Instead, it is a result of Covid-19 restrictions. In particular, the shelter at home request is the major cause of the shortage. 

When everyone was going out and about to work, school, shopping, and public buildings, they were crapping 40% of the time in these public places and using “commercial grade” TP which for the most part is single ply recycled paper. Under shelter at home guidelines, these people are now crapping at home and using “residential grade” TP, which is softer and often quilted for additional comfort.

While I can agree with that to some extent, that doesn't explain a few other things.  Before the coronavirus, when I went to the grocery store, the toilet paper aisle had loads of toilet paper.  If people were crapping away from home 40% of the time, then that should result in there being 40% less toilet paper in the stores these days, but it's not.  If everybody bought twice as much toilet paper as they regularly use since they are home now, (which would mean they would be using 50% more toilet paper) then the store shelves should be 50% emptier, but they are 100% emptier.  It doesn't add up.

Then, if that 40% statistic is accurate, then why are the shelves empty of paper towels and facial tissues?  Do people use 40% more Kleenex and paper towels when they are at work?  No, I think a lot of it is due to hoarding, but thanks for that information.  I never thought about it that way.😊

don1942

I have to agree that there is still a hoarding component, Ex: paper towels and sanitizers; however, supermarkets theoretically stock about 110% of historical usage so when demand increases by 40%, there is going to be a shortage.

dowling gram
On 4/7/2020 at 3:57 AM, buddy7 said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Governments around the world have pledged financial support for all business impacted by the coronavirus, once the virus is all over, I kid you not, this money has to be paid back. I see inflation and recession on the horizon, and no one else but the Taxpayer has to pay back all this money borrowed to prop-up the coronavirus. You most likely will see interest rate rises, from all government, an increase to groceries in the shops i.e. clothing and the list goes on, even all smaller inessential things, even your energy bills. Global markets and businesses not recovering probably as anticipated.

I could see the coronavirus crisis may lead to a new way of economic thinking, fewer jobs and businesses.

Buddy you are right. Governments are borrowing and increasing their deficits and putting their countries deeper in debt and it will have to be paid at sometime and that debt has to be serviced which means paying interest.

On the other hand people have to live and the only way to beat this virus is social distancing and staying at home. Therefore the debt has to be incurred to allow people to do just that. Some businesses will fold but others will hang on but it will take a while for them to get solvent so some people will lose jobs.

I don't think you'll see interest rates rise that much because countries want to see the economy restored and high interest rates are not what a growing economy needs. There will likely be a global recession though and it will be a while before the economy booms again.

Edited by dowling gram

meyery2k

I wonder if we might even see a period of deflation for a time.  Especially if oil stays low.

dowling gram
5 hours ago, meyery2k said:

I wonder if we might even see a period of deflation for a time.  Especially if oil stays low.

Some governments have already deflated prices for essential services to keep people at home. I know they have in Canada. I expect they will go back to normal after this is over. Economists say there will be a global recession and some say there might even be a depression. China will be the winner in this. They are getting their economy rolling now while the rest of us struggle.

I don't know what the price of oil has to do with it but I don't think the Arabian countries care about other countries and they control the price of oil.

buddy7

A bit more about Arabian countries: in our National tabloids today.

Can the Arab World Cope with the Coronavirus? They are completely in denial!

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: The coronavirus pandemic caught the Western world unprepared despite all the technology and medical advances available in those countries. What about Iran and the Arab world? How are they coping? These dictatorial states know how to control their populations and suppress both information and unrest, but appear for the most part to have no idea how to fight an invisible virus.

Just as Italy is the source of much of the spread of the virus in the Western world, Iran has been the source of most of the infections in the Arab world. Almost every single case in Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon originated in Iran.

The Iranian regime has no idea how to contain the epidemic. The country has dealt with earthquakes, wars, and revolutions, but is finding it impossible to cope with the rapid spread of the coronavirus.

Some Arab countries simply deny the existence of the virus. Dozens of people have returned infected to Cairo on flights from the US and Europe, but the Egyptian government continues to insist that there are no coronavirus cases in the country, classifying anyone with symptoms as suffering from “normal influenza.” Egypt has yet to cancel flights arriving from China, unlike most countries of the world. Even after the Egyptian health minister travelled to China to learn about the new virus, deaths linked to it continued to be defined as lung infections.

buddy7

As the death toll still on the up in the UK to date now stands at 8,931 deaths, reading through the National  tabloids this morning, noted a rather confusing article by my standards, a Cambridge University research which mapped out how the coronavirus has now splintered itself into 3 categories A, B & C. Brings me back to Hammer’s post,

“Buddy, I think that there are a number of things that the scientists don't know about COVID-19 yet, and that might be the reason why the information that they are giving us, is constantly changing as they learn more about the virus”.

What I can’t figure out how the scientist arrived at this new report now, it baffles me, can someone please explain? How the coronavirus can spur itself off as 3 genetic variants strains? I’m still grappling with the Universities knowledge on the subject, how the virus jumps from city to city when the spread actually began in China, which has now become common knowledge, why we’re in this dreadful dire Global situation today.

Cambridge University researchers mapped the genetic history of coronavirus from December to March and found three distinct, but closely related, variants. Analysis of the strains showed type A - the original virus that jumped to humans from bats via pangolins - was not China's most common. Instead, the pandemic's ground-zero was mainly hit by type B, which was in circulation as far back as Christmas Eve. Results showed type A was the most prevalent in Australia and the US, while the UK was mostly being bombarded with type B cases. Another distinct variation, type C, descended from type B and spread to Europe via Singapore. Scientists believe the virus - officially called SARS-CoV-2 - is constantly mutating to overcome immune system resistance in different populations.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Edited by buddy7

TX_Clint

Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen are the only Arab countries. Algeria, the Comoros Islands, Djibouti, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Somalia, Sudan, and Tunisia are considered Arab countries by the West primarily but aren't. Iran and Malaysia certainly aren't. What you are referring to are Islamic Nations. 

You are correct in that Iran is the primary source of infection in the middle east. Want to take one guess where Iran got the virus from? It does appear that Iran may be on the decline of number of new cases. That's if the data is real.

TX_Clint
1 hour ago, ran23 said:

without throwing a big wrench into this, has anyone read about 'virus and G5'?   

You are joking. Right?

dowling gram
2 hours ago, ran23 said:

without throwing a big wrench into this, has anyone read about 'virus and G5'?   

That's garbage made up by idiots and only the gullible will believe it