Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Emma

Newly diagnosed - 19yr old Type 2

adiantum

CareSens is my favourite brand.

I've taken it to the pathologists when I get my A1c done & there actual bg at the time is the same as my meter reads.

Dowling

Emma--You mentioned that you and your husband would be eating the same as your son. There are ways to get around that if either of you have favorite meals. For instance--When my son was home I made Lasagna for them--it;s a favorite of theirs. I use maranara sauce and spiral zuchini for mine. I have small containers that I spoon the extra marinara in and freeze. I made the meat part as usual and spooned my portion into a bowl and continued on making the lasagna as usual and since I was making it ahead of time I froze both and thawed before dinner. At dinnertime I spiralized my zuchini and put it in a small frying pan, cooked it for 1 minute (any longer and it releases too much water), added my meat portion and a couple of tablespoons of marinara sauce, cooked until just heated then put grated cheese on top and slid it onto my plate. It was delicious. I look for ways to have what I like and still keep to low carb. It just takes thinking outside the box.

If he likes wraps then look for low carb ones. It does take some searching. Just remind him that they are to be used sparingly.

adiantum

@Emma, a spoonful of peanut butter is another quick snack idea.

some brands have more carbs then others  but he can go to the lower brands later when he's reducing carbs further.

Emma

Thanks for the handy food tips! Hmmm....I wonder how sneaky I could be with a lasagne made without pasta and something vege instead like grilled zucchini or long grilled cheese strips? Might have to try that later down the track or test on my husband first. 

Dowling
13 hours ago, Emma said:

Thanks for the handy food tips! Hmmm....I wonder how sneaky I could be with a lasagne made without pasta and something vege instead like grilled zucchini or long grilled cheese strips? Might have to try that later down the track or test on my husband first. 

Zucchini releases too much water when grilled. It softens fast with very little heat so If you use it cook it in a frying pan for only a minute or so. It does not have a strong flavor and takes on the flavor of whatever you cook with it.

If you want to try a vegetable Lasagna use egg plant. In fact you can find recipes for egg plant lasagna on line and it is very good.