Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Cat2020

New to the forum, question please....

Cat2020

Hello,

Yesterday my mother was diagnosed as being diabetic.  Her Hemoglobin A1C is 6.5 %  We're in this together as a family so we're eliminating anything that could case problems for her and stopping any bad habits. One of the many concerns she has is that she loves Savory Thin rice crackers.  I've gone on Facebook (no answer) and online but all they talk about are rice cakes - not crackers.  Can she safely eat these? Thank you to anyone who can answer this!

NUTRITION

• Serving Size: 37 crackers(30g)
  • Amount per ServingMy Daily Value
  • Calories130Kcal8%
  • Total Fat2.5g4%
  • Saturated Fat0g0%
  • Trans Fat0g0%
  • Cholesterol0mg0%
  • Sodium115mg5%
  • Potassium0mg0%
  • Total Carbohydrate24g10%
  • Dietary Fiber1g4%
  • Sugars0g0%
  • Added Sugars0g0%
  • Protein3g6%
  • Vitamin A0IU0%
  • Vitamin C0mg0%
  • Calcium40mg4%
  • Iron0.72mg4%

meyery2k

@Cat2020 - Welcome!

Many of us here, including me, have found the best way to live with diabetes is to limit the amount of carbs we consume.  Especially simple starches like, bread, pasta, grains, and rice.

Many of us strive for less than 50g of carbs a day total.  Many of those carbs are from non-root vegetables and nuts.  Complex carbs are better than simple carbs.  If your Mom is just starting on diet modification, start at 100g of carbs a day and see how that goes.  As much as you can, keep those carbs complex.  Sugar, rice, pasta, grains, wheat flour don't help.

That being said, everyone is a little different, and can tolerate carbs better, or worse, than others.  Rice, for me, is never good.  The way to figure this out is to eat to your meter.  Have your Mom take a reading right before eating rice cakes.  Note that down.  Test again after 2 hours.  If the reading is close to where it started, then it is probably ok.  Do this a few times to be sure.  If the reading stays high, try less rice crackers and see what happens.  There may be a happy medium.

An alternative to rice crackers might be cheese crackers.  

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/parmesan-crisps-2

6.5 is not too horrible.  With a little discipline and out of box thinking, your Mom may discover this is fairly manageable.  Many of us here use diet and exercise alone (under a doctor's supervision).  Some people need medicine to help.  Whatever the course, we ALL find that limiting carbs and exercise are the biggest things we can do that will help us.  For the exercise, just set aside some time and walk or perform some other activity.  Moving muscles burns glucose.

Diet changes are scary.  I remember being depressed when I realized pizza (crust) was not going to work until I figured out that I like the toppings just fine.  I eliminate the crust and enjoy pizza. There are crusts that can be made with cauliflower but, truth be told, I am too lazy for that.  I just get a slice of salami, put topping on it and microwave or broil until done.

If you have any questions, ask them.  The only bad question is the unasked one. ~ Mike