Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Jm27

New to diabetes. Overwhelmed

Jm27

I started feeling thirsty all the time three weeks ago. However I was having gum issues and the dentist had gave me a prescription mouthwash that had the side effect of dr mouth so I disregard it. About a week ago I began feeling fatigued and falling asleep early. I attributed that to work and corona stress. Three days ago I called my doctor as the weakness was increased substantially. He ordered labs. I went the next day and immediately upon walking through the door the doctor was on phone telling me to drive to er. Blood sugar was 650. A1c 11.8%.  Bam.....keto acidosis.  They are calling it type 1.  I am sitting in hospital now as they figure out doses.  I am 55. Wouldn’t type 1 have shown up when I was younger?  Is there anyway to determine type. How likely are people to mess up dosing when new. Any insight helpful. Also gum issue been happening two months does that sound like an effect 

Edited by Jm27
Another question

adiantum

Welcome to the forum Jm27.  

Type 1 used to be known as juveniles diabetes but we have a member here that was 74 when diagnosed T1.

The gum issue could be D related as the blood doesnt circulate so freely in those with uncontrolled blood glucose levels. 

Lets hope it clears up  when your BG levels come down.

The only problem ive read of people messing up with insulin is injecting one when it shouldve been the other,which they usually just ride it out.  

My A1c was also 11 at diagnosis & I used to feel dreadful so you mustve been feeling really bad .

You will feel much better when that comes down , but be sure to test before you drive a car.

Dont be overwhelmed as it will become clearer in a short time.

The hospitals food is usually too high in carbohydrates to what we prefer but we can address that later on.

Jm27

Three different insulin’s. Counting carbs etc.  But Never want to go to icu again. Too many IVs., electrolytes fatigue etc.  They are monitoring my carbs fairly well. Couldn’t seem to get bg under 350 regardless of insulin but finally something worked.  Hoping to go home Monday. Initial reaction pure depression but getting used to idea. Thanks for answering 

Jm27

Ironically my last dog had diabetes and on insulin but he ended up going blind. Feel bad I put him through it😢

adiantum

It doesnt feel right when we lose control of our  body but insulin will soon have you  feeling right again.

Dont beat yourself up over the dog, we are not expected to know everything & hey...dogs are the nicest "people" & would  forgive you for anything.

I'm wondering if my dog has it or insulin resistance as he packs on the weight easily.

I hope your in a private hospital as the food is offensive in the public system here .

Hammer

Jim, three insulins?  There is no reason to be taking three different insulins.  I take two, which is all they should be giving you.  Do you know what those insulins are that they are giving you?  I take Lantus, which is a basal insulin, meaning that it only lowers your fasting glucose levels, and it has no effect on your after meal spikes that arise from eating carbs, as well as protein.  My bolus insulin is Novolog, which I take before eating a meal to keep my after meal spikes from rising too much.

I am a type 2 diabetic, who uses insulin, so I know how to determine how much insulin that I need to take, but you are a type 1, and a type 1 has totally different needs than a type 2 does, so I can't help you with the doses.  Maybe someone here who is a type 1 can help you once you get out of the hospital.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what this forum is here for....to try and help each other.

Jm27

I don’t know the names as I am still in hospital but one is a 24 hour one is an 8 hour and one is a 2 hour. I’m not even sure myself yet the main difference between T1 and T2 and T1.5.   Feeling better though. Numbers are finally lining up

Hammer
2 hours ago, Jm27 said:

I don’t know the names as I am still in hospital but one is a 24 hour one is an 8 hour and one is a 2 hour. I’m not even sure myself yet the main difference between T1 and T2 and T1.5.   Feeling better though. Numbers are finally lining up

JM27, the 24 hour insulin is either Lantus or Levemir.  The 2 hour insulin is either Novolog or Humalog.  There is no such thing as an 8 hour insulin, so I can't help but wonder what it is, or why they would give it to you, if it even exists?  The 24 hour insulin lowers your fasting glucose levels, and the 2 hour insulin lowers your after meal spikes, so I can't help but wonder what this 8 hour insulin is good for?  When you get a chance, ask the nurse or doctor what the name of the insulins are.  It's your body, so they should tell you what they are giving you.  If they won't tell you, then you need to ask for another doctor or nurse.

Jm27

Yes I know I have to advocate for myself.    I will be seeing an endo after I am out of hospital and need to compile questions.  I am good at advocating for others but not so much myself. Guess that has gotta change 

don1942
14 hours ago, Jm27 said:

Ironically my last dog had diabetes and on insulin but he ended up going blind. Feel bad I put him through it😢

You didn’t put your dog through anything. My dog suffered for over a year with diabetes and went blind. We shot up together before meals and once I had to fish him out of the pool after leaving him to go outside to relieve himself. He remained happy and playful up until the last few weeks. I look at it as allowing him to live an extra year.

meyery2k

Welcome!  I had skin problems when I was diagnosed and my gum health wasn't so great either.  Bacteria love the extra glucose.  If you keep that under control, then many other problems seem to get better as well.

I am sure you wouldn't have made your dog suffer needlessly.  I am certain he was happy to have the time to spend with you.

You definitely want to find out the type of diabetes since the strategy for control is a bit different for each type.  ~ Mike

Jm27

My gums are already starting to feel better.  And no I would never have needlessly caused my dog to suffer   He was like my child but in his last year he did go into keto acidosis twice

Jm27

Thanks everyone. Information is appreciated at this point and I am starting to wrap my head around it so it seems less scary

Islagolli

Nice information. It will be useful to everyone who are searching for the info.