Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Loren S

Question about potentially being diabetic?

Loren S

Hi everyone I'm new here. Alittle bit me...I'm 43yrs old in great physical shape and do weightlifting 4 days per week. Here is where it gets Alittle dicey. I am a competitive eater for a living, meaning 1 day per week i do huge calorie challenges(10,000 plus calories) for that one whole day. Last a1c(friday) is a 4.9. My fbg & post prenatal range anywhere from 80's to 120's but the day I have contests post prenatals get as high as 185 and the next day fbg testing is in the 110-120ish range. From what I understand these readings are prediabetic-diabetic numbers. My question is this just because the amount of processed food consumed for that one day?

adiantum

Hi Loren, I dont have the answer for you I just thought I'd say a quick hi so you dont feel as if talking to a wall.

Others will be along later.

I think it's good that your getting that A1c checked although it just takes an average of what's been happening over the past 3 months.

I think you mean post prandials which means after a meal.

C an you check your glucose for the next 3 days after such feasting instead of just the following day?

Loren S

Yes I can & will. Thanks for the reply!!!!

meyery2k

@Loren S - I would test over several days.  Test fasting.  Test before eating.  Test 2 hours after eating.  Log results.  Measuring on a contest day is a one of a kind event.  It would be better for you to see what the overall trend would be. ~ Mike

halia

Is there any way to test if you are pre-diabetic without using needles? I feel like I am near pre-diabetic...

meyery2k

Unfortunately, for now, a small sample of blood is needed which requires a pin prick.  The OneTouch delica lancets and lancet tool are the least painful for me.  It can be set from 1-5 which is how hard the lancet will punch.  Testing the side of a finger is also less painful.  Walmart has a Relion Prime meter and the Prime strip which are among the cheaper you will find.  The Relion lancet tool, however, is horrible.  Punches very hard.

Dowling
21 hours ago, halia said:

Is there any way to test if you are pre-diabetic without using needles? I feel like I am near pre-diabetic...

No You need blood to measure the amount of Glucose in blood. The best way to find out if you are prediabetic is to have a HBA1C blood test done at a lab. Talk to your doctor or buy an A1C kit. A finger prick only gives you what your glucose is at a moment in time. An A1C test gives you what your glucose has been over the last 2 to 3 months

adiantum

@halia perhaps now is a good time to look at your diet while your  waiting for the diagnosis.

What symptoms are you experiencing that has you suspecting pre diabetes?

Start by asking  google for the carb count of your regular foods & those you might have to include.

I suggest at this stage to limit your daily carb count to 100g a day.

Foods high in carbs which we avoid include rice,pasta, bread & flour products, root vegetables ,fruit & sugary sweets.

Good foods include green leafy vegetables, eggs, cheese, nuts, fish or meat.

Look through our recipe section or google low carb recipes of your choice.

Keep in touch with us as we will help you all we can.

halia

@meyery2kI see, thank you for those possible options, I'll try to research them too hehe.

@adiantumMy wounds are healing slowlier compare to last year, I cut my ingrown toenails regularly and it grows really fast (not sure if this has anything to do with diabetes but I read this https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ingrown-toenails/symptoms-causes/syc-20355903) and it's really slow in healing. So it's getting annoying because when it fully heals, another ingrown toenail grows back. 

And yes, I started watching my diet 7 months ago, not eating too much carb, a small amount of rice, eating lots of veggies. I really hope I don't get diabetes. It's too much for me to be my problem.

adiantum

Slow healing is a concern especially with feet. They are the lowest extremity for blood circulation & healing can be a challenge if blood is simply thick & sticky, so keeping blood glucose under control is our aim.

Can you look into getting a blood glucose test kit? Testing blood glucose isnt like watching a needle, the lancet is within casing & release by a spring mechanism. Google blood glucose testing on youtube where there are several examples.

If your in the US Walmart has cheaper meters & test strips available over the counter.

To use, wash your hands, test before a meal..test 2hrs later.. & strive to keep the reading below 7 or 125 at this stage.. lowering as you get used to it.

To keep blood flowing freely it needs a low carb nutrition regime as well as exercise. Keeping active is desirable , not that you have to join a gym. 

Walking, swimming, sports,cycling, dancing, serious yardwork etc , just find where your comfortable & then push yourself just a bit further.

Post here often as theres enough of us that  are here to help you with any questions or suggestions.

You will notice a saying here of YMMV your milage may vary. That means some of us can cope with small portions of food others cannot.

The meter will be your guide to what you should avoid.

I cant tolerate rice, not even a tablespoon of it. Root vegetables are higher carb, like potatoes, onion, carrot, turnip, sweet potato etc .

Fruit & juices are very high carb although I can tolerate 1/2 cup of strawberries.

I'm glad your taking this serious as the potential is .....undesirable.

Dont feel bad if you are diabetic as we can still have an awesome life & the foods are great.

It can be the best diagnosis we could get as it makes up look after ourselves.

I used to have slow healing  & a foggy brain...now it feels great knowing what the cause was & I dont get it anymore.

meyery2k

You can also get at home a1C tests.  The a1C might be a better initial test for you since it provides an idea of overall glucose average over time rather than just a snap shot.  CVS sells them for something like 2 for $40.  They always have coupons and stuff so you can shop wisely.  You will still need lancets and a lancing tool.  

You can also ask your doctor.  My PCP was able to do a1C in the office rather than the lab so I would know what it was during my visit.