Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

IsoldeC

IsoldeC

Hi, everyone. My name is Isolde. I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes last February and have been learning more about this as I go. I'm looking forward to learning more here and hope everyone has a great week.

adiantum

Hi  Isolde, this is a lovely friendly community which will have you feeling welcome & one of us straight away.

Did you get a blood glucose meter & test strips or hasnt that happened yet?

Testing your blood glucose before & 2 hours after a meal will tell you what foods you can tolerate & those you cant.

Soon you will get to know which meals are kind to you  & just test after you have tried something new.

Keep the readings under 126 at first  which leaves you time to tweak your nutrition & exercise regime as time goes on.

Are you on medications or just diet & exercise as a control?

Foods we cant tolerate are grains,flour products, fruit & juices. 

On the good food list is leafy green veges, eggs, cheese, nuts, peanut butter, fish,meat etc.

I hope you post often as sharing experiences is a good learning tool for all of us.

~ Lee

Hammer

Hi IsoldeC and welcome to the forums.  As Lee said, this is a friendly group of people, and we want to help each other as much as possible.  We have people here who have been diabetic for 50 years or more, as well as people newly diagnosed.  We have people from all over the world here, so this forum is a wealth of knowledge.  Please feel free to ask any questions you have, as that is what this forum is here for.

meyery2k

Hi Isolde and welcome!

You can learn a lot here.  Check out the posts and ask any question you would like to ask. ~ Mike

IsoldeC
On 6/8/2020 at 9:40 PM, adiantum said:

Hi  Isolde, this is a lovely friendly community which will have you feeling welcome & one of us straight away.

Did you get a blood glucose meter & test strips or hasnt that happened yet?

Testing your blood glucose before & 2 hours after a meal will tell you what foods you can tolerate & those you cant.

Soon you will get to know which meals are kind to you  & just test after you have tried something new.

Keep the readings under 126 at first  which leaves you time to tweak your nutrition & exercise regime as time goes on.

Are you on medications or just diet & exercise as a control?

Foods we cant tolerate are grains,flour products, fruit & juices. 

On the good food list is leafy green veges, eggs, cheese, nuts, peanut butter, fish,meat etc.

I hope you post often as sharing experiences is a good learning tool for all of us.

~ Lee

I got a glucose meter and strips pretty soon after I got the diagnosis. I'm not as consistent with testing as I need to be. My initial diagnosis was with an a1c of 6.2 and fasting blood glucose of 110. I've been able to lower the a1c a bit since then, down to 5.8. No medications. I've been trying to start with just watching what I eat at the moment, focusing on low carb (although I've really fallen off the wagon with that over the last three months 😣), and am figuring out what I want to do exercise wise. I do appreciate having communities and resources like this to learn from.

adiantum

Kudos to you for addressing it in the early stages, this could be an ideal  permanent control method.

I've been med free for 12 years although thats because I've an allergy to the 2 meds Ive tried.

I'm not into exercise so depend upon walking & yardwork to be my contribution.

Walking is actually very good.

What keeps me honest is posting my fasting readings in the 2020 Morning FBG thread. 

Its a reminder to me that I have D & to start the day right.

Have a look at it & see if it would suit you. Its not a competition nor is it judgemental, its just a personal regime or activity.

https://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/topic/81197-2020-morning-fbg-readings/?page=58&tab=comments#comment-1031748

3 hours ago, IsoldeC said:

I got a glucose meter and strips pretty soon after I got the diagnosis. I'm not as consistent with testing as I need to be. My initial diagnosis was with an a1c of 6.2 and fasting blood glucose of 110. I've been able to lower the a1c a bit since then, down to 5.8. No medications. I've been trying to start with just watching what I eat at the moment, focusing on low carb (although I've really fallen off the wagon with that over the last three months 😣), and am figuring out what I want to do exercise wise. I do appreciate having communities and resources like this to learn from.

Edited by adiantum

Dowling
9 hours ago, IsoldeC said:

Hi and welcome

Have a look at the keto diet. It is pretty much like ours. I've found that the occasional slip is ok as long as it is only once and far between and you usually keep a LCHF diet. Diet is the most important thing to lower your numbers. Medications do help if needed but if you can lower your blood glucose without them it's even better. Just find food that you enjoy and can stick with long term.

I do think that if you keep a low carb high fat diet for a month or so you soon lose that desire for carbs. You must add that high fat component for energy when you go low carb. It not only fills you up but it is what your body substitutes for glucose for energy to keep you going. It's a fallacy that fat makes you fat. It's carbs that make you fat.

The best exercise is walking and I do that occasionally but most of my exercise is gardening in summer and snow shoveling in winter. Exercise need not  be in a gym and it doesn't have to be what you normally think of when you think exercise. Anything that gets you moving is exercise. Find out what you like to do and can stick with even if it's putting on music and dancing. The thing is that just like your diet it's best to find something you enjoy doing so you can stick with it long term