Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ran23

Amazon practices

ran23

Amazon is great for the reviews and my Prime TV Stick.  But how can sellers not list their products out of the country?   Ebay has to list where the seller is. I ordered Face Masks from Amazon, does not show shipped.  Says it may be lost.  Seller insists it is shipped.  (small orders)   Am I missing something on these orders?   I may just stop using Amazon for anything.  

Dowling

Amazon has always been pretty good about giving me a refund if a shipment goes awry or is damaged. You should be able to find out the company by clicking on the sellers line or feedback. I have prime and I usually buy only when it is listed as prime but I have bought from other companies but I always check out the sellers first. I was stung once by buying from China so I avoid any company that is not North American unless it's listed as prime. If it's prime and in stock I know it's in Amazon's warehouse.

Has the money been taken from your bank account? If not then you've lost nothing but your time. If it has been paid out.wait 3 weeks from the day it was paid then call amazon customer service, state the facts and demand a refund. The thing is that you bought from Amazon and they should give you a refund and default the seller. They have allowed the seller to sell on their site so it's their responsibility

Hammer

Ran, I agree, sellers, no matter who they are, should be required to tell the buyer where the product is made.  At one time, they did that, then, years later they would just say that the product is "imported".  Now, they don't tell you anything.

Amazon is really good about refunding your money, so I trust them.  I ordered a case for a cell phone, but when I got the shipping envelope, it had never been sealed, so one end was left open and there was nothing inside.  I contacted Amazon, and they refunded my money.

Hammer

Ran, this is why I wish that they still listed where the product was made.  The last few items that I ordered, were made  in China, but I didn't know that until it shipped, and it said it was shipped from a location in China.  Every time it comes from China, expect it to take at least 30 days to arrive.

Dowling
22 hours ago, Hammer said:

Ran, this is why I wish that they still listed where the product was made.  The last few items that I ordered, were made  in China, but I didn't know that until it shipped, and it said it was shipped from a location in China.  Every time it comes from China, expect it to take at least 30 days to arrive.

Hammer getting an item from china is not an option for me which is why I only buy items listed as prime and is in stock now or if it lists the seller and I know it is in North America. Chinese items are often flimsy and poorly made. Often you get the wrong item or it does not meet with North American standards. 2 orders  orders I got from China were silicon candy molds when I had ordered a silicone baking mat and knitting needles that were not sized for the North American market and therefore useless. Both times I got a refund and free return shipping.

With all the companies on line who have free shipping there is no need to order any other way. Recently I made an order with Home Depot and got free shipping and you could never do that before. More and more stores are tapping into the lucrative on line market so check others out before you order. It benefits the store by cutting down on overhead and the customer with convenience. I predict it will be the wave of the future

Hammer
44 minutes ago, Dowling said:

Hammer getting an item from china is not an option for me which is why I only buy items listed as prime and is in stock now or if it lists the seller and I know it is in North America. Chinese items are often flimsy and poorly made. Often you get the wrong item or it does not meet with North American standards. 2 orders  orders I got from China were silicon candy molds when I had ordered a silicone baking mat and knitting needles that were not sized for the North American market and therefore useless. Both times I got a refund and free return shipping.

With all the companies on line who have free shipping there is no need to order any other way. Recently I made an order with Home Depot and got free shipping and you could never do that before. More and more stores are tapping into the lucrative on line market so check others out before you order. It benefits the store by cutting down on overhead and the customer with convenience. I predict it will be the wave of the future

Dowling, I agree 100%.  If it's made in China, you know it's junk.  I have yet to see ANYTHING that's made in China to be of good quality.  Where the quality of China's products are today, is where the Japanese products were back in the 50's and 60's.  The Japanese slowly began to improve the quality of their products until they now make excellent quality products.  As the Japanese improved the quality of their products, the price of those products began to rise.  I think the same will eventually happen to the Chinese made products, but until that happens, I try to avoid buying anything that's made in China. 

The problem is, I'll see a product that no one else has, and it's something that I can really use, but the ad doesn't mention where it's made.  I'll search around to see if someone else makes a similar product, but most times there isn't, so I'll order the product, then after it's shipped, I'll find out that it's made in China.

meyery2k

In general, I have to agree that many products manufactured in China are of inferior quality and usually priced so.  If I buy with that expectation, then I am not disappointed.  The item fails, I exclaim, "Cheap Chinese crap!", my daughter clucks at me not to say Chinese, and into the trash can it goes.

One surprising exception is my wrist GPS.  When I ride, I wanted a wrist GPS that could also store my riding data.  Garmin and Wahoo products, while excellent, cost far more than I wanted to pay.  I can use my phone but the battery will drain and the phone is more useful as a phone in an emergency rather than as a GPS.  Fitbit, while fairly inexpensive, connects to the phone and uses the phone's GPS which drains the battery.

I came across this product called Amazfit that was a rather largish watch sized GPS and exercise tracker for $150.  I had a bunch of Amazon points stored on a Visa card so I would end up spending about $20 for the thing.  I saw it was made in China.  Researched it a bit and, while it did everything I would like at the right price, it had very mixed reviews.

I ordered one expecting a cheap piece of junk.  I was surprised because right out of the box it had a solid feel.  Not too heavy but not flimsy.  I have had it for one year and through all the rain, sun exposure, salt air, and falls, it actually still works.

Once in a while they will update the app (Android) and something goes wrong with the app but they seem to fix it within a few days.

While I would still prefer a Garmin or Wahoo device, if anyone is looking for a cheap tracker, this one works quite well as long as you go in knowing what to expect.  The more expensive devices will pair with power meters, cadence meters, and all kinds of other gear that I don't use.  It is also a decent heart rate monitor.

One thing I have learned in cycling is that it is very easy to overspend on shiny stuff.  Generally, just sticking to good basic items is the way to go.