Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Imitar

Acid reflux and bg

Imitar

Hello, first time poster. I have a quick question, did a search and couldn't find an answer...on a number of forums.

Anyway, I have a few medical conditions, and I had acid reflux my entire life. I usually take h2 blockers like Pepcid, tagamet, etc, but the ppis (24 hour acid reducers) work tons better.

My question is why do I have elevated blood sugars on ppis? I figure that ppis cause food to digest slower, so you'll get bs spikes later.

I'm assuming excess stomach acid feeds arthritis? I have terrible arthritis and I feel much better taking a ppi like Nexium, omeprazole, etc.

adiantum

Hi, welcome to our forum.

I've not heard of your issue before  but I believe your answer might be with the pharmacist.

Ive found these folk know more about drugs & the side effects then doctors, including my much loved  Dr.Google

leww37334

Be careful with the acid reflux it can create Barretts esophagus   which can lead to throat cancer

Dowling

Hi Imitar welcome to the forum

What does your diet look like? I had or maybe still have ulcers and took Ranitidine  for many years. I had heartburn often too. Once I switched to a low carb high fat diet everything all but disappeared. I never have ulcer pain and my occasional heart burn is controlled by1 tums tablet. That heart burn is usually caused by my occasional cheat. I know that's not acid reflux but maybe diet could help you break your dependence on so many acid reducers.

Even type 1's can benefit from a low carb diet. Read Dr. Richard Bernsrein's book "the diabetic solution" He is a type 1 who got diabetes in childhood. Last I heard he was over 80. He developed the low carb high fat diet and avoided any diabetic complications as well as reducing the amount of insulin he needed.

I really don't know if the slow release of nutrients caused by lowering the acid in the stomach has anything to do with high blood sugar but it sounds reasonable

bespawlerbison
On 9/28/2020 at 5:05 AM, leww37334 said:

Be careful with the acid reflux it can create Barretts esophagus   which can lead to throat cancer

oh my! What are the symptoms of acid reflux? ☹️

leww37334
On 7/27/2020 at 7:09 PM, Imitar said:

Hello, first time poster. I have a quick question, did a search and couldn't find an answer...on a number of forums.

Anyway, I have a few medical conditions, and I had acid reflux my entire life. I usually take h2 blockers like Pepcid, tagamet, etc, but the ppis (24 hour acid reducers) work tons better.

My question is why do I have elevated blood sugars on ppis? I figure that ppis cause food to digest slower, so you'll get bs spikes later.

I'm assuming excess stomach acid feeds arthritis? I have terrible arthritis and I feel much better taking a ppi like Nexium, omeprazole, etc.   You  need to talk to a doctor and go to a prescription antacid  I take pantapraezole

leww37334
On 9/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, bespawlerbison said:

oh my! What are the symptoms of acid reflux? ☹️   Incredible burning in the throat   imagine  swallowing hydrochloric acid

bespawlerbison
On 10/1/2020 at 9:38 PM, leww37334 said:

Sorry, I got so curious I had a quick search, but thanks for answering though! :)

adiantum

Its as its called.. acid coming up from the stomach.

It burns as it comes up & if done often can seriously  damage the lining of the oesophagus.

2 hours ago, bespawlerbison said:

Sorry, I got so curious I had a quick search, but thanks for answering though! :)