Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
buddy7

Supermarkets-Self-checkouts!

buddy7

The kind of guy that does most of the weekly or monthly shopping for the family, for some time now I’ve noted not only my local supermarket but other supermarkets have opted to fit these self-checkouts services. Have to say, never had a reason to use one of these machines before, but shopping on Friday last, been into 7 shops and it would appear this is the way forward. Been into a shop called Pound land, must’ve taken up over 10 items and a shopping bag, got up to the checkout and all they had were these self-checkouts machines, so I had no choice, said to the attendant in the area, this is first for me? Can you please show us how to use the self-checkout machine service?

She was more than pleased to help, ‘using the words no problem this is easy’. Press start on the keypad, then find the bar-code on your groceries, scan the item, then repeat for the rest of the items, in the end, the self-checkout machine, asked, do you want to pay by cash or card? key in your choice, I keyed in card payment, flash my payment card and number into the machine, the job is done. Please take your items and receipt. 

With the current coronavirus, plus masked up and social distancing, I think I would use this self-checkout service in the future. It was a cinch. Anyone here uses Self-checkouts?

Diana_CT

Yes, I use them all the time. I find that the lines are a lot shorter than the clerk checkout.

Some people say it takes jobs away from clerks but I think the people who have to maintain the self checkout machines have to be some type of technician who are probably must higher paid than clerks. 

Dowling

No I never use self checkouts and I won't for as long as I can avoid them. They may be easy to use but they also deprive someone of a job. Your grocery has eliminated cashier jobs and in doing so have reaped the profit of not having to pay cashiers but I'll bet they haven't dropped their prices. Instead they ask you to do the job of a cashier without any reward for doing so. I do complain about self checkouts whenever I can do so.

This is similar to stores charging for plastic bags and that was a rip off by stores too. It was done in the name of the environment yet not 1 cent of  that charge goes to help the environment. It goes directly into the store owners pocket.

I would have taken the time to ask for the manager and told him/her just why I wasn't shopping in their store and then went to another store to shop.

Dowling
12 minutes ago, Diana_CT said:

Yes, I use them all the time. I find that the lines are a lot shorter than the clerk checkout.

Some people say it takes jobs away from clerks but I think the people who have to maintain the self checkout machines have to be some type of technician who are probably must higher paid than clerks. 

Yes they do take away jobs. At the minimum wage in the USA on an average of $11.50- 1 cashier would make $11.50x40 hours x50 weeks=$23,000(If you figure 52 weeks it would be higher). I know it's more than that because most cashiers in grocery stores are unionized. Even at minimum wage though 1 cashiers wage would more than cover the cost of any computer tech for a year and leave money in the store owner's pocket.

Diana_CT
41 minutes ago, Dowling said:

Yes they do take away jobs. At the minimum wage in the USA on an average of $11.50- 1 cashier would make $11.50x40 hours x50 weeks=$23,000(If you figure 52 weeks it would be higher). I know it's more than that because most cashiers in grocery stores are unionized. Even at minimum wage though 1 cashiers wage would more than cover the cost of any computer tech for a year and leave money in the store owner's pocket.

Meanwhile we paid our technicians a starting pay of $43,000. 

Hammer

It took me a long time before I started using those self checkout machines, mainly because I too felt that it took away jobs.  The first time I went to use one, was in K-Mart.  I was standing in line holding a gallon of anti-freeze.  The guy who watches over the machines saw me, and urged me to use one of the self checkout machines.  He basically took the anti-freeze out of my hand and walked over to one of those machines.  He tried to scan it, and it wouldn't scan  After numerous tries, he walked over to another machine and tried to scan it, and again it wouldn't scan.  After numerous tries he walked over to a third machine, and it scanned the anti-freeze.  It indicated that it charged me $50 for a gallon of anti-freeze, which was ridiculous, since, back then anti-freeze was about $5 a gallon.  He tried to delete the $50 charge and scan it again, and again, it said $50.  I grabbed the anti-freeze out of his hand and walked over to one of the checkout clerks.  As I walked away from the guy, I said, I would been checked out 5 minutes ago, if you hadn't tried to get me to use of those stupid machines.  I also thought, if he is scanning it for me, why do they need the self checkout machines, since I wasn't doing the scanning?

Now, I use them all of the time because all of the cashier lines are crowded, and they have numerous cashier lines open.  When you figure that, they have at least 8 self checkout lines, and 5 or 6 cashier lines open, they don't have enough closed cashier lines to make up for those 8 self checkout lines.  Due to the coronavirus, the self checkout lines now only accept credit cards, no cash.  I prefer the self checkout lines now because I prefer to bag my own groceries myself.  I've had some checkout cashiers do a poor job of bagging my groceries, like putting canned goods in the same bag as a big bag of potato chips, or putting my bags of already hard cooked and peeled eggs in the same bag as canned goods.  Then you have the checkout cashiers who try to squeeze as many groceries in one bag as they can, leaving no room to tie the top of the bag together to keep the groceries from falling out on the way home.

I like my Sprite Zero in the 2 liter bottles, but it's hard to find, so when I see it, I buy a lot of it.  I've been in the checkout cashier's line with 12 bottles of the Sprite Zero, when they sometimes ask me if I would like the bottles in a bag?.....what do they think, I want to carry 12 bottles in my arms when I get home from the store?🙄  Bagging them allows me to carry 8 bottles at a time.

Dowling
2 hours ago, Hammer said:

I've had some checkout cashiers do a poor job of bagging my groceries, like putting canned goods in the same bag as a big bag of potato chips, or putting my bags of already hard cooked and peeled eggs in the same bag as canned goods.  Then you have the checkout cashiers who try to squeeze as many groceries in one bag as they can, leaving no room to tie the top of the bag together to keep the groceries from falling out on the way home.

No one would get away with bagging my groceries like that. I tell the cashiers how I want my groceries bagged if they don't do it right. I bring my own bags too.

Meanwhile we paid our technicians a starting pay of $43,000.

I doubt grocery stores would have a resident technician but would call one in when needed. There wouldn't be the need when the machines would only need servicing a few times a year. A chain store may employ one to service all the computers in a given city with each store chipping in to pay him but not an individual store. My computer tech has many business that use him when things go wrong with their machines  He works alone yet he still has time to run his own business for home computers.

For all those who like self serve--did you ever think you were doing the job of a cashier and not being paid for it. Yes the lines may be shorter now but if they go all self serve the lines will be just as long as the cashiers are now. I use my time in line to read--I always bring a book--or sometimes I people watch so I never mind waiting in line,

•  

Hammer

Dowling, the problem with making sure the baggers bag your groceries the way you want them bagged, is that they are bagging your groceries while you are still putting your groceries on the conveyor belt, so you can't always see what they are doing.  Like you, I am also choosy about how I want my groceries packed.  I never bring my own bags, but I see them being sold at the checkout line.  I read that those bags are unsanitary, so I never used them.

I agree that we are doing the job of the cashier, but I disagree that we are not being paid for it.  They pay us by charging lower prices since they don't have to pay someone to bag them for you.  Some time ago I posted in the Humor thread, a video of John Pinnette, doing a comedy routine when he was a guest on The View TV show.  He said: "Do they have those self serve checkout lines in your grocery store where you have to bag your own groceries?  If they do, then DON'T do it!  I'm not doing it and don't you do it either!  Next they'll be having us stock the shelves, there'll be a cleanup on aisle 6.  Where will it end?"🤣

buddy7
21 hours ago, Diana_CT said:

Thanks for the RP Diana, I could see why some people like self-checkouts, I never was a big fan for standing in lines (queuing) one of the things that pee’s me off with shopping, however, I do love these self-checkouts,  should’ve given then a try years ago, certainly works for me.

As far as job losses, I’ve got a heart for this owing to the current employment climate, wherein some countries unemployment is at its highest, but the way I see it, self-checkouts are the way forward, we call it progress.

buddy7
22 hours ago, Dowling said:

No I never use self checkouts and I won't for as long as I can avoid them. They may be easy to use but they also deprive someone of a job. Your grocery has eliminated cashier jobs and in doing so have reaped the profit of not having to pay cashiers but I'll bet they haven't dropped their prices. Instead they ask you to do the job of a cashier without any reward for doing so. I do complain about self checkouts whenever I can do so.

This is similar to stores charging for plastic bags and that was a rip off by stores too. It was done in the name of the environment yet not 1 cent of  that charge goes to help the environment. It goes directly into the store owners pocket.

I would have taken the time to ask for the manager and told him/her just why I wasn't shopping in their store and then went to another store to shop.

Dowling; yes when it comes to public usage, one suspects they have to when making new technology simple and easy to use, otherwise you’ll have more queuing when people just don’t understand the new system/technology fitted.

About job losses, look, this was always going to happen when technology puts its feet through the door, remember years ago, when I was a production shop-floor steward, and dozens of times I fought my employers at the time when a new automotive machine was going to replace several jobs, my biggest thought was for my members, these productive guys who had just taken out new mortgages/new cars/families with 3-4 children, without looking in the future, no one sees this coming, today we call this progress. But unfortunately, life goes on. And we have the same problem today, would you buy a new land-line telephone for your house today? No, I don’t think you would, looking at the advancement of cell-phone technology, the pace the world is progressing I’d go for a cell phone any time. (Probably Hammer would kill me for this).

But have to agree with you on the plastic bag issue, all profits generated on instore plastic bags or at the checkouts go nowhere else but the retailers' bank accounts. Yes, a rip off indeed.

I need not see a store manager, why? I would be using these self-checkouts in the future.

buddy7
17 hours ago, Hammer said:

It took me a long time before I started using those self checkout machines, mainly because I too felt that it took away jobs.  The first time I went to use one, was in K-Mart.  I was standing in line holding a gallon of anti-freeze.  The guy who watches over the machines saw me, and urged me to use one of the self checkout machines.  He basically took the anti-freeze out of my hand and walked over to one of those machines.  He tried to scan it, and it wouldn't scan  After numerous tries, he walked over to another machine and tried to scan it, and again it wouldn't scan.  After numerous tries he walked over to a third machine, and it scanned the anti-freeze.  It indicated that it charged me $50 for a gallon of anti-freeze, which was ridiculous, since, back then anti-freeze was about $5 a gallon.  He tried to delete the $50 charge and scan it again, and again, it said $50.  I grabbed the anti-freeze out of his hand and walked over to one of the checkout clerks.  As I walked away from the guy, I said, I would been checked out 5 minutes ago, if you hadn't tried to get me to use of those stupid machines.  I also thought, if he is scanning it for me, why do they need the self checkout machines, since I wasn't doing the scanning?

Now, I use them all of the time because all of the cashier lines are crowded, and they have numerous cashier lines open.  When you figure that, they have at least 8 self checkout lines, and 5 or 6 cashier lines open, they don't have enough closed cashier lines to make up for those 8 self checkout lines.  Due to the coronavirus, the self checkout lines now only accept credit cards, no cash.  I prefer the self checkout lines now because I prefer to bag my own groceries myself.  I've had some checkout cashiers do a poor job of bagging my groceries, like putting canned goods in the same bag as a big bag of potato chips, or putting my bags of already hard cooked and peeled eggs in the same bag as canned goods.  Then you have the checkout cashiers who try to squeeze as many groceries in one bag as they can, leaving no room to tie the top of the bag together to keep the groceries from falling out on the way home.

I like my Sprite Zero in the 2 liter bottles, but it's hard to find, so when I see it, I buy a lot of it.  I've been in the checkout cashier's line with 12 bottles of the Sprite Zero, when they sometimes ask me if I would like the bottles in a bag?.....what do they think, I want to carry 12 bottles in my arms when I get home from the store?🙄  Bagging them allows me to carry 8 bottles at a time.

An amazing story Hammer, like the bit, When you figure that, they have at least 8 self-checkout lines, and 5 or 6 cashier lines open, this has to be the way forward, technology at its best, will be using them more in the future.

buddy7
17 hours ago, Dowling said:

For all those who like self serve--did you ever think you were doing the job of a cashier and not being paid for it. Yes the lines may be shorter now but if they go all self serve the lines will be just as long as the cashiers are now. I use my time in line to read--I always bring a book--or sometimes I people watch so I never mind waiting in line,

•  

The thought of doing the cashier job, never really appeal to me, but this should apply more so to the Store Manager, my view he’s there to make his store more productive and proficient, hence the self-checkout machines for his customers and bosses of course.

I find it hard to comprehend, how you can use your time in line (queuing) and reading a book at the same time, waiting in queues just pee me off, other than that I loved shopping.

Dowling
1 hour ago, buddy7 said:

I find it hard to comprehend, how you can use your time in line (queuing) and reading a book at the same time, waiting in queues just pee me off, other than that I loved shopping.

I carry a book with me all the time in my purse. I read while waiting for anything--in doctor's and dentists offices and while waiting to cash out not only at supermarkets but at retail stores too. I read while on a bus, plane or train, in fact any time I have to wait for something or someone. It makes the time pass fast and saves frustration. If you don't want to carry a book you can download books to a cell phone or tablet. If you don't like to read you can play a game on your cell phone. Try it--That Queue won't seem long at all.

The trouble with waiting in line is there is nothing to occupy your mind or your body so you get frustrated. You can't do anything to move your body but you can keep your mind busy and that makes time go faster

Edited by Dowling

Hammer

I am a very patient person, and I have no problem waiting in line.  If it's at the food store, I just read the covers of the tabloids or magazines that are stacked at the checkout counter.  If I'm in a clothing store, I'll just watch the people as they shop.  I think that the reason that I don't mind waiting in line is because I never get bored.  There is nothing that will bore me.  I can sit in a chair in an empty room, and stare at the four walls for hours on end, and not get bored.

I remember many years ago, before they had the drive up windows at banks, and you had to go inside the bank to do your banking, like most people, I'd go to the bank on Friday night, since I got paid on Fridays.  Invariably, there would be a person in line who would get irritated that the lines (typically three lines) all had 7 or 8 people in them.  The three tellers were doing the best they could, but it was still taking a while.  The person who got irritated got on my nerves, because he/she was complaining about the waiting time.  To me, the person was an idiot, I mean, it's a Friday night, what did he/she expect?  If the person didn't want to wait in line, then come back Monday when it's not crowded, I mean, DUH!  That's like going to the beach on a holiday weekend, and complaining that it's too crowded. 🙄 

buddy7

Reference to my printer went to use my printer yesterday, noted I was completely out of A4 white printer paper, so I went to my local supermarket to collect this one item, went down the stationary aisles collected one pack A4 white printer paper, on my walk back to the checkouts, though here’s an opportunity to use one of the 10 self-checkouts machines, got to the self-serve machine, quite no one around, but the attendant, press the start keypad, bar-code and scan the pack of paper then place it on the adjoining weighing scale, how do you want to pay by cash or card payment, press card payment, first I entered my points card and then flash my contactless card on the card machine job done, take your item and receipt.

This took me around 5-6 minutes in and out the supermarket back to my car, no clutter of people, or mingling with anyone. Now, how easy is that? I just hate queuing for about anything.

Pap1.JPG

Hammer

That's interesting Buddy...that you buy printer paper in a store.  I never buy my inkjet paper in the store, I order it online, since it's usually cheaper.  I use Hewlett Packard bright white paper, and the last time I ordered it, I ordered 14 reams of it from the Hewlett Packard website.  It was $5 a ream there, whereas in the local office supply store, it was $10 a ream, which is why I ordered so much of it. (the shipping was free).  I saved $70 by ordering it online.  I still have about 9 or 10 reams left, so once I get down to 2 reams, I'll order some more.  I always have extra of most everything, since I hate to run out of something right in the middle of when I need it.

I just bought some more postage stamps since I was getting low on them.  Here, we have "forever" stamps, which are stamps that cost 55 cents ($0.55) each right now, and if the postal rates go up, my stamps will still be good, even though I only paid 55 cents for them, and the new rate is higher.  That's why they are called forever stamps since you can use them forever.  I usually buy 10 rolls of them (100 stamps per roll), so that costs me $550, but that saves me money, if the rates go up, since my ten rolls will last me for a long time.

Dowling
37 minutes ago, Hammer said:

That's interesting Buddy...that you buy printer paper in a store.  I never buy my inkjet paper in the store, I order it online, since it's usually cheaper.  I use Hewlett Packard bright white paper, and the last time I ordered it, I ordered 14 reams of it from the Hewlett Packard website.  It was $5 a ream there, whereas in the local office supply store, it was $10 a ream, which is why I ordered so much of it. (the shipping was free).  I saved $70 by ordering it online.  I still have about 9 or 10 reams left, so once I get down to 2 reams, I'll order some more.  I always have extra of most everything, since I hate to run out of something right in the middle of when I need it.

I just bought some more postage stamps since I was getting low on them.  Here, we have "forever" stamps, which are stamps that cost 55 cents ($0.55) each right now, and if the postal rates go up, my stamps will still be good, even though I only paid 55 cents for them, and the new rate is higher.  That's why they are called forever stamps since you can use them forever.  I usually buy 10 rolls of them (100 stamps per roll), so that costs me $550, but that saves me money, if the rates go up, since my ten rolls will last me for a long time.

Hammer--Not every country has the same on line options. I never order name brand computer paper. I'm not printing anything fancy so multi purpose paper is fine for me. In fact I can't see any difference in the cheaper brand. They are just as thick and white as the name brand. I buy mine at Staples or Walmart when they have their back to school sale and pay $3.00 a package for it. They come in packages of 500 sheets(a ream--I had to look that up). 3 packages more than do me for a year.

We have those forever stamps too but I only buy a couple of packages at a time and that more than does me for a year. The price of stamps never go up that often or that much that I feel I have to stock up.

The reason post offices started those forever stamps is that in the long run it saves them money. They can have them printed in bulk and there is no waste when they increase the rate by a cent or 2. Just think how much waste there'd be if all the post offices in the country had a few  rolls of stamps that were then useless because no one would want to use 2 stamps unless they already owned them

Hammer

Dowling, I never use the generic brands of inkjet paper, not that there is anything wrong with them, but I have noticed that when I use the Hewlett Packard bright white paper, it is really noticeably brighter than the generic brands of paper, and that makes the print, as well as images, easier to read.  If I am going to print pictures, then I use photo paper, and I have several brands of that also, and I use one brand for one purpose, and another brand for another purpose.  Something that a lot of people may not know is that, if you use the printer paper that is made by the company that made your printer, their paper is designed specifically for that printer.  The text and images won't fade as fast as generic paper, and the colors will be more accurate with their papers.

When I use the HP bright white paper, I know that anything that I print on it will look noticeably brighter, even if it's just black print, so that's why I like it, and I feel like it makes an impression on people who see it.

If anyone knows what a color profile is for your printer, then they know that, when you are using a certain type of paper with your printer, if you want the colors to be accurate, you must first use a colorimeter to calibrate your monitor, otherwise, the colors you see on your monitor, are not the colors that are actually being represented.  Once you've calibrated your monitor, you need to create a color profile for the type of paper that you are using in your printer.  To do that, you need a spectrophotometer.  When you get a spectrophotometer, at least the one that I have, it comes with software that prints out a color chart.  You print out that color chart, then, you place the spectrophotometer on that color chart, and slowly move it over the chart, and as you do that, it analyzes each color, and compares it to the hexadecimal digital values of what that color should be.  Once it's done that, it adjusts your printer's color profile for just that one type of paper.  If you want to use a different paper, you need to repeat the process.  The unit that I have is an older version of the Color Munki, since the newer versions are now called the  i1Studio Spectrophotometer.  I also have two older versions of The Spyder Pro colorimeter.  Also, the Color Munki will calibrate the color profile of my flatbed scanner, which is necessary when scanning pictures.

I realize that most people aren't that concerned about getting the colors in their documents color corrected, since most documents are just black print, but I like to make sure that everything is calibrated properly, so by using the name brand inkjet papers, I know that I'll get repeatable results, whereas with generic paper, I won't.  Is this overkill?...yes, most definitely, but while I don't print out that many pictures these days, years ago I did, which is why I have the Color Munki and two Spyder Pro colorimeters. 

Dowling

Hammer you are a lot more particular than I am. When I print a photo it's only for my albums or for painting. If it's for a painting I'm more concerned with shape and form than the exact color, I do however make adjustments  to color and size on my computer and I always use photo paper. I do have canon photo paper and some others and I can't see a noticeable difference between them. You may be right about name brand being brighter--I don't know but for printing recipes and such the cheaper one is OK for me.

I printed dozens of photos when my grandsons were small and I did it on cheap photo paper and none have faded but then they are all in an album and not exposed to light which may make a difference.

Hammer

I agree Dowling, that I am more particular than most people when it comes to printing.  I have always enjoyed working on pictures in Photoshop, not just for myself, but for others.  To me, it's always a challenge to try to repair a photo that someone has given me, or to enlarge a photo, or whatever.  I have scanned over ten thousand pictures over the years, and once I've scanned a photo, I will spend whatever time is necessary to get that photo to look it's best.  I have seen badly damaged photos that someone repaired, and the end result was fantastic.  People who can do things like that are true artists.  I am not that talented, but I do what I can to improve faded or damaged photos for friends and relatives.  The thing is, if someone asks me to work on a photo of their's, when I'm finished working on it, and I print it out, I want the colors in my printed out version, to look the same as the original....unless the original photo's colors had faded, in which case, I'll try to bring back the original colors.

When I was still working, I had a co-worker ask me if I could repair his father's discharge paper from the military.  It was really old, it had been folded so many times that it had torn, so it was taped where it had torn, and the paper had yellowed.  I took it home, scanned it, and began to work on it.  Because it was so badly damaged, I had to zoom in on it to the point where I could see the actual pixels of the scan.  I had to repair it one pixel at a time.  I spent 8 hours a day for two weeks working on it, and when I was finished, I printed it out, and it looked as good as the day it was given to my co-worker's father.  This is why I am so particular with the paper that I use, the calibration of my monitor, my scanner, and my printer.  I never know if someone will ask me to work on a picture or document to make my printed copy of it look like the original.  If it's a picture, and I want a permanent version of it, I"ll upload it to Shutterfly, and have them make an actual photograph of it, since inkjet prints aren't actual photographs, they are inkjet prints.  If you get a drop of water on an actual photograph, nothing happens.  If you get a drop of water on an inkjet print, it smears the photo.  I also have a thermal dye printer, and photos printed out with that printer won't smear if you get water on them, but it's difficult to find supplies for that printer, since it's no longer made.

Yes, if those photos that you printed out of your grandsons are stored in an album, they should last a long time, since light, especially sunlight, will cause any type of photo to fade.  You need to be careful though...if you printed those photos on high end photo paper, that type of paper typically has one side, the shiny side, coated with some type of plastic, which is why it's a photo paper.  When you print on inkjet paper, the ink will be absorbed into the paper, which will make the image on the paper look somewhat out of focus.  With high end photo paper, the plastic coating prevents the ink from being absorbed into the paper, the ink stays on top of the plastic coating, which is why the photo stays sharp.  The problem is, that ink that is resting on top of the plastic coating will stick to other surfaces, like the plastic pockets in a photo album that you place the photos under.  I made a print of a cat that looks devilish, and placed it in a picture frame.  It was printed on glossy photo paper, and it has stuck to the picture frame's glass, making it look terrible.  I've replaced it, putting it under a matte, so as to keep it away from the glass, but that didn't prevent it from sticking to the glass again.  Now if you use a paper, like my everyday photo paper, it has a different type of coating on it, which is not plastic, so it does get absorbed somewhat, but not enough to make the photo look out of focus.  That paper will not stick to the glass in a picture frame, but it's also not quite as sharp as the high end photo paper. 

buddy7
16 hours ago, Hammer said:

My local supermarket has about everything in it, they’ve got a proper stationary instore, gave it a thought to go online Amazon, but my supermarket is not only convenient but a darn-sight cheaper, now here’s the spiel, nothing fancy, all I normally buy for my printer is a standard A4 white printer paper, multi-purpose suitable for inkjet and laser printers, at £2.85 1 A4 ream 500 sheets, in USD that will cost me $3.72.

As I have an Amazon account in the past I use to compare prices, looking at brand names i.e. Double-A £5.99 for 1 A4 ream 500 sheets $7.84. Cannon Black label premium 1 A4 ream 500 sheets £3.90 in $5.14. Amazon basic multipurpose 1 A4 ream 500 sheets £4.11 in $5.38.

I supposed at the above prices I’d be better off buying £££s sterling in bulk, but that said, I’d never get the chance to use them all within the year.

Only at Christmas I’d get the chance to buy stamps, seldom use stamps during the year, generally, I’ll buy a book of 12 first-class stamps which can be used forever, that will cost me £9.12-- £0.76 per stamp, in $11.98. And if I run out for some reason I’ll buy another book of 12, but hardly use them.

Dowling

Hammer--Probably if I had known about it I would have gotten photoshop when I was into doing photos big time and maybe been as particular as you are about things because I enjoyed doing them. I liked that I could make them the size I wanted--within reason-- without distorting them .For that I used Microsoft word . At that time I was a relative newbie to computers and what they could actually do. I thought I was pretty smart to be able to do that but little did I know then what I knew was merely the tip of the iceberg.

I did make my grandsons a story book of their lives printing pictures and text on photo paper . Then I put the pages in a small, 1 picture at a time photo album. I started it with their parents and how they met and went on to their birth and then events and things they did growing up.  I ended it at 6 years old with a little poem--something else I enjoy. The boys loved them and even as teenagers they are still in a special place in their rooms

Edited by Dowling

buddy7
17 hours ago, Dowling said:

Hammer--Not every country has the same on line options. I never order name brand computer paper. I'm not printing anything fancy so multi purpose paper is fine for me. In fact I can't see any difference in the cheaper brand. They are just as thick and white as the name brand. I buy mine at Staples or Walmart when they have their back to school sale and pay $3.00 a package for it. They come in packages of 500 sheets(a ream--I had to look that up). 3 packages more than do me for a year.

We have those forever stamps too but I only buy a couple of packages at a time and that more than does me for a year. The price of stamps never go up that often or that much that I feel I have to stock up.

The reason post offices started those forever stamps is that in the long run it saves them money. They can have them printed in bulk and there is no waste when they increase the rate by a cent or 2. Just think how much waste there'd be if all the post offices in the country had a few  rolls of stamps that were then useless because no one would want to use 2 stamps unless they already owned them

And you’re quite right Dowling, not all countries have online offers or options, I’m somewhat like yourself when I set out to buy paper for my printer I generally go for the multipurpose paper the reason for that I’m doing nothing as fancy as Hammer explain. My supermarket does a pretty good deal for A4 multipurpose white printer paper suitable for both inkjet and laser printers 500 sheets per pack @ £2.85--$3.72. I dear not buy in bulk I’d never get through them in a month on Sundays.

Same as the stamps, a brilliant idea again I do not write that many letters. In the UK we also do have a forever stamp, and what I do like about this idea, it’s a first-class stamp can be used whenever and however long you have them, they remain valid for whatever period you had them. If the postage per letter goes up, your first-class stamp remains the same.

I personally just buy 24 stamps the most which tie me over at the Christmas period at a cost of £18.24--$23.89.

Hammer

Like I mentioned, I always like to have extra of most everything.  I buy so many stamps because, as my radio club's secretary, I am always sending out membership cards.  When I make a contact on my ham radio, I send them a QSL card, which is like a postcard, but one side has a background image, and overlaid on top of that in big font is my call sign.  On the back is the contact information...the date and time of the contact, the frequency we made the contact on, how I received the other station, etc.  I also will frequently mail out a DVD or CD with data that someone wants.  Sometimes, someone wants a bunch of images scanned from some source, and they don't have a flatbed scanner, so I'll scan the images, then mail them a CD or DVD (depending on how many images they want).  I always have a supply of the mailers required to mail a CD or DVD, and they require 5 stamps.

I have lots of paper, because I am always printing out the "minutes" from the radio club's business meeting, as well as the membership roster every time we get or lose another member.  There are many things that I need to print out each month, so I need a good supply of paper.  I also keep an extra supply of inkjet cartridges, just in case.  I used to keep 2 sets of cartridges, but since I don't print out that many pictures these days, I just keep one set, since the cartridges have an expiration date on them, and a second set would expire before I'd get to use them.

Hammer

Dowling, when I got my first computer (a Windows 95 computer), I knew nothing about computers or software, I just like gadgets, so I figured that I'd get one.  As I slowly learned how to use it, I began to look into scanners.  I always liked photography, but I was never good at it, but being able to scan someone else's pictures was a good alternative for me.  The first flatbed scanner that I bought was a Microtek ScanMaker III.  It was on sale for only $1200, down from $2000, and it came with the full version of Photoshop (version 3.0).  I had no idea how to properly scan a photo, or how to use Photoshop.  I discovered the newsgroups, also called usenet, and there were groups there where people would scan photos and post them there.  I joined one group, and started posting my crude scans, then asking if anyone could help me....a lot of them did.

They walked me through the basics of scanning and using Photoshop.  As I got more familiar with Photoshop, I learned that it has so many features, that no one anywhere can know everything there is to know about it.  I took the advice of the others in that group, and just used the basic tools, then, over time, I'd check out another tool or filter.  While I know a lot more about using Photoshop, I will never know all of it's capabilities.  

As for enlarging a picture and not losing sharpness, Photoshop doesn't do a good job of it.  I have two other programs that do it better than Photoshop, one is ON1 Resize, which I've used with so-so results, and I recently bought Topaz Labs Gigapixel Ai, which uses artificial intelligence to resize pictures, and it works really well.  Here is a link to their website, and if you scroll down the page, they have some photos where you can move your cursor from left to right, and it shows you the before and after look of each picture.   This is the best software I have ever seen for enlarging photos without losing sharpness.  It's only downside is that you can only enlarge a photo up to 600%.

Edited by Hammer