Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

LCD

LCHF or KETO ?

LCD

What is the major difference between a low carb high fat diet vs a keto diet?  Differences and Similarities?

Edited by LCD

Dowling

Keto is a LCHF diet much the same as we follow. I don't think there is any difference except that some keto followers won't see it as a lifestyle change. Some may go back to their high carb ways and gain weight again. Weight gain may be their only consequence but with us it would drive our blood glucose up.

ran23

KETO seems to be an expensive way to eat and carry's some health dangers.  I like my cheese. 

TX_Clint
2 hours ago, ran23 said:

KETO seems to be an expensive way to eat and carry's some health dangers.  I like my cheese. 

Nothing necessarily expensive about KETO. What about cheese? Are you confusing KETO with Paleo?

Dowling
6 hours ago, ran23 said:

What health dangers? I belong to a keto club, mainly to get their recipes and cheese is often included. It is no different than our way of eating and as expensive or inexpensive as you make it. I think you must be thinking of some other diet -ran. Keto is a LCHF diet

LCD
6 hours ago, Dowling said:

What health dangers? I belong to a keto club, mainly to get their recipes and cheese is often included. 

Woul d I also be able to "join" to get those recipes? What other sights are good resources?

Dowling
19 hours ago, LCD said:

Woul d I also be able to "join" to get those recipes? What other sights are good resources?

Of course they take anyone who follows their diet for whatever reason not just for losing weight. There are quite a few Keto sites on line. I belong to the one on facebook. Have you checked out our recipe section? Lots of good recipes there and there are many low carb sites of line. I like "All day I dream of Food" but there are others that are good too. Just google Low Carb recipes and you'll get quite a few. Then look at the ingredients or the nutrition  guide to see if it's really low carb and if it is and you like the sound of the recipe then try it out. It may result in a few yucks but I'll bet you'll find many yums

Edited by Dowling

LCD
12 hours ago, Dowling said:

Of course they take anyone who follows their diet for whatever reason not just for losing weight. There are quite a few Keto sites on line. I belong to the one on facebook. Have you checked out our recipe section? Lots of good recipes there and there are many low carb sites of line. I like "All day I dream of Food" but there are others that are good too. Just google Low Carb recipes and you'll get quite a few. Then look at the ingredients or the nutrition  guide to see if it's really low carb and if it is and you like the sound of the recipe then try it out. It may result in a few yucks but I'll bet you'll find many yums

Thanks for the information.  Sunday will be the start of my keto diet (on my eating days) alternating  with  no eating on  my fasting days

Peppe89

What I follow is what works s for me. I eat to my meter. I do use keto recipes, I find that a lot of recipes described as low carb are too high for me.

LCD
4 hours ago, Peppe89 said:

What I follow is what works s for me. I eat to my meter. I do use keto recipes, I find that a lot of recipes described as low carb are too high for me.

Great advice.  Thank you.

Kit
On 9/2/2020 at 11:17 AM, LCD said:

What is the major difference between a low carb high fat diet vs a keto diet?  Differences and Similarities?

They very much different, but on the same spectrum of carbohydrate limiting diets.

LCHF is just what it says.  You lower carbohydrates and increase your fat intake.  That's pretty much its entire definition.  A LCHF diet does not necessarily say anything about protein or the source of your nutrients.

A ketogenic diet is actually pretty specific.  If is, in fact, a diet which promotes a metabolic change from glucose burning to ketone burning.  A strict keto diet does have a limit of protein because the body can turn protein into glucose. (Note: I said can and not does.  Gluconeogenesis is not a supply driven process but by need.)  What that level of protein should be is difficult to say as its going to depend upon individual needs, and that changes from person to person.

A strict keto diet also very much focuses on the source of any carbohydrates you may eat.  For example, soy sauce may only contain small amounts of wheat and a small amount in your riced cauliflower may not really add to the carb count, but because it is a grain, it is forbidden on strict keto.  The same goes for fats as well.

Another step on the spectrum is a carnivore diet.  This is a diet which eliminates all carbohydrate sources at all and people exist strictly on animal products.  There is argument about whether honey is considered carnivore as it is made by bees.  I've also heard arguments in regards to eggs and dairy being carnivore.  Neither are the flesh of an animal so they aren't carnivore.

And, because its a spectrum, there are a ton of spots in between.

There are some who practice something I have heard referred to as ketovore.  I would describe this as someone who is mostly carnivore, but they have some plant content periodically.  This might be someone who makes use of things like pepper or other herbs and spices on their animal products all the way to someone who maybe has a vegetable dish a few times a week or once a day.

On the other side of keto, you can have lazy keto or dirty keto.  All that matters here is that they are in nutritional ketosis.  Where they gets their carbs from, or the quality of the fats they use don't matter.

I tend to fall more into the strict keto category.  I do believe where our carbs come from matters.  But I am not 100% militant on the matter.

Edited by Kit