Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Carwy

I am back

Carwy

Okay I have been gone for quite awhile.  I  am back and hoping to gain experience and knowledge from others and ti help where I can. 

My doctor thought I was a type 2 diabetic but he isn't for sure now. I have changed my diet and I am into running half marathons. Here is the problem I have last 40 lbs and my A1C has gone from 6.7 to 10.1. He put me on insulin and I am also taking Metformin and Glyburide (Maxed out on both) and 10 units of Novolin N everyday. 

Here is my issue I am looking for 1 app for Android that will cover meds, bgl, food, and exercise.  Is there one out there? 

Dowling

I don't think there is an APP that gives you everything you want. An App has to be universal and it wouldn't apply to every diabetic. Every diabetic is different.  Some diabetics eat 30 carbs a day and others up to 100. Some can eat berries and others can't. Some do strenuous exercise and others don't. All increase their fat intake. We do what we do to keep our BG at a low level within our desired range.

What is your diet like. You said you changed it but have you cut back on carbs and don't use prepared food. There are lots of hidden carbs in food and you have to be very diligent, know the carbs and nutrition for things and read labels.

If you are running half marathons you should have something to eat during your race. Meyerly one of our members does long distance bike riding and he uses nuts to give him energy while riding. You might want to contact him. He is able to keep low numbers and still enjoy exercise

meyery2k

Hi @Carwy - I am a type 2.  I have been able to use diet and exercise to keep my diabetes under control.  As far as exercise, the morning of a long ride I eat a high fat breakfast of nuts, peanut butter (or hummus), cheese, and an Atkins shake.  I let that settle in about 45 minutes and then hit the road.  On the road, I carry snack packs of peanut butter, and almonds (or macadamia nuts).  I also carry Nuun electrolyte tabs.  I will drink 1 bottle of water and then alternate with 1 bottle of Nuun to keep my electrolytes in check.  Through experience, I have found that glucose will give a faster boost but it doesn't last nearly as long as the fat from the nuts or nut butters.  It takes a little longer to kick in but will last a long time.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

As far as apps, once I got my diet and exercise dialed in, I just test daily and so far so good.  I take an at home A1C test every month or so in addition to the test the PCP will run when I visit.

You might try asking if you can get the tests for Type 1.5 or LADA since it can present initially as Type 2.  Type 1.5 is thought to be an auto immune disorder where your body attacks the insulin producing cells of the pancreas.  There are blood tests that can help confirm or deny this.  ~ Mike 

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/mody-lada-diabetes-symptoms-treatment

Carwy

I went from the main stream diet of eating lots of carbs. Bread, potatoes, and fruits high in sugar ie watermelon in larger portions to eating a diet that doesn't include those things. My typical day is coffee with 2 oz of creamer for breakfast, tuna and tomatoes for lunch and dinner is usually something light like a salad. 

My exercise level is high I am in tje 5 plus mile range everyday that I am not training for a race. Also my job has me put in 5 plus miles a day walking as I work for KDOT.