Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ran23

Home AC

ran23

My house is about 18 yrs old.   The HVAC was failing to cool things on the 100+ days.  Service had to add one pound of R-22 Freon, the old stuff that is going up in price ($225 a pound today).  Next major cost will be replacing the unit.  Has anyone done this recently?  

Ricros

Replace mine about 8-10 years ago was about $5000-6000.  But now found a good company to PM it very year and only charges for work done no travel or "oops I forgot a part" time.

Dowling

I had a gas furnace and air conditioner put in 2 1/2 years ago at a cost of $9000. $5000 for the furnace and $4000 for the air conditioner with $800 knocked of the air conditioner because I bought the 2 together. There's a 10 year warrantee as long as I have maintenance done every 2 years. No maintenance and the warrantee is void. I have had maintenance both this year at a cost of $149 and will continue to have it done for the life of both. In my opinion catching some little thing that may be wrong is better than fixing a big thing by letting things go.

Of course I live in Canada so the prices may be different.

I've found that the extra insulation I had put in the attic dramatically decreased the cost of heating and cooling my house. We never had your kind of heat Ran but many days of 80 or 80 + degrees with high humidity. I kept all my windows closed and blinds drawn on on the south side and that kept my house at a comfortable 72 or less until 3 PM. I'd run the air for about 3 hours until it started to cool off a bit outside then turn it off. Were we live it usually cools off at night so my windows were all open at night to let in the fresh air and I'd close them all in the morning. My gas usage was averaged out to $70 a month. My house is small 1000 square feet with a full basement (8 foot high) which adds an additional 1000 square feet of living space.

Edited by Dowling

ran23

My single story home, the garage is not insulted.  It would be easy for me to do it, but the garage doors are not insulted either.  (wonder if that is a fire code or something?)

Dowling
6 hours ago, ran23 said:

My single story home, the garage is not insulted.  It would be easy for me to do it, but the garage doors are not insulted either.  (wonder if that is a fire code or something?)

Not a fire code. With the right insulation and dry wall you would add extra fire protection if your garage is attached to your house. I don't know what the codes are where you live but in Canada all attached garages must have a fire wall between the house and garage. Unless your doors are old they probably have foam insulation inside.

ran23

Actually I meant the over head Garage door (two car size).  Insulation panels would still allow air around the hinges.  funny, there is an opening from the garage to house attic on mine.  Some plywood would seal that up.   Garage is drywall and finished. 

Diana_CT

My central air AC unit is over 25 years old and it uses the old R-22 feon and I had it recharged about 3 years ago. The only other thing that went wrong over the years was the main relay contact welded closed and had to be replaced.