Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Adib

Diabetes advice

Adib

For a summer project I decided to use my knowledge of data analytics to help my father who suffers from diabetes. I ran analysis on forum posts and found some data driven answers to common questions diabetics have. Of course every diabetic is different, and my insights and recommendations are generalizations based on 10,000+ users, so obviously don’t take them completely to heart. I also stress that the information is not a substitute for a doctor, but rather there to make people more knowledgable. I would appreciate it if you checked out my website (https://guideyourdiabetes.com/) and provided me with some feedback.

keenast

Very interesting work! Alas, it would be good to have more info on where these data come from !

Edited by keenast

Dowling

Interesting but wrong where diet is concerned. Frankly the only reason I looked at your site was that I wanted to see what diet you recommended.  If I got half my calories from carbs my blood sugar would be high and if I lowered my fat intake I would have less energy.

You say you wanted to learn, then let me educate you. Carbs are not necessary in a diet. Carbs are only used for energy but if you cut way down on carbs you need something to burn for energy and that's where fat comes in. Not just any fat but good fats. Like the fats you get from whole foods like nuts, cheese, cream, butter and meat. I eat only whole foods, never prepared food and I eat only vegetables that grow above the ground. Root vegetables are high in carbs. I eat berries in moderation because they are lower in fructose than other fruit. Some of us here eat as few carbs as 30 a day. I eat slightly more because I can and still keep my blood glucose below 6. I drink lots of water and bake with almond and other nut flours and flax and other seed meals

Many of us found that switching to a Low carb high fat diet lowered our cholesterol too. The fat we eat is burnt off as energy so it does nothing to our heart health. I'm going to suggest you read 2 books that support our lifestyle. "Think like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner and Dr. Richard Bernstein's book "The Diabetes Solution"

After you read them Please come back and let us know what you think now

Adib

@keenast Thank you for your kind words. The data are posts that come from multiple diabetes forums like this one. It’s all text so I used natural language processing tools (lift and sentiment analysis) to draw quantifiable conclusions.

@Dowling I really appreciate you letting me know that the diet section needs improvement. I drew those conclusions from reading articles by the CDC, NIH, and diabetes.org, but I’ve haven’t been able to get multiple people with diabetes to check whether they agreed with the information. Thank you for also recommending those 2 books I’ll definitely make some time to read them, and hopefully improve the diet section in the future.

Edited by Adib

meyery2k

@Adib - Welcome! I have to come on the side of Dowling when it comes to diet.  Low carb/high fat allowed me to stop the medicine.  I control my diabetes with diet and exercise for now.  Enough energy to cycle 100 kilometers or miles.  Lipids are excellent.  I also lost 100 pounds and got into the best shape of my life.  When I concentrated on keeping glucose under control, everything else seemed to just follow along.  The ADA suggested diet would kill me slowly and have me taking meds to stave off complications.  No thank you!  

I eat way better now than ever.  Low Carb High Fat has extremely good food.  A diet that says enjoy butter is AOK in my book lol...

Cruise around the posts and you will gain much insight from people that live with this every day.  They will offer the best advice.  I am so happy I found this site when I was first diagnosed.  I was skeptical at first about the fat but I had nothing to lose but glucose and weight so I took a chance.

Adib

@meyery2k Yes when I went looking through my data I noticed a lot of people mentioning that a low carb high fat worked really well for them. Do you think low carb high fat is a good general diet recommendation that most diabetics could benefit from? Or do you think it is one of the multiple diets that diabetics should try to see what works best. The reason I ask this is because I’m deciding whether to make it a part of the general recommendation or create a separate section for it. I appreciate any feedback.

Dowling
1 hour ago, Adib said:

@meyery2k Yes when I went looking through my data I noticed a lot of people mentioning that a low carb high fat worked really well for them. Do you think low carb high fat is a good general diet recommendation that most diabetics could benefit from? Or do you think it is one of the multiple diets that diabetics should try to see what works best. The reason I ask this is because I’m deciding whether to make it a part of the general recommendation or create a separate section for it. I appreciate any feedback.

The only diet that works for diabetics is a low carb high fat diet and I'll tell you why. Simple carbs like sugar enter the blood stream right away. Complex carbs take longer and are somewhat mitigated by fiber but eventually enter the blood stream but they are somewhat better than simple carbs. In a nondiabetic insulin is released that keeps the blood glucose at a low level. Diabetics are insulin resistant so don't have that protection. Their blood glucose goes up and up if they continue to eat carbs.

While cutting way down on carbs keeps your blood glucose in check it also deprives one of the energy that you get from carbs and that's where  good fats come in. Fats like what you get from whole foods like nuts, butter, cream, yogurt, meat and other whole foods. When the body does not get enough carbs for energy it switches to burning fat for energy and that's why we eat a low carb high fat diet.

As a general note--I feel better and have more energy on a LCHF diet than I ever had on my carby one

Lately many people are using the same diet (Keto) to lose weight. That is one of the side benefits of a LCHF diet

Edited by Dowling

meyery2k

People with diabetes, uncontrolled blood pressure, morbid obesity, usually have to make lifestyle changes.  Having been there, I know this.  We don;t like to hear it and it takes discipline to start and more discipline to continue.  Some people find that keto does not suit them because gall bladder issues often require restriction of fat intake.

My opinion is that you could present all ideas, like is done here, for people to look at.  While I promote keto, I also explain it is because I found it works and is something I can live with.  Others have found some adaptations of vegan to work for them.

The hard part, at least to me, was not what the diet would be but accepting the fact that I had to improvise, adapt, and overcome for a lifetime whether it is short or long.  I am pretty sure if I kept on as before, it would be short.  Definitely miserable whether short or not.