Jump to content
Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
captg

erectile dysfunction

Recommended Posts

captg

I am new to the forums...hello to all

 

I am 57 and have had type 2 for 12 years, reasonably fit, diet if fair (could be better) my question is... 

 

What is available to me when the common medicines (Viagra etc) no longer work - many thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dowling
1 hour ago, captg said:

I am new to the forums...hello to all

 

I am 57 and have had type 2 for 12 years, reasonably fit, diet if fair (could be better) my question is... 

 

What is available to me when the common medicines (Viagra etc) no longer work - many thanks 

 

This is not really a question for this forum. We are a diabetic website and I don't think your problem has nothing to do with Diabetes especially if it's under control

However my husband died with Prostate cancer so I know something about this. Have you had a PSI test lately? Every man should have this test every 2 years after the age of 50. As men age the prostate enlarges and can become cancerous. Not that I think you have cancer but if the prostate is enlarged it effects urine flow and control and sperm flow. 

 

Normally the prostate is a walnut sized gland that surrounds the Urethra and produces a thick creamy white fluid to carry the sperm. An enlarged prostate is something that comes with men aging

If Left too long it will squeeze the urethra and maybe cut off the flow of both urine and sperm. If caught early there are medicines to reverse the effect.

Please make an appointment with an urologist soon and ask for a PSI test. If this is not your problem then a urologist is a doctor who can help you and you'll also be avoiding prostate cancer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
don1942

In my opinion, this is a very relevant question for this forum. Diabetes is one of the major causes of ED. Excess glucose causes nerve damage in the form of peripheral neuropathy in the penis. Excess glucose also causes autonomic neuropathy which affects involuntary bodily functions, including sexual response.

 

When PDE5s became ineffective for me, I was prescribed Trimix injections which worked well for a number of years until they Also became ineffective. I am currently using a vacuum erection device. You should check out FrankTalk.org, a forum devoted to helping guys suffering with ED.

 

Edited by don1942

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

@captg, Welcome to the forum.

 

What is your diet really like?

12 years ago was when I was also  diagnosed diabeic & believed my diet was good.

If your worried about ED then perhaps its time to look hard at your BG & determine if your diet needs tweaking.

 

We will help you with diet & ideas if you want.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dowling
16 hours ago, don1942 said:

In my opinion, this is a very relevant question for this forum. Diabetes is one of the major causes of ED. Excess glucose causes nerve damage in the form of peripheral neuropathy in the penis. Excess glucose also causes autonomic neuropathy which affects involuntary bodily functions, including sexual response.

 

When PDE5s became ineffective for me, I was prescribed Trimix injections which worked well for a number of years until they Also became ineffective. I am currently using a vacuum erection device. You should check out FrankTalk.org, a forum devoted to helping guys suffering with ED.

 

 

I did not know this but my advice still stands. A PSI is essential for a man the poster's age and maybe yours Don. I watched my husband whither away from prostate cancer when having this test and getting meds to shrink the prostate would have saved him.

 

I do know you can help neuropathy in the feet and hands with a low carb diet so maybe lowering the number of carbs will help this problem too, If it were me I'd choose that option rather than take injections or use some device, Of course I hate taking drugs of any sort unless they are absolutely necessary and will do anything to avoid them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FunDad62

From my research.... ED is the canary in the coal mine.  If you have plaque buildup in your body anywhere, you have it everywhere.  And the veins and arteries in the penis are very small so this is an early sign of atherosclerosis.  Check out www.nutritionfacts.org and search for ED.  You are what you eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
don1942

My T levels are usually at the lower end of the acceptable range so at one point my urologist prescribed testosterone replacement therapy. It Significantly increased my T and helped The ED somewhat but after six Months, my endocrinologist noted that my PSA had increased from 1.2 to 1.8,. Still at a low level, but he recommended I phase out of TRT as rising PSA is not a good trend.  My PSA is tested at least once a year.

Edited by don1942

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bespawlerbison

Just out of curiosity, what are the benefits of testosterone replacement therapy and how much does it cost?

Edited by bespawlerbison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ran23

I was 61-62, when my Doctor tested me, 658 free T.   More like a mid 20's yr old.  this was after 5+ years of a low cholesterol diet.   I was doing DHEA every other day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
don1942
11 hours ago, bespawlerbison said:

Just out of curiosity, what are the benefits of testosterone replacement therapy and how much does it cost?

Low testosterone cause loss of energy and low libedo among other things. TRT increases both. TRT comes in the form of weekly/monthly injections or in gel form to be applied daily. Under my prescription plan, the gel cost me $40 for a three months supply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bespawlerbison
On 10/1/2020 at 3:40 AM, don1942 said:

Low testosterone cause loss of energy and low libedo among other things. TRT increases both. TRT comes in the form of weekly/monthly injections or in gel form to be applied daily. Under my prescription plan, the gel cost me $40 for a three months supply.

Hi thanks for clarifying it, I do have low libido for like 2 years now but I don't think of it much. Can I take TRT without prescription?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dowling

A word of caution--high testosterone levels also cause the prostate to enlarge and perhaps to become cancerous. One therapy for prostate cancer is pills to lower testosterone to very low levels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
don1942

TRT requires a prescription. I stopped TRT when my endocrinologist noticed that my PSA started to rise (1.3 up to 1.8). 
 

I have read that heavy exercise can increase T. There are also foods that help increase T. Try a google search.

Edited by don1942

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.