Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
halia

What else is there to do during pandemic?

halia

Hello,

I just want to know what else is everyone with diabetes doing today during this pandemic that can possibly help to ease anxiety? I am an extrovert person with the possibility of being pre-diabetic, and for months now, I've been stuck to just talking with my friends to social media only and it's killing me. Waited this long not even sure when can we be free of this Covid-19 is exhausting, to be honest. Thank you for sharing your ideas. 

adiantum

@halia, you might get  a better response if you tell us where you live..country & its limitations.

I'm an old introvert,so covid hasnt presented me with any obstacles .

social distancing isnt a problem even though I take my dog to the park daily for exercise.

Do you meet up with friends on zoom?

Are you musical or creative? Try writing your experiences down as a song..metal,  blues, country or rap would be most suitable.

Dowling
3 hours ago, halia said:

Hello,

I just want to know what else is everyone with diabetes doing today during this pandemic that can possibly help to ease anxiety? I am an extrovert person with the possibility of being pre-diabetic, and for months now, I've been stuck to just talking with my friends to social media only and it's killing me. Waited this long not even sure when can we be free of this Covid-19 is exhausting, to be honest. Thank you for sharing your ideas. 

We won't be free of Covid 19 for a long time yet. Not until there is a vaccine that keeps us safe. Everybody is in the same boat. I just have to think of the consequences of not obeying health guidelines and that keeps me doing what I have to.

We are not the only generation who has had to go through hard times. History will tell you that. Just think of what stories you'll have to tell your grandchildren when they as "what did you d during the pandemic

Diana_CT

As an introvert I love this "social distancing" I read or listened to more books than in a very long time.

I have been a guest lecturer for a couple of college classes and I have two more this month.

Also I have been on a number of committee Zoom meetings or as I like to call them... Hollywood Squares

hollywoodsquares.png

buddy7

Do what others are doing, trying to keep safe from this wretched disease.
Without a vaccine, we’re in for a long haul.

meyery2k

Hollywood Squares and the great Paul Lynde!

I, too, am quite comfortable being by myself.  I have ample opportunity to ride my bikes.  My daughter is much more social and I see this is harder for her since she likes going out and doing the social things.  We try, as a family, to get together for dinners with her since she likes the time together.  This is a tough time for people that are social.

adiantum

Perhaps you could take advantage of the time & study a topic you have been mildly interested in.

Nature is a great positive  time absorber. Insects, plants , geology , weather or cloud formations just to name a few topics.

Paul Lynde..........he left us with wonderful memories.

Hammer

I am also an introvert.  The only difference that I've noticed during this pandemic, is that I have to wear a mask, and social distance, other than that, it's no different than my typical days.

Since you asked what else is there to do, well, I don't know if you have any hobbies, but my mother was into her arts and crafts.  She would make her own greeting cards for all occasions, she would put together jigsaw puzzles, she would do decoupage, etc.  I am a ham radio operator, so I can just turn on my ham radio and chat with people all over the world, as well as locally, if I feel like chatting with someone and meeting new people.

Since you are an extrovert, so that makes it harder for you.  You like to go out and be around people and interact with them, so not being able to meet people in person makes it more difficult for you to find things that you can substitute for that.  Maybe others here will have some ideas for you halia.

Dowling
On 10/5/2020 at 5:20 AM, halia said:

Hello,

Have you ever heard of skype? It allows you to see and talk to another person on the internet. Like a phone call where you can see the other person. Both you and whoever you call have to both get skype but once you have it it's almost like getting together in person. My DIL's sister lives in Australia and the 2 of them video call each other  when they have free time away from their busy lives.

In between you can read and expand your mind. Some libraries are now open. Check out UTube  for ideas on crafts or decorating. Get some extra cleaning or decorating done. Since Covid struck I've cleaned out my hutch and washed seldom used or never used things in it. I've cleaned out and organized my linen closet and clothes closets. I redecorated my spare room and sewed curtains for it

In nice weather I was out and about my yard doing work or just sitting on my front porch. Sometimes I had a book and sometimes I just sat and watched the people go by. Often those people would stop and talk a bit from the street.

In many respects my life didn't change too much

bespawlerbison

You may be getting boring using only social media to communicate with your friends but that will be obviously the only safe option for now while vaccine testing is still on-going and availability of it once globally released may take a long time. 

bespawlerbison

Edited by bespawlerbison

halia

Oh, I'm from the Philippines, and yes besides Zoom, I've been keeping in contact with my friends through facebook and twitter. Thank you for all the responses though, it's just that I got a lot of things, activities that I missed already, especially I always move around with my friends and some people here in my country aren't being participative and understandable to what's happening here. We are still getting high numbers of Covid-19 cases day by day, and I don't see any good changes anytime soon. Still, thank you guys for your feedback, I'll try to learn some things, right now I'm trying to learn to do photoshop with the help of my friend, see if I can earn something with it while on lockdown. :)

Hammer
10 hours ago, halia said:

Oh, I'm from the Philippines, and yes besides Zoom, I've been keeping in contact with my friends through facebook and twitter. Thank you for all the responses though, it's just that I got a lot of things, activities that I missed already, especially I always move around with my friends and some people here in my country aren't being participative and understandable to what's happening here. We are still getting high numbers of Covid-19 cases day by day, and I don't see any good changes anytime soon. Still, thank you guys for your feedback, I'll try to learn some things, right now I'm trying to learn to do photoshop with the help of my friend, see if I can earn something with it while on lockdown. :)

Halia, I have been using Photoshop since 1996.  I have versions 3, 5, 7, CS3, and CS6, which is the last version.  I am by no means an expert on Photoshop, far from it, but if you need help, just ask, and if I can help, I will.

ran23

Wow, all set to 'Aloha Halia', I guess it is 'Mabuhay Halia'.  When this SARS-CoV-2 hit, my favorite Men's Store closed.  I had lost 95 lbs and was learning a new style of dress for my senior age.  Then the local Retirement Home closed to guests (great lunches and dinners for every holiday) and no longer had a reason to put on a tie and jacket.   I still walk every day, maybe one guy that is wearing Allen Edmond's on his walk.  Best to You.  

meyery2k

Ran - Put on a tie and jacket once in a while anyway.  It really helps with attitude.  I work from home and don't have to wear work clothes but having work clothes on puts me in a good mindset to work.

Like they say in the Marines, if you look like a Marine you will behave like a Marine...

adiantum

Ran do continue dressing in style. I love to imagine how smart you look when you mention brands & colour choices.

If I wasnt in such fine company I probably wouldnt even brush my hair before posting my FBG.

adiantum

Thats a positive move halia, I wish you well at it.

Ive recently noticed the value of photography in advertising.

A house for sale changed real estate agents & the photographer of the new agent made the average house look amazing compared to the first agents photos.

I shop online & now notice how even a wine glass can look amazing if the photographer has skills.

18 hours ago, halia said:

I'm trying to learn to do photoshop with the help of my friend, see if I can earn something with it while on lockdown. :)

e8a8cd025cf269bc6777033772dc4845_46876.jpg

Hammer

Lee, I agree that a good photographer can make an image look really good.  I don't have that ability to take great photos, even though I have tried to understand certain lighting principles and the rule of "thirds". (I still don't know how to do the rule of "thirds".)  I have several digital cameras, the original Canon Digital Rebel, which has a 6.3 megapixel sensor, and a newer Digital Rebel T7, which has a 24 megapixel sensor, but I still don't know how to get a good picture.  This is why I prefer to work on other people's pictures in Photoshop.  They took the picture, so I'll see if I can improve it in Photoshop.  Sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't, but I always enjoy trying. 

Now my daughter, who has a bachelor's degree in photography, is the family photographer.  Over the years, while she was in college, I bought her a variety of digital cameras.  The last camera that I got her one year for Christmas, was the newly released Canon 5D Mark II, which has a full frame sensor.  When I look at the pictures that she takes, they almost look like they are in 3-D.  I wish that I could take pictures like that, but I don't have the "eye" for it, so I'll never be able to do that.

adiantum

I've always enjoyed reading recipe books just for the illustrations, all because of the photographers skills.

I'm sure lighting plays a big part, but they do have a keen eye.

Hammer you have posted a couple of your daughters photos & they were jaw dropping beautiful.

She is a talented  professional.

Dowling
7 hours ago, Hammer said:

Lee, I agree that a good photographer can make an image look really good.  I don't have that ability to take great photos, even though I have tried to understand certain lighting principles and the rule of "thirds". (I still don't know how to do the rule of "thirds".)  I have several digital cameras, the original Canon Digital Rebel, which has a 6.3 megapixel sensor, and a newer Digital Rebel T7, which has a 24 megapixel sensor, but I still don't know how to get a good picture.  This is why I prefer to work on other people's pictures in Photoshop.  They took the picture, so I'll see if I can improve it in Photoshop.  Sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't, but I always enjoy trying. 

Now my daughter, who has a bachelor's degree in photography, is the family photographer.  Over the years, while she was in college, I bought her a variety of digital cameras.  The last camera that I got her one year for Christmas, was the newly released Canon 5D Mark II, which has a full frame sensor.  When I look at the pictures that she takes, they almost look like they are in 3-D.  I wish that I could take pictures like that, but I don't have the "eye" for it, so I'll never be able to do that.

Hammer the rules for painting are much the same as photography. As an artist I can say that the best pictures never have the focal point in the center of the picture but always off center horizontally and vertically. That is essentially what the rule of thirds is. Your daughter probably has filters or lenses( not sure which because I'm an artist not a photographer) that fade or blur the background making it appear further back. I only know the effect I get in painting when I add the sky color or the main color to what I want to recede. The focal point stands out and yes it appears almost 3-D or at least gives distance to my paintings. I know the rules but I always move the camera when I take photos so I know it takes skill and talent to take good photos even when you know the rules

Hammer

Dowling, I've read about the rule of thirds, but I can't do that when I take a picture.  To me, if the subject is not in the center of the picture, then it's not going to be a good picture, but when I see someone else's picture where the subject is not in the center of the picture, it looks good.  My daughter is good at doing that, but I can't do that.  I don't have the eye for it.  When I try and place the subject off to the side in a picture, I feel like I'm not taking a picture of the subject, I'm taking a picture of what's next to, or behind the subject.  My brain can't deviate from placing the subject in the middle of the picture.  If I get a good picture, is was by accident, since I didn't know what I was doing.

The camera that I got my daughter some years ago when it first came out, the Canon 5D Mark II, has a 21 megapixel, full frame sensor.  Because it has a sensor that large, she is able to crop pictures in a way to get the results she wants, and still have enough resolution to print out a large photograph.  I have watched her edit photos that she took at a wedding, and when I saw her crop a photo to place the subject off to the side, I at first thought that was a mistake, but when I saw the final result, it looked really good.  There is no way that I would have ever done that, even after seeing the great results that doing that results in, I still can't wrap my brain around it.  This is why I'd never make a good photographer.

I have always wanted to be able to paint, but again, I'd be terrible at it, since I'd do the same thing with a painting, that I do with taking pictures, plus, I can't draw a straight line, so I'd never be able to paint.  I'd be interested to see some of your paintings Dowling, if you'd feel comfortable posting them here, or maybe to some other site.  I have always been fascinated by how a painter is able to put on canvas, what they see in their mind.

Dowling
8 hours ago, Hammer said:

I have always wanted to be able to paint, but again, I'd be terrible at it, since I'd do the same thing with a painting, that I do with taking pictures, plus, I can't draw a straight line, so I'd never be able to paint.  I'd be interested to see some of your paintings Dowling, if you'd feel comfortable posting them here, or maybe to some other site.  I have always been fascinated by how a painter is able to put on canvas, what they see in their mind.

Funny you should give that draw a straight line remark. That's a hard thing to do whether painting or drawing. Most of the skill of drawing can be learned as can painting. The resulting image tells you if they have talent or not. If you can get a hold of it "Drawing on the right side of the Brain" explains it all.

It's not always what we see in our mind, in fact most of the time that's only a small part. A painting takes more than putting paint on canvas. Most often it takes planning and trial and error. I work mainly from photos or sketches or small paint sketches. If I work from photos they can be cropped or pieces moved around or changed but most of that is done before I touch a paint brush but it depends on my subject. If it's a landscape I may just do a quick sketch leaving out what I don't want and then start right on the canvas and things may change as I go along.

Asking any artist to see their work is like asking a politician to make a speech. Of course I don't mind I'm just not sure how to post them any more. I did post a couple here a few years ago when there was a craft or hobby or handicraft thread. Although I've done many paintings I only have a few saved on my computer but I don't mind sharing them if I could figure out how to do it

Dowling
2 hours ago, meyery2k said:

@Dowling - Those are great! ~ Mike

Thanks Mike.  I wasn't sure if they got posted. They didn't open when I tried. They are paintings I did quite a while ago and had put on my computer. I don't often do that but I put them in an art show and had to submit photo's before entering them. The tri-collie is my sister's dog and she wanted a painting of it. The sleigh ride was one I did for a friend's daughter's wedding present in 2009. A painting is my usual wedding gift. 

I paint for the joy of it but it's nice when someone likes the finished product

Edited by Dowling