Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
halia

What else is there to do during pandemic?

Hammer

Wow Dowling, those are fantastic!  I've always wondered when I see paintings like that, how long it takes to paint one of those?  When I see the detail, it must take a long time to get that detail in the picture.  Have you ever sold any of your paintings?

Dowling
1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Wow Dowling, those are fantastic!  I've always wondered when I see paintings like that, how long it takes to paint one of those?  When I see the detail, it must take a long time to get that detail in the picture.  Have you ever sold any of your paintings?

I paint in the realistic style and in oils so it does take a while. Oils take a long time to dry so lots of that time is taken up with waiting for the paint to dry before I add another coat. It takes many layers to paint realistic fur. When I paint an animal or something with a lot of detail I usually work on more than 1 painting at a time.

With the sleigh ride one the composition had been worked out before I started painting but there were changes along the way. Always though there is waiting time for the paint to dry before adding highlights and such. I'm in no hurry though. It's not like it's a business and things have to be done at a certain time.

I have sold some but selling art as a business takes too much time and energy. Buyers don't come to you as a rule. It takes attending shows constantly and getting your work in front of the public to become known. It takes getting to know dealers and galleries. To me that would take all the joy out of painting, I do attend shows occasionally and exhibit my paintings and have sold some that way but I also enjoy giving my paintings to people. I'm a sucker for a friend who raves about a certain painting and before long it's theirs

Hammer

Dowling, hearing that you paint in layers reminds me of what I heard in the movie, "Girl With The Pearl Earring", which was based on the Johannes Vermeer painting of the same name.  When I heard the artist, Johannes Vermeer (played by Colin Firth), explain how he painted, it made me aware of why his paintings were so good.  The same applies to your paintings.  I'm guessing that the techniques that Johannes Vermeer used have become widely adopted.  The layers approach is obvious in your paintings as they are so life like and detailed.

When you do a painting, do you take a picture of the scene, then paint it, using that picture as a reference, or do you just paint it from memory?

Edited by Hammer

Dowling
1 hour ago, Hammer said:

When you do a painting, do you take a picture of the scene, then paint it, using that picture as a reference, or do you just paint it from memory?

Yes I use photos. Sometimes they are mine and sometimes they are ones others take and give to me. Occasionally they are ones I find on the internet that are not copyrighted. However I seldom use a photo as is. I leave out certain things or add things. However I do use the photo as a reference.

Take my sleighride painting. It started out as a photo of a house in Upper Canada village-- a pioneer village in Ontario. I kept the house as is but changed the size to fit my canvas. I did change the road a bit to fit the painting and also the background. There was a street sign on the corner that I changed to a gaslight fixture. It was looking a bit plain so I decided to add the horse and buggy. Painting is a process and and can change as you go along. I did use the photo for reference on color, proportions and style and I did use a photo of a buggy to get the proportions and highlights right

I don't think I've ever painted a photo exactly unless it's an animal or person but then I may change the background. I move crop and edit a photo to get the composition I want However I do keep the original for lighting, shade, shadow and highlights

meyery2k

My professional photographer friend gave a thumbs up to this photo which I captioned, "Just a cat in a box, nothing to see here. Move along".  He has had an incredible career with National Geographic, and he even stayed several days with Muhammad Ali to catch his personal side.  

121004096_10213999214454118_7903168875886974304_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=bMuvbZWZ1C0AX-Yx1S0&_nc_oc=AQnNybmo6RLeTj99VGOoMVJXotXtuxOLtMiitz8qbbyRWcQ-7_FZ09z1jQI2YeiVW2U&_nc_ht=scontent.fhnl3-1.fna&oh=339b8ef9950134607071c64523e5f787&oe=5FABF4E5

Dowling

Mike that photo wouldn't be as interesting if it didn't have that play of light and shadow. And those eyes1 It looks like you can see into his soul

Hammer

Mike, years ago, a co-worker brought in some pictures that he had just taken.  One of the pictures was of his cat.  As soon as I saw the picture, I asked him if I could borrow the negative of that picture so that I could scan it into my computer.  He let me borrow it, and I scanned it.  I used Photoshop to edit the picture to get the result that I wanted, and here is that result.  I call this picture "Lucifer?", since I made the cat have an ominous, evil look to him.

Lucifer.jpg.a9849188c8c92f1dde07a31e7d86c5c9.jpg

Hammer

I enjoy playing around with Photoshop, and an online class that I took some years ago, we had to change to color of the red car to a different color, so I changed it to blue.  If you didn't know that the car was originally red, you'd think that it was originally blue.  Playing around with Photoshop is another thing too do during this pandemic.  The top picture is the original picture, and the bottom picture is after I changed the color of the car to blue.

car.thumb.jpg.765cea34b634de31b87d64b120e98f0b.jpg

Kit

To start off with . . .

@halia this is a general comment and not aimed at you, so please don't take it personally.  This is 48 years of an introvert being forced into an extrovert mold speaking.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F! all of you &*^%^^&% &*&  &**&^ make us introverts have to be extroverted all the time.  Now how do you bloody well &^^*& feel about the shoe being on the other foot!!!!!!!!

As you may guess from the above, I LOVE this bloody pandemic and I DESPISE in personal socialization   (This is NOT an exaggeration!)  For the first time IN MY ENTIRE LIFE I get to do what I want when I want instead of being pressured into always doing what other people want me to do.

Well ok, I still have to work, but nothing is perfect

Now I have gotten that off my chest.

Its been a long time since I have done this, and the various methods have changed over the years, but I am sure there are equivalents.

Do you have any hobbies that the core of doesn't require another living being being physically there?

Maybe you like to craft in some way?  Sing or play music?  Garden?

Well there are groups out there on the internet for just about anything you can imagine.  Back years ago when I was full force into crocheting, I joined an online discussion group in regards to the subject.  It was so helpful in getting suggestions on how to do things you had never tried before.

This group also did charity work.  Once a month we would have a crochet-a-thon.  The event would start on a Friday evening and last until Sunday evening.  Everyone who participated would log into an IRC channel while we would talk with one another while while working on that month's charity.  Sometimes it would be hats and booties for premature babies.  Or granny squares for blankets for the homeless or those in shelters.  Of course not everyone was there through the entire 48 hour event, but people would come and go as their schedules allowed.

Every hour had a volunteer moderator.  The moderator's job was to take attendance at the top of the hour.  At the end of the hour, the names of all of those who were still there would go into a pile and the moderator would draw a winner.  That winner would receive a gift box donated by another member of the group.  Donated a few myself, won a few as well.  Moderated at least once on nearly every single charity event.

After the drawing, the moderator would report the winner to one of the organizers and then pass moderator on to the next volunteer.

And, because that irc channel existed all the time, there were always people there talking about whatever random stuff was going on or was interesting them at the time and similar.

What I am trying to say is that it is perfectly possible to be quite social online without HAVING to be physically in person or limited to just sad little video skype (or similar) calls.

One thing I really enjoy about being social online is that I come into contact and makes friends with people from all over the world, not just my immediate area.  I am constantly exposed to new ideas, new points of view, new experiences, and similar.

I can't really give you current examples of what's out there now because, well I am an introvert and I hate people.  I found the crochet group because I was looking for help with better ways to end one skein and start a new mid project, not because I was looking for a group to be social with.  Pretty much the same here.

While I am going into the office every day (I am utterly by myself 95% of the time), my commute time has halved.  I don't think I have ever driven through downtown Seattle at full speed in the 26 years I have lived here before this.  Given I spent a minimum of 3 hours a day just driving to and from work, that's some significantly regained free time.  And for the first month, I was working from home, so I was regaining 3 hours a day.  It was pure joy and delight!

At first, I tried out just about every single keto recipe that looked interesting but I never really had time for.

My eventual conclusion was none of them were worth the effort and I really despise casseroles.  :)

While I still have a lot of extra time in my schedule, complex recipes just don't float my boat.  Steak and asparagus is simple, doesn't take very long, has few ingredients, and tastes about 50 billion times better.  And it dirties 1 skillet, 1 cutting board, 1 knife, and 1 fork.

I do a massive amount of reading, but since I am an avid reader anyway, this really wasn't anything new.

I am currently teaching myself Java for a personal project and Python for a work project.  Having a lot of fun with them so far.  Actually that's my primary project for today is to hit Java again and try to figure out this bit that I couldn't quite get to sink in last time.  Syntax just isn't making any sense to me.  Periodically go on rants because the language of mathematics and the language of computer programming languages share terms but with very different meanings.  And my formal education is in math and physics, not computer science.

Finished up a crochet project I had started a few years back but had never finished.  Wished my eyes were about 20 years younger so it was easier for me to do the small threadwork I used to love.

Have time to play games with husband and friends that I just didn't have much time for before.  Also played a few single player games that had been in my queue for ages but never had the time to get into.  Next weekend I plan on marathoning Moons of Madness for a Halloween treat.  :)

Got back into coloring pretty early on.  I am not an artistic person, but coloring allows me some creativity with something where the hard work has already been done.

Pooh.thumb.jpg.85ce25d986fb0b714ff0aae9cb8ec75a.jpg

I did that during a series of meetings one day when I was still working from home.  Gotta LOVE conference calls!  No one had any idea what I was really doing..  Now I'm back in the office, I'm actually getting real work done during the conference calls instead.  Before I would have been stuck in a conference room desperately trying to keep myself from slamming my head repeatedly on the table

The big boss keeps threatening to send me a camera so we can be more of a "cohesive group".  I suspect he really hates me.  I hope he forgets. :D

Now this may vary depending on where you are, but at least for me, none of this has limited my ability to go outside and get some exercise.  I have always preferred to walk and hike by myself and so none of this has changed anything.  I usually have my mask in my pocket in case I see someone else along the way, but that rarely happens.  Was more likely when the weather was warmer.

So anyway, hope that gives some ideas.  Its perfectly possible to be social without needing close physical proximity and there are countless thigs to do out there for any interests.  All it requires is a little imagination.  Just think of this as a way to get out of your old rut and into the new!