Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
FunDad62

Recall: Metformin extended release

Dowling

That was a recall and ban of met by 1 drug company in India because of non medical ingredients. There is nothing wrong with the drug but a problem with the other ingredients that go into making a pill. Unless you buy your met from India or get some that comes from that company there is no reason not to trust the met you are given

stevenal
Dowling

Well the FDA is on top of it and the recall was in June so unless you are taking old meds it's safe now. You should know that the recall was for the nonmedical portion of the pill not the Metforman it's self

stevenal

As one affected by the Amneal metformin recall for the same carcinogenic contaminate, I can assure you the entire pill was recalled and not just the non-medical portion. Entire pills were returned to the pharmacy for disposal after the pharmacy contacted me several weeks after the official Amneal notice. They were replaced with another manufacturer's product.

FunDad reported a recall expansion that occured this month for unexpired lots. See http://marksanspharma.com/pdf/Metformin-Oct-2020.pdf for the actual announcement. Looking around at https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/search-list-recalled-metformin-products, I see that some of the Marksan recalled lots were not due to expire until 2022. This does not just affect old medication.

Metformin is said to be protective against cancer, but I'm sure it works better without carcinogenic contaminates.

I guess the voluntary recalls are reflective of the current anti-regulation philosophy. Wouldn't want the FDA to interfere in the free market by actually forcing recalls of poisoned pills.   

Edited by stevenal